Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2002 10:34:22 AM EDT
Want to buy another .308 to go with my M1a1. What to buy and why?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
DSA FAL or STG58.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Alaman...

You've got 2 main ways to go for hicap semiautos... question on your M1A1 - is that a Garand or an M14 (M1A is semiauto M14)?  If you do have a Garand, you'd enjoy the M1A/M14 type rifles' similar operational details.  M1A/m14 hicap mags are expensive, though.

[And if you have an M1A/M14 you might like a Garand, though good Garands are hard to find, are not hicap, don't have chrome-lined barrels.]

Sooo....

1) AR10 from Armalite or Eagle, in .308. Get a chrome-lined barrel (not a cheaper Eagle unlined barrel, nor a "match" barrel). If you can order an Eagle you'll save a few $$ but special order the Armalite chrome lined bbl. Advantages:  drill, features, and a few parts interchange with AR15. Quite accurate when using quality surplus ammo (Radway Green, South African) or Fed GMM. Nice trigger for out-of-box AR-type rifle.  Disadvantages: 20" A2 flavor is heavy. Hicap mags can be a bit expensive (M1A conversions). A bit pricey - at least $995 for the Eagle.

2) FAL clone: build up (or have it done for you)
a parts kit into a postban FAL. Recommend metric FALs due to plentiful parts supply. Wonderful rifles, parts are cheap. Getting a new barrel will essentially give you a new gun (maybe replace gas piston & cylinder too). Round up the appropriate count of US-made parts to keep it legal under Sec. 922.  If you're building up a FAL kit, start with an Imbel or DSA (DS Arms) receiver as they're known to be in-spec. Stay away from Century Arms mishmash parts guns.  Advantage: cheap (if you start basic), great rifle, parts easy to get, US parts are getting more plentiful. Surplus hicap mags are cheap!!  Disadvantage: short supply of new chrome-lined milspec bbls, heavy trigger, only reasonably accurate (certainly good enough for combat duty).  

See http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

Unless you are buying an HK91 (G3 derivative) I'd stay away from the HK clone kits. Looks like lotsa flaky stuff to me. Building requires some welding on to upper receiver. Real true HK HK91s are pricey animals and mags are expensive but they're great. [They do have fluted chambers and are thus hell on brass, resultant brass not really suited for reloads.] Hicap mags are also expensive.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It's an m14. Staying away from HK- already have 4 but not in .308.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmaLite AR-10A4 for general shooting - a little paper and maybe a little hunting.  AR-10(T) if you're gonna punch a lot of paper.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ArmaLite AR-10A4 for general shooting - a little paper and maybe a little hunting.  AR-10(T) if you're gonna punch a lot of paper.

Ah, I see you're from Alabama !!  

You might consider something with a manual bolt so's you're not arrested with a 'furrin' gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Want to buy another .308 to go with my M1a1. What to buy

Time for a Bolt gun to go with the semi-auto .308! I've been really happy with my Remington 700 VSLH (left-hand)

and why?

Bolt guns are fun and are a real tack driver with good optics. Besides... it will add some variety to your .308 collection instead of all semi-auto's
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone tried the 700 on the Accuracy Int'l frame?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a Stoner SR-25.  Why?  Because they are the best.  They are accurrate and reliable.  Very few people have them.  And they are just plain damned cool!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
A second vote for the AR-10.  Or, perhaps a Remington 40-XB Rangemaster if you don't wnat the black rifle thing?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Semi-Auto: a metric FAL variant. StG58 kits seem to have least wear on them but are getting harder to find (Austrians were excellent keepers of their weapons, shot little).  Imbel kits are plentiful, have excellent bores, but will need refinished (handled a lot, shot little).  G-1s are available too, but the Germans sold them to the Turks who don't know how to treat a rifle, bores may be almost gone. Get a good kit and build it or have it professionally built or buy a DSA StG-58.  Most well built FALs will shoot around 2 MOA, possibly better. Stay away from Century Arms stuff, they're a crap shoot.  Use only DSA or Imbel receivers, Hesse and Enterprise have QC problems.

Bolt:  Remington 700 PSS.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with the addition of a bolt-action rifle to augment your semi-auto.

It would be nice to have the slow fire, long bbl., fewer moving parts type of gun.

They would make a good pair to take to the range and play with and talk about.
Good Luck.

