Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2002 2:11:54 PM EDT
I learned to shoot at 6 with a Winchester Model 61, which I still have. When I was around eight I was allowed 1 shell at a time and could handle it myself. At 10 I was given am Iver Johnson 12ga Single Barrel that was pure punishment. "Graduated" to a Winchester Model 12 (which I also still have) and at 12 received my first centerfire, a Remington Model 14 in .35 Remington (also one that I still have).

I've started my children a bit differently, I bought a Remington 1100 Sporting in 28ga to instroduce wingshooting, and they get to start .22 on my Win 61 and a Marlin 2000.

I've laid in a starter set for each child of a Russian SKS, an AR-15, a CZ-52, a Steyr-GB, a Ruger .22 Pistol, a Winchester Model 12, a Remington Model 14/141, a Steyr Scout and a Browning Auto .22. They also will each get a Class-III from my stuff when they are old enough, though not all will get the same.

I may be saddling them with my preconceived ideas in firearms, but even if I would predecease them I'll know that they were each affored the opportunity to start with good stuff.

What have you set aside for your children to learn and start out with firearmswise?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Want to adopt a 28 yr old self sufficient son?  I don't have any of those in my collection.

Seriously though...

My wife and I just had our first ... a girl ... and I'm not sure what I should set aside for her.  I've got my Browning .22 from when I was 8 .. that'll probably do for starters, but where to go from there?

Ryan
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Want to adopt a 28 yr old self sufficient son?  I don't have any of those in my collection.

Seriously though...

My wife and I just had our first ... a girl ... and I'm not sure what I should set aside for her.  I've got my Browning .22 from when I was 8 .. that'll probably do for starters, but where to go from there?

Ryan

I've had to do each in fours (under the premise that I am keeping one of each for myself) - but have done it over time.

I'd do the same for a daughter - good .22, good all-around centerfire, a good pistol (you never know if Uncle will make getting them hard by the time they are old enough), a good shotgun, a black-rifle, and a class-III if you can swing it (optional admittedly, but nice to have).

I'd focus on a nice 22 and a nice low-recoil shotgun for starters.  (I'd like to get each of mine a Bennelli Montefeltro eventually).

regards,

Clipper
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
They can buy their own guns.  

I did.

I have some "heirloom" rifles from my  grandfather, but other than those, my kids will need to start their own collections but for gifts.

They can learn to shoot on my guns.  I may buy them a couple when they're young, but if they want an FAL, AK, AR, M!A, Garand, etc collection, they're gonna have to bust their ass like their dad did and like their granddad did.  

Same reason i won't buy them a Beamer when they're 16.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Have you put aside any guns for your kids?  

No....I find a good scolding works just as well!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I did.

I have some "heirloom" rifles from my  grandfather, but other than those, my kids will need to start their own collections but for gifts.

They can learn to shoot on my guns.  I may buy them a couple when they're young, but if they want an FAL, AK, AR, M!A, Garand, etc collection, they're gonna have to bust their ass like their dad did and like their granddad did.  

The sentiment is understandable, but you have greater faith than I that they will have free and ready access to whatever they want to buy when they come of age.

I'd not lay in a beemer now for them, nor would I spring for one when they are 16 (I won't have one myself), but when it comes to quality life tools (knowledge, guns, rods, intruments, hand tools, travel and such) I'll not make economics the hold up in their accessing what they need to excel.

But heh, to each their own on this one.

The 'when you're dead' issue is a bigger can of worms - I've seen more people screwed up in life by a big fat trust fund that pays for everything than by having too little money.

Perhaps another thread sometime....

regards,

Clipper
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
but when it comes to quality life tools (knowledge, guns, rods, intruments, hand tools, travel and such) I'll not make economics the hold up in their accessing what they need to excel.

Very well said my friend!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
On the day my first born (a girl) came home, I made a stop by a gun show and picked up an unfired SKS paratrooper for her.  I cleaned it up, refinished the wood, but still haven't shot it.  That will be her job.

I don't even want to think about what my wife would have said that day if she knew where I went before picking them up in the hospital.  I'm sure I would have gotten an earful that day though.

At 2 1/2, Alysa knows that the paratrooper is her's and has even proclaimed it (gasp!) cute.  She knows where it's kept and has really taken to gun shows as well.

Makes her old man proud.

