Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2002 9:33:37 AM EDT
I am looking to build my own preban AR.  I understand what all of the "evil" features are and the difference between a preban and postban firearm.

What I don't understand is which parts would I need to purchase to qualify my firearms as a preban?  Does owning a preban upper enable me to put whatever I want on it or do I have to own the upper and lower?

I was reading on the board and this might not even be legal to do?  I am not sure.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Person
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Some please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Whether you plan on building the rifle from a parts kits, or actually plan on machining your own rifle, you MUST comply with post ban rules. It would be considered illegal to make a new rifle with pre-ban features.

To obtain a preban, you'll have to buy a registered pre-ban lower.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Person24,
You would need to buy a lower receiver (serial number) That was built into a complete rifle prior to sept 1994. As of right now the BATF also considers any lower transferred without being a complete rifle as having lost it's granfathered status.(that could change again though) So without a preban lower it's illegal to add the preban features.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

To obtain a preban, you'll have to buy a registered pre-ban lower.

Not exactly "registered" but I think I know what you mean. A pre ban AW exsited before the ban as a completely assembled rifle or a complete rifle in kit form. Find a lower receiver that existed in either of those configurations prior to Sept 13th, 1994 and build your pre ban. It is a good idea to have some kind of proof of the status of the lower before you buy.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!

So what can I expect to pay for a Preban Lower?

Thanks again,

Person
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen them for $700-900.

I don't shop around for them too much though.

Don't forget!  The lower must have been assembled in Pre-ban configuration before the ban went into effect.  How to determine this?  Contact the manufacturer.  A pre-ban lower that was assembled in post ban config either before or after the ban went into effect, would be illegal to convert to preban now, by my understanding.  Someone tell me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
From talking to ATF agents over the last few years (now bear in mind that this is like a cop deciding not to give you a speeding ticket, you still broke the law) rifles with a preban lower receiver would not be a problem. Now if you want to put your future in the hands of someone else and what they want to do to you, go right ahead.

My advice, and what I'm doing, is to buy a used preban rifle with a good lower receiver on it. Then you can (one at a time) change out each component you want to with whatever legal preban hardware you want. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But all the ads in the catalogs mention that this is what the "preban" parts are for. "Only to be used on a weapon of ...before..." (preban).

Good luck but I advise going with a certifiable preban full rifle to begin with. JMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top