Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2002 6:42:03 PM EDT
OK...First of all yes This is my first post.  I Recently purchased my first rifle.....A Bushy and love every inch of that thing.  Well here is my question.  I bought the rifle, shot about 250rds through it and did alright with the iron sights.  I then purchased a Bushnell HoloSight.  I love it but cant seem to get accuracy out of it.  I zero'd it in at about 60yds or so.  I have heard that there is some rise in the ar15's w/ 16" barrels but not that much with a 20".  Is this true?  and would a brake help?  If so any reccomendations on a nice brake that doesent involve drilling, welding or the Jedi Force to attatch it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]
First, welcome to AR15.com !!

To be perfectly honest, I use a brake on postbans because I just don't like the look of a bare barrel on an AR-15 type weapon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I can sum this up with three words, Wilson Combat Tac Brake. Ur, let's see here 1, 2, 3 ,4. Well ok four words.

Can be had by sending your topend and about $80 to Wilson. Won't do a thing for your accuracy but will make the gun look better, get rid of the flame thrower effect common to 16" postbans and will be easier to make fast consecutive hits with.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi, from one newbie to another! I would agree with these two... I just sent my upper in to Wilson Combat to have their brake put on, just because the damn thing looks naked without SOMETHING tacked on the end!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get a Smith Enterprises brake from www.deltaforce.com for $45.00. I have one of these on a Colt 16" and like it well enough. These just attach to the end of the barrel with set screws, so they are easy to put on and take off. The only problem is that there is a very real liklihood that these will be blown off with the muzzleblast. It may travel pretty far downrange also. I plan to get one of the Wilson A2 style brakes myself soon. These look really good. But to install them, your post-ban barrel must be threaded and then the brake 1200 degree silver soldered on to be legal. But at least it will stay in place. I am checking with my gunsmith to see if he can do this. Something about taking my baby's upper and sending it off just doesn't sit well with me! LOL.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my Wilson. They did a great job.

www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=335435
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
First of all, welcome!

If you're going to get a brake, get the Wilson.  Looks almost like the birdcage. Don't get a mini y comp because they are feisty little bastards.  They are loud as hell, and they always shoot the gas back at you!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a couple of nice pics I saw in here but I thought that threading the end of a Post-Ban 20" Barrel was a no no.  If its not then,  Whoa...IM THERE!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Greetings & Welcome!

I agree with 5subslr5, the "naked" barrel looks kind of strange, except for on the Dissipator style, just my opinion.
One of my Bushmasters have the AK brake on it, tho it looks cool, it's way too loud!
The Wilson brake, as well as the ones by KKF are much less noisy from what I've read here.
I plan to get one of those for my Bushy A3 20".
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are a couple of nice pics I saw in here but I thought that threading the end of a Post-Ban 20" Barrel was a no no.  If its not then,  Whoa...IM THERE!!!

As long as it is a muzzlebrake (doesn't reduce flash) and is permanently-attached, it is legal. I also prefer a muzzlebrake on a post-ban, not to control muzzle climb, but to enhance the appearance of that plain muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Welcome!

If I have to have a brake I prefer the AK brakes myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top