I plan to get another one for my son who was born last Feb., but haven't found the right one yet.  Plus, with two kids those gun shows get harder to get to believe it or not.  I will also get an AR and a pistol for each, and various hunting guns of their preference as they grow older.  That should get them started at least.

Saleen
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a AR-15 and a 1911 for each of my kids (3) which they will get when I decide.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I put a Romanian .22 bolt rifle away for each of my boys.  Anything else they want they can buy for themselves when they are old enough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got 3 boys.  I'm working on getting 4 AR's so they each can have one but I never thought about any of my other guns.  

I guess I just thought about the AR's because of the possibility of banning entirely.

Damn, now I'm gonna have to go out and buy a whole bunch of new guns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I have my first son on the way!  He'll be here in about three months which gives me enough time to build him an AR for his birthday present!!! Ha, if I could only convince my wife that the rifle is for HIM.  Anyway, as far as first guns, Cabela's shooting catalog has a "toy" cap shotgun that loads like a real side-by-side.  I had one when I was a kid,(4 or 5) and it was how I learned to properly carry and handle a long gun.  I already sent off for one.  Just my .2
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#13]
My daughter started on a Marlin 39A lever .22, and also a Winchester 72 .22 bolt gun.  She has fired AKs and my ARs, knows how to clean them Although she has not fired all of the following, she can still check and clear loaded SA and DA autos, SA and DA handguns, and bolt, lever, and semi-auto rifles.  From a rest she can consistently hit the 100 and 200 yard gongs with the AKs (SAR-1, WASR 10 and SLR-95) and also with the AR15 (Preban ST-prefix with floating handguards and match trigger).

When she's 21 she gets to pick what she wants then, (so far it's a WASR 10, the SLR-95, the Marlin lever .22, and a Bulgarian Makarov) and what she'd like when I'm gone.  Everything else will be sold off as I get older, and hopefully by me before I kick so that my wife or daughter doesn't have to mess with it.

Noah
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]

but when it comes to quality life tools (knowledge, guns, rods, intruments, hand tools, travel and such) I'll not make economics the hold up in their accessing what they need to excel.

I don't put guns and fishing rods on the same level as providing an education (knowledge, instruments, travel).

Maybe i have a different philosophy than others, and that's ok.  But, in my life, at least, I'm glad I had to hit the books hard and push myself to get a good job with a good wage so that I can spend money on guns and fishing rods and any other toy I have.  I have some things I was given, but, honestly... I appreciate the AR10 I sweated for over the M14 I asked for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I talked to the CAV. Arms guys at the BRC and I intend to get an A1 stocked AR lower from them--one in Pink, one in Purple (my daughters' favorite colors) with custom serial #'s and matching handguards.  I will get a lightweight 16" upper for each.  That is going to be a future Christmas present for each of them.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I did.

YUP!
AB
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget to add a M1 Garand to your kids "trust" account.

-- ale
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I don't put guns and fishing rods on the same level as providing an education (knowledge, instruments, travel).

Maybe i have a different philosophy than others, and that's ok.  But, in my life, at least, I'm glad I had to hit the books hard and push myself to get a good job with a good wage so that I can spend money on guns and fishing rods and any other toy I have.  I have some things I was given, but, honestly... I appreciate the AR10 I sweated for over the M14 I asked for.

You are right they are not teh same thing, but the quality aspect is not so different.  You can settle for a commodity education just like you can settle for any level of tool.  

Do we differ in concept so much on what quality is worth?

My willingness to pre-design a level of sharing with the children may be based on my concepts of the transitory nature of material goods ownership.  It's just stuff...

I think we both would agree that the cognitive and mental metal we impart on our children is a greater legacy than the gun metal of hand-me-down firearms.

I'm willing to lay in the material tools (firearms, hand tools, musical instruments, and such) as well as arrange the life experiences (travel, education, lessons, sports and such) to meet their needs of self growth.

I'd rather they learn to shoot with a good rifle, debate with a proper professor, and see the world, all while in their formative years than know I pulled the plug because I feel that I need to create adversity for them.

But heh, I've used the legacy of the way to think and act passed on by my father without having to collect cans for recycling for pocket money.  But with that came a work ethic, a self advancement ethic and a spiritual ethic that was the real legacy.

regards,

Clipper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top