Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 6:16:19 AM EDT
Im a little puzzled.  I hear alot of experts say that a 1/9 twist barrel is the most appropriate for a basic AR 15 rifle.  Everybody use's the 1/9 (bush, oly, rock, etc.,)  So WHY doe's colt (even the NEW M4) still use 1/7???  Do they think its better? is it cheaper to make?  I can't believe that colt w/ their name, would purposly put out an inferior rifle barrel to everybody else's.  WHY the 1/7 twist??
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it has to do with the ammunition. In order to properly stabilize the tracer rounds the 1/7 twist was needed. I think I'm correct on this but I have been wrong before.
Jmpr90
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
It is to shoot USGI tracers.
cpermd
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It is to shoot M855 & M856
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Indeed, Colt adopted the 1/7" twist to stabilize the newer 62gr loads of the military, and to accomodate even heavier rounds in the future.  There has been some concern over throat erosion at the start of this very fast twist.  Colt does offer other twists, like the 1/9 in my 6721 Tactical Carbine upper.  This accomodates older 55gr ammunition that is preferred (by many, including myself) out to 200m.

I used to have a 6600 Match Targe HBAR that really liked 69gr MatchKings in the 1/7" twist, but it didn't really do very will with 55gr plinking loads.  The 1/7 seems to succeed with the heavier 77gr and 80gr projectiles that a lot of long range shooters like.  I think the 1/9" will do OK with 62gr, and works as a good compromise.  Bushmaster offers a pre and post ban 1/9" M4 upper which is as good as the Colt, even without the extra cuts in the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
As has been stated, GI barrels use a 1/7 twist to stabilze the M856 tracer rounds.

Colt 1/7 barrels are closer to mil-spec. Hell, they are mil-spec. They are probably using GI contract barrels. All of my Colt 1/7 barrels shoot both 55gr and 62gr ammunition just fine. Accuracy-wise, I can't really tell a difference between the two.

Colt does use unlined 1/9 barrels on it's ARs that are intended for use as more dedicated target rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top