Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2002 8:05:51 PM EDT
I wanted to get one of these so I could get old 1911 pistols delievered to my door but I heard that in CA the Pistols cannot be sold directly to the C&R holder it still must go to a ffl??? is this true?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You are correct, you still have the 10 day Background check. I believe you can get an additional permit ($$$), but I can't remember the cost. All I remember about it is most thought it wasn't worth it and many FFLs are unfamiliar with it so they won't send to you anyway.

I'd check with the DOJ though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
That is correct.  The only C&R firearms you can have directly sent to you are rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old.  You can, however, purchase any C&R firearm in person while out of state.  You just have to register any handguns within 5 days of bringing them back to California.  Also, you cannot purchase so called "assault weapons".
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wanted to get one of these so I could get old 1911 pistols delievered to my door but I heard that in CA the Pistols cannot be sold directly to the C&R holder it still must go to a ffl??? is this true?

EOD is correct...If you want to buy C&R's that are less than 50 years old, or any handguns, they need to be shipped and transferred through an 01 ffl.  You can get a certificate of eligibility for (I think) $70 from DOJ; you'll need 2 fingerprint cards and the application form.  COE allows you to bypass the 10 day waiting period, but doesn't allow you to have anything else...guns still go through an 01 licensee.

A better explanation is at www.empirearms.com, click on the link to PRK laws.  Dennis does a good job of summarizing.  Have you gone to the DOJ page and done any reading yet??

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
One nice thing is you can send the CR to dealers and get on their mailing lists. You then can see what is on sale. Some dealers will let you pay for a pistol then send it to a 01 FFL dealer of your choice. My local dealer lets me do this and gives me a discount  since there is no money out of his pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top