Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2002 10:27:24 PM EDT
It's the old sniper gun, marked "Property of US Army/Government(I don't remember which)"  its the 1903, 1912, i dunno, im bad with dates.  The guy who's friend is selling it said it's in great condition, not the original scope though.  He wants $250, is it worth it?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
id jump on it since the CMP is selling 03 for 300 bucks
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The best place to ask is the CSP M1903 forum on Jouster.com.  They're going to want a detailed description, and they can tell you what to look for far better than I can.

"Sniper's gun"  Hmmm... It's not sporterized is it?

Is it a 'high number' or a 'low number'?  i.e. >800,000?

The true dedicated sniper version were manufactured with the markings offset to one side so the scope blocks wouldn't cover them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of those old 03's are too dangerous to shoot, steel is too brittle. I wouldn't take a "friends" word on a firearm as it will come back to bite you in the butt. A rifle blowing up in your face is no fun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
A buddy of mine back in Missouri inherited from his father a sporterