Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 6:29:57 PM EDT
Hello All;

I have lurked here for a couple of months and have laughed my butt off at some of the more colorful posts. I have also appreciated the wealth of information about AR15's and life in general.
  I bought my Colt HBAR right before the AW Ban in California a few years ago. I don't take it to range much because of the strange looks I get and the general bad vibe I get from the range masters. The only time I get to shoot is when I take it to my uncle’s place in Utah.
  Anyways, my questions, what kinda wear should I expect after say 2000 rds? What should I be looking for as far functionality? I have had only one jam in about 2000rds. Is this normal? Do I need to start thinking about replacing worn parts? If so, what parts wear out first?

Thanks in advanced,
Michael
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If you've only had one jam in 2K round you obviosly don't need to worry about wear and parts replacement. When your baby needs parts she'll tell ya.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Parts should not fail anywhere near 2k, but you might want to keep an emergency repair kit with springs and pins handy. As long as your weapon is still grouping tightly, and not spitting bullets out sideways(Keyholing)it should last easily for 10,000 rds and beyond. Proper maintenance is key to your weapons lifespan. There was a 10k round test done with a new Colt HBAR over three days, which is torture IMO. The weapon ended up with an eroded barrel throat at 9k, but an ammo brand switch put the groups just over an inch even though it was wasted. So under normal use, you should get well over 10k. BTW the Colt went through those 10k without any malfunction. Amazing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're the type that likes to take it into the boonies, and play war games of one type or another, you may not ever need parts.  About the only thing that really is going to wear out on an AR15 is the extractor spring, maybe the extractor, and very occasionally a firing pin.  If you pick up a couple of spares of each of these parts, you'll quite possibly be set for the rest of your life.  I've owned a CAR15 for over 25 years, have about 7000 rounds thru it, and the only thing I've had to replace was the extractor spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top