Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 8:13:13 AM EDT
I have to plan for alternatives if the Sam Houston range closes. I have written and emailed a lot but we will see.

I am going to be in the midtown area. Any recommendations on NFA friendly indoor ranges nearby and outdoor ranges that allow full-auto?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like you to use Bill Carter's range up in Spring.

Mainly because I like the idea of pissing off Bill Carter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont know of any ranges, but i do have a friend who is going to attempt to build his own indoor range as a buisness.  anyway, if we were to all maybe come togeather (he is looking for sponcers i think) and ar15.com could sponcer some of it, then maybe they could make it part out door and NFA friendly.  its just a thought though.  he is still in the planning stages of the range.  he is lining up investers if AR15.COM is interested.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey GungHo...right on about p*ssing off Bill Carter.  I used to trade with his stores a lot....shot at the Treschwig range twice a week, etc.  Over time he has changed his attitude about gun owners, etc. He actively lobbies against gun shows in Austin, etc.  He is against the small FFL dealer and has inflated prices in his stores.  

He was a master dealer for Colt and S&W...but hey they are a little hard to get now!  And he vowed he would never carry Glock.  

But his staff will sell you a box of Winchester Q3131 for $4.87 and hey, how about a Weatherby!!??!!  Bill is free to run his operation the way he sees fit, free country.  Just remember that...he does not support small business and is against gun shows.  

He makes his buck from the first time hunter, etc.  No thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe TOP GUN off of Berverly Hills will let you shoot NFAs.  They should.  I know that they have a full auto for rent there.  I think it's $50 for a full auto 9mm AR.

There was a indoor gun range in Arcola Texas for sale.  It was called DeVoge Gun Range.  I used to shoot IDPA there twice a week.  Email me and I'll give you the contact info.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help.
Citabria7GCBC if your friend wants to get it off the ground I would be very interested in helping, especially if he has an outdoor full-auto range. Please email me.

I also hope everyone here has done their part to prevent the closing on the Sam Houston National Forest.

I just recieved this reply and was hoping you guys could help answer his question.
[bold]
Mr. thee12nv-
Thank you for your letter regarding the Sam Houston National Forest Range.   Mr.Greg Ricks wrote me several days ago about the situation and I forwarded his letter to the NRA Range Department.   Mr. Ricks felt that at least a hundred other affected shooters would be writing to the U.S. Forest Service regarding their proposal of further restricting shooting activities in the National Forest.    I did not learn from Mr. Ricks where the closest range that allows NFA firing is other than on National Forest land.   Could you help me with a list of other NFA ranges in the state or at least in the East Texas Region?   I appreciate your assistance.   Good Luck in your efforts.

Sincerely,

Larry Tatom
[/bold]

I would assume the closest public range would be Dallas area?  And the closet rifle caliber range would be Sportmans outlet 30 miles NE of downtown. Please let me know so I can reply to his email.

If you want to contact him regarding the SHNF his email address is [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Pasadena Gun Range.  It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure they're still around.  IIRC, they're just north of 225 at Shaver & Shaw.  When I frequented that range in the early 90's, you could rent machine guns there and could bring your own in.  It's an indoor range and I believe the max distance is about 50 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top