Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2002 8:27:38 AM EDT
I live in california and own four AW registered with the dept of justice.  I also own many preban mags and two sig handguns with preban mags.  I know I cannot sell, or my girlfriend or brother cannot sell (if I die) in the State.  I want to know how can someone sell my guns out of state.  The guns are registered to me.  What provisions must I make so they can take these toys (if they wish to sell them) and get money from them.
Basically, what does an FFL in say Las Vegas, need to transfer a few AR15's, a M1A and sigs with preban mags.  I know they can sell mags over the internet no problem, but the guns.

Any idea what I should do in case I die before my time, I want my heirs to not have to turn them over to ATF.
I know this should have been posted in legal section.  Sorry.  I know I can convert my M1A to non assault weapon status.  If I die, what proof must my heirs have that THEY can legally sell them.  My death certificate, a letter signed and notorized, etc. what what what???
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I am by no means an expert on the issue, but I do not think that there has to be any 'transfer' of the rifles on paper like you would with a class three weapon because the registration is only in Cali and not national.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell them to sell them out of state after you die and to tell the state that you sold them before you died.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
rhatland
I thought the M1A wasn't a assualt rifle? if you take the evil features off of it would it still be considered a AW?
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I know of several Californians who actually store their ARs, AKs, etc. in Nevada.  There is no law against transporting your rifles out of state, and the sale of those arms would fall under the laws of the state you sell them.  SO, drive to Texas and take them to a gun show and sell them directly to an individual...no paper and totally legal.  Who knows, Nevada may have similar laws.

By the way, there is no such thing as an ASSAULT WEAPON, unless you include baseball bats, knives, box cutters, horse whips, etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
rhatland
I thought the M1A wasn't a assualt rifle? if you take the evil features off of it would it still be considered a AW?

You're absolutely right! Because the M1A has an integral front-sight/flash suppressor, get a "muzzle" brake from JT Dist. for $60 and the special tool and a allen wrench, and PRESTO! instant compliance, non-Assualt weapon M1A. I know this is full of $hit, but that's how the game's play here in Kalif.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
No worries!

Jody and your girlfriend will do the right thing with your precious ones.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're worried, send them to me.  I'll take goooood care of them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No worries!

LMAO

Jody was there when you left, you're right!
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#9]
caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm#11

See # 13...

Can I inherit and keep a registered assault weapon?
No. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 12285(b), any person who obtains title to a registered assault weapon by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 90 days, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer who has a permit from the Department of Justice to purchase assault weapons, obtain a permit from the Department of Justice to possess assault weapons, or remove the weapon from this state.

Link Posted: 8/17/2002 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No worries!

LMAO

Jody was there when you left, you're right!

NO; I'VE BEEN HERE THE WHOLE TIME I SWEAR OCIFER!

R35
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know of several Californians who actually store their ARs, AKs, etc. in Nevada.  There is no law against transporting your rifles out of state, and the sale of those arms would fall under the laws of the state you sell them.  SO, drive to Texas and take them to a gun show and sell them directly to an individual...no paper and totally legal.  Who knows, Nevada may have similar laws.

By the way, there is no such thing as an ASSAULT WEAPON, unless you include baseball bats, knives, box cutters, horse whips, etc.

Yes Nevada has similar laws, just a personal transfer, no paper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Screw CA!
Give them to your heirs and have them tell CA you sold them before you died. They can ES&D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top