Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2002 3:45:21 PM EDT
I am looking for a pre-ban rifle to work on.  I Have seen adds thay state "marked Sporter" and "rifle is a Green Lable", what does this mean.  I have gathered that Sporters don't have a bayo lug, at least thats what it looks like.  

Are they true pre-bans that I can order say a pre-ban upper from Bushmaster and put it on the lower?

I also notice that this is specific to Colt AR's.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Green label AR's are Colt preban rifles.  The color of the label on the box was green.  (Some other colors are also/probably preban such as white and blue.)

I'm gonna let one of the Colts' guys handle that PC "Sporter" crap.  As well as fence, no fence, big pins, small pins, pig pens.........
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Green label is usually a Colt AR-15 WITH OUT a sear/disconector block, Blue label Colts have a "sear/disconnector" block, Sporters have no bayo lug & some are pre-ban......

my suggestion for finding a pre-ban to "work on", is find an older SP-1 Colt, they are more reasonably priced for begining a "work on" project, after you get the pre-ban lower/rifle, you can do any thing to it you want...., as long as it is LEGAL !!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt Label Colors

Green Labels were made from 1984-1989. If you get a Blue Label Sporter (no bayo lug) it is LEGAL to add a pre-ban upper WITH bayonet lug, as it IS a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Colt that says "sporter" on it and it has the bayo lug on it.  I'm not sure what sporter really means.  It looks just like any other stock preban.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The name model line "Sporter" was Colt trying to be PC before PC was inflicted upon us. I guess they didn't want to call semi AR-15s "Evil Black Assault Rifles". I think they currently call their ARs "Competition Match HBAR" or some such. Still gets Diane Feinstein's underwear in a twist.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses, things seem a little clearer now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top