Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2002 2:16:35 PM EDT
Gentlemen:

Been gone for a while, working to get my act together, and we have a somewhat new series of acts about to debut on OLN.

What the producers are putting up is a series of "best of" shows that are stories from some years back, but freshened with new hosting sections and new Gun Tech segments. So the products are new, even though I'm getting older by the week.

First air play is on Friday July 19th at 8:30 PM Eastern, and again at 11:30PM Eastern.

Then Saturday at 9:00AM Eastern... third play of the show of that weekend.

This pattern will repeat for as far as the OLN schedule continues.

There is some question about how well the American Shooter website is being maintained these days... so it's not the reliable resource of information it was at one time.

That's why I'm recommending the new JimScoutten.com site for checking the OLN schedule, if you aren't offended by both cars and guns at one location.  

Under Guns you'll find a button for TV Schedule... that will suck the OLN American Shooter schedule right into the page for your consideration. And the show description will pull down from the underlined subject of each show.

Meantime, be sure you've got the latest version of my e-mail. The old address will be disappearing in the near future. I've decided I'm fed up with changing ISP's, so I'm going with the life-time address: [email protected]

Spread that around as far as possible. My gun questions column for NBS Fish and Hunt magazine depends on getting some questions and comments.

Best Regards and keep those flags flying!

Jim Scoutten

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Great to hear about your show getting back on the air with new content. New and improved is always good. Cars and Guns on the same page...As a shooter and a wrencher, that is as good as it gets for me. Thanks for the heads up Jim.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You should do a segment on Goatboy!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Actually, I've met Goatboy.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Jim thanks for the update.  I enjoy the show and it seems that it is easier to find now that it is on OLN.  Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Always on my list of shows to see on weekend mornings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I've met Goatboy.

Jim

He kinda looks like Will Smith, doesn't he?

Jim, thanks for supporting the site. And if your ever near the South Street Seaport in Manhattan look me up and I give you a tour of the Fulton Fish Market.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Jim: It's a great show, I wish there were more like it. I don't know how recent it was, but just last week I watched the show that featured the Benelli plant in Italy, and that guy-whose-name-I-can't-remember do the shooting tricks with the .45. When he shot that marble, my girlfriend and I both looked at one another and said in stereo, "I hope I never piss THAT guy off!" I also learned a new handgun grip technique from another of your shows and it works pretty good (well, actually better than I was dong before) so I try to catch your show whenever possible. Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Jim,never miss the show when posible. Great to see shows about service match rifles and the like. Keep up the great work. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
and that guy-whose-name-I-can't-remember do the shooting tricks with the .45. When he shot that marble, my girlfriend and I both looked at one another and said in stereo, "I hope I never piss THAT guy off!"

Gamesniper:

That would be Mr. Bob Munden (notice I said "Mister")

Actually, Bob is a great guy and a remarkable gunsmith for SAA's.  He recently rebuild a 3rd Generation Colt for me and it is "butter".

Jim
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Jim,

You have one of the best shows on TV.

I look forward to the new season.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Jim, I have been catching the show on OLN. Thanks for the hard work and I am looking forward to the new shows.
I added your URL to my favorites.
Do you ever talk to the guys at Cycle World?
How about a guns/bikes/cars segment!
WooHoo!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I love American shooter! its great that Bob Munden guy is amazing.

Jim, what kind of 1911 do you use to shoot with in the show, and is it your own piece or is it something special for the show??
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Ha Ha! "Guns..Cars - It's all internal cumbustion". I love that!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Jim, what kind of 1911 do you use to shoot with in the show, and is it your own piece or is it something special for the show??

For those teaching segments, I was using a Springfield TRP in Stainless that I still have.  There was some question about whether I'd get away with it, since Rob popped a few test shots right out of the box and it was so accurate he wasn't sure whether I needed it or if he'd better hang on to it.  

(We looked like two five year olds both hanging on to the same toy at the sandbox.)

Besides that, I've got a Colt 1991 A-1 that I've had for years, and a Thunder Ranch Special from Les.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Great!
I have my sat. set up to record to the hard drive and watch later. Reruns or not Im still watching to see if I have missed one.
Jim the instruction by Rob has helped me with IDPA (I got nowhere to go but up) and hope there is more regardless of what discipline it is, rifle, handgun or shotgun. Maybe trap shooting tips or such.
MORE GUN TECH!! Thats one of the items I really like, maybe a segment on reloading. I have to say my least favorite things are the trick shooting. My .02 cents.
Still a great show and I look fwd to new ones.
One last thing. If I could make ONE suggestion more than anything else please remind people to JOIN THE NRA! Put up a crawler or something with the phone number to call to join. That should be mentioned every show.
Keep up the good work and thanks for a great show.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey Jim,

Whats up with TNN? I Dont know if the Issue has been talked about before but Is American Shooter still on TNN? First the Shows were on Sun at about 6:30 but then they Went away untill last Sat or Sun night i seen one on (I forget what channel) at 12:30.

Man the show is great, Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If I could make ONE suggestion more than anything else please remind people to JOIN THE NRA! Put up a crawler or something with the phone number to call to join. That should be mentioned every show.

Best I can do there is the "click to join" button on my website.  The guys who own the show have always been nervous about the politics, so no join up message on TV.