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone tried the 700 on the Accuracy Int'l frame?

alaman,

Why not buy the real McCoy and be done with it.
AI AWP, choose a barrel length depending upon your needs. These are amazing kits.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#13]
try a savage model 12........nice rifle!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got myself a Savage FP10 Bolt 24" in 308 Heavy Barrel for $350 NIB!!!! Drop Jake a line over at www.northeastfirearms.com and get one. I placed a 10x40 mildot and its awesome - ordered a new stock for it as well - custom trigger too 2oz-3lbs. ITs sub-moa out of the box but definitely get a trigger upgrade (all drop in kits -easy to swap). Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I suggest a FAL, get one built by AZEX or Arizona REsponse Systems, or get one of the new DSA variations.  Kit guns are projects and look like a project unless you have someong refinish it whaen you are done.

If you go for a bolt-action 308, and you should have one, remember a factory Savage or Remington will not always be more accurate than a good semi-auto, but usually this is the case.  If you are looking for top accuracy go for a custom built Remington 700 from George Chandler (Georgia) or Jerry Rice (NorCal Precision, CA).  These are the top 2 builders of tactical rifles in this country.  After mediocre results with a factory Rem 700 VS-LH (I'm also Lefty). I sent off my action to Nor-Cal Precision and hat it built up the way I wanted it.  Superb (but expensive).  All depends on what you want to do with it.....

BillSP1
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I agree with the addition of a bolt-action rifle to augment your semi-auto.

Good Luck.

ArmaLite AR-30 in .300 WinMag - you can get the '30 in .308 but seems such a waste.......good semis now shoot sub MOA in .308.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#17]
This may sound cheesy for some because of the price, for under 300.00. Charter 2000 CNC all USA made with shaw barrel, nice muzzle brake and adjustable trigger, black synthetic stock SS action. Put a Tasco mil-dot 2.5-10x42 with 4x4 weaver mounts, under 100.00. For a small sum of 400.00 you can have a gun that shoots 1moa or under with good ammo. Something to consider as an affordable option

gun blast 30.06 review!!!

Charter 2000 web page!!

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Unless you have an accurized and expensive semi, it will not rival the accuracy of a bolt gun.  I have a Remington 40XC that will shoot .20" groups with factory ammo.  My loadings so far are along the same lines, but I haven't played with it much.  I also think that when you're getting into the accurate guns, that your brass will fair much better with a bolt gun.  There are many more variables in a semi, which can be eliminated with a bolt gun.  I'd go for a PSS or 40X if you already have the semi autos covered.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want another semi, go with a FAL and pick up a 2nd kit for spare parts. If you are leaning to something new, get a Rem model 7 .308. That is a sweet little gun. Or if you are into really different. There's a German Bullpup bolt action heavy barrel. I saw one, its different.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're looking for a semi-auto with hi-caps availible, the SR-25 kicks some ass.  It's accurate as hell, and it comes in 3 diff configurations.  I have one an love it to death.  It is just so much fun to shoot, and much more accurate than I am.  The only downside is the cost. you're looking at around 3 grand for a base model, but it is worth the money if you have some to spare.  Also look into some bolt actions, Rem 700, Sig SSG, Steyer SSG, FN, and Accuracy Int.  Sooo many options.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#21]
BWeise gave some very good advice...follow it.I really can't see paying $1,200 for a DSA Fal when there are sooooo many unfired FAL kits out there. With the low prices of unfired kits out there and the abundance of them, pretty much makes the warranty excuse for the high price futile. You can go the build route, by an extra kit for parts, 10 new mags and a case of ammo and still come out cheaper than what it would cost for the SA58.If I were going to spend $1,200 it would be for the A'lite, plus you already have the M14 mags anyway.
...just my two
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#22]
If you're interested in low price and are willing to settle for a rifle with used parts you can get a FAL.  If you want an M1A try for an earlier one with all GI parts.  If you want an all new rifle your only choice is an AR-10 or an SR-25. Forget the G3 remakes.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#23]
If you've got an M1A and want another .308, I'd recommend an FAL. Second choice would be AR10.
Mags are hard to come by for the AR10, though.

Again, the FAL is a hard choice to beat.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#24]
The FAL is the way to go, my most accurate gun does MOA with issue sights, and my least accurate does 2 MOA with issue sights.  Mag's are $5 each, and buy a extra parts kit for spares, they are only $98.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
An STG-58 (metric) FAL from DSA - $795 dealer cost.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Get a DSA STG58A. I got mine and it's sweet. I passed on the M1A and AR10. FAL's are THE battle rifle to own. I actually enjoy shooting the FAL more than my AR. Parts and mags are cheap as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Get a Stoner SR-25.  Why?  Because they are the best.  They are accurrate and reliable.  Very few people have them.  And they are just plain damned cool!

I have a SR-25 (match) and you're right, it's very accurate and dependable. But, for some reason, I still prefer my M1A...just feels right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top