Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2002 7:22:07 PM EDT
I have a .22 rimfire that occasionally fails to fire.

When I extract the spent cartridge, the firing pin has made a SERIOUS indentation in the cartridge rim. But it fails to fire.

Do you find that 22 rimfire ammo is LESS reliable than centerfire ammo??

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a .22 rimfire that occasionally fails to fire.

When I extract the spent cartridge, the firing pin has made a SERIOUS indentation in the cartridge rim. But it fails to fire.

What 22lr rifle and what ammo?  Sounds like either the ammo is old and has gotten wet or stored in a wet climate.

Or,  may be that the firing pin may have mushroomed due to dry firing. This could exsplain the reason that the rim is dented but the round is not firing.   If this is the case, then pull the bolt/firing pin out and check to see if it's still tapered at the end.

P.S. when is the last time you broke the rifle all the way down and cleaned the action including the bolt?

As for rim to center fire, both will have problems if the ammo is bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Its Federal Gold Medal target, and I just bought it.

Actually, its a handgun, and I've only got a couple hundred rounds thru it. Bought it brand new.

Never been dry fired - at least since I've owned it.

I think the firing pin may need replacement with the updated chisel point (Its a CZ 75 BD)

I was just wondering if FTF is a comparatively frequesnt occurrence in rimfire, as compared to centerfire.

(My rimfire rifle never seems to FTF, but its a bolt action.)

Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My experience is yes, as a general rule there are more misfires and also more jams. They are great for plinking / target practice but for more serious stuff I'm sticking with something centerfire....ECS

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, .22 ammo can be a bit iffy, that's why it's $10 for a brick. I've had the same thing happen in a pistol and rifle, so I wouldn't worry about your pistol.  Buy another brick and enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had the same problem with Federal 711 Gold when using my Marlin 2000 rifle. It will usually fire when I rotate the rd in the chamber & restrike it. For whatever reason it doesn't happen in my Browning Buckmark. Maybe this ammo needs a real heavy pin strike? It IS a PITA when shooting matches.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.

I was just trying to figger out if MY gun was strange, or if FTF are more common in rimfire than centerfire.

Rockin' on.....

g-

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope, your gun isn't strange.  Usually out of a brick, i'll get 8 or so that are duds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top