However, those shows covering NRA National Championships do tend to make the point.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hey Jim,

Whats up with TNN? I Dont know if the Issue has been talked about before but Is American Shooter still on TNN? First the Shows were on Sun at about 6:30 but then they Went away untill last Sat or Sun night i seen one on (I forget what channel) at 12:30.

Man the show is great, Good Luck

Tony:

The show got moved off TNN to OLN the first week in January of this year.  TNN got new management based in New York City.  That should make things clear to you.

That late night show you saw means you have OLN on your cable system.  So you're all set, if you track the schedule.  And you'll find a good number of former TNN Outdoor shows are also there at OLN.  

Jim
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That would be Mr. Bob Munden (notice I said "Mister")

Jim

Jim,
Has anyone ever thought about getting Bob Munden & the S&W shooter, Jerry Michoulek (SP?) together for a little fun/shoot off?

Clearly both use ree-volvers, both are faster than poop thru a goose & both hit what they're aiming at & both have fun!

If you use my idea I'll waive my usual fee.  >gg<
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Jim,
Has anyone ever thought about getting Bob Munden & the S&W shooter, Jerry Michoulek (SP?) together for a little fun/shoot off?

Clearly both use ree-volvers, both are faster than poop thru a goose & both hit what they're aiming at & both have fun!

If you use my idea I'll waive my usual fee.  >gg<

Fair enough waiving the fee.

We had a little back and forth thing going this past season, that actually got started by Bob harassing Jerry on the air... and then Jerry had to answer him... and it was fun watching.

Jim

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Jim, keep up the good work!  I do appreciate showing affordable weapons as well as the stuff people dream of having in the Gun Tech sections of the show.  Without the affordable gun, it's like teasing.

I'm also glad to see the wide variety of shooting sports get their time on the show.  I never guessed I would see civil war cannon competition!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Jim, keep up the good work!  I do appreciate showing affordable weapons as well as the stuff people dream of having in the Gun Tech sections of the show.  Without the affordable gun, it's like teasing.

I'm also glad to see the wide variety of shooting sports get their time on the show.  I never guessed I would see civil war cannon competition!

Neither did I imagine we'd be covering thousand yard shots with 20 lb. bullets when we started out 10 years ago.

And that affordable question?  It's my impression that in the gun industry, unlike many other types of products... you really do get what you are willing to pay for.

Jim  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Point well taken when it comes to affordability.  There's alot of good products in the Gun Tech section that shout "must have."  Every day I try to find a reason to justify owning one of the many flavors offered by Barret in the .50 cal category.  Unfortunately, the $3000-$7000 doesn't jump out of my pocket as easily as $200-$1500 can when the time is right.  Bummer.  I can still look, right?

I'm done venting now.  Again, keep up the good work!

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Point well taken when it comes to affordability.  There's alot of good products in the Gun Tech section that shout "must have."  Every day I try to find a reason to justify owning one of the many flavors offered by Barret in the .50 cal category.  Unfortunately, the $3000-$7000 doesn't jump out of my pocket as easily as $200-$1500 can when the time is right.  Bummer.  I can still look, right?

I'm done venting now.  Again, keep up the good work!

What I really like doing is picking out something to show you guys that you are unlikely to see racked on the back wall of your local gun shop.  And then shoot a little and talk a little about what it is supposed to do for you.

But, there is some stuff that I just don't "get".  

Like the excitement over the Hornady pellet sized round.

Jim

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
But, there is some stuff that I just don't "get".  
Like the excitement over the Hornady pellet sized round.
Jim

Over at Specialty Arms, in LaVergne, they have a cast iron skillet cover that's totally vented by the little Hornady .17mag. Looks kinda cool.

Now, would a .22mag have done the same thing? Maybe, I honestly don't know. But it seems this caliber has seemed to have a bit of excitement about it that other new calibers have not, for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Unfortunately I only catch the show once in a blue moon now.  In No. VA.  I get the speed channel all day then OLN after midnight.  They also always change the schedule up. On top of that if I am up or out after that time I am not watching much TV.  I really wish they would get their s#it straight.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Jim,

Thanx for the update! I was wondering when new shows would be aired, as was my bride. Now, at least we'll get new "Gun Tech".

We do appreciate the updates!

Coz
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Unfortunately I only catch the show once in a blue moon now.  In No. VA.  I get the speed channel all day then OLN after midnight.  They also always change the schedule up. On top of that if I am up or out after that time I am not watching much TV.  I really wish they would get their s#it straight.  

Sniper:

That's your local cable system playing those games.  You need to lean on 'em a bit if you get the time.  

Or the FOX local channel will slap 'em up side the head... now that Fox owns a big chunk of Speed Channel... they'll likely make carrying all of Speed Channel 24 hours a condition of granting the cable system the right to carry the local Fox affilliate.

It will sort out.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Sniper:

That's your local cable system playing those games.  You need to lean on 'em a bit if you get the time.  

Or the FOX local channel will slap 'em up side the head... now that Fox owns a big chunk of Speed Channel... they'll likely make carrying all of Speed Channel 24 hours a condition of granting the cable system the right to carry the local Fox affilliate.

It will sort out.

Jim

I hope it will sort out.  TNN keeps screwing with the schedule of the car shows, Speed ch has some good stuff, but OLN is all messed up here.  I'll throw out some e-mails tomorrow, possibly make a few phone calls. I would at least like it to get on a regular schedule so I can tape it if I need to.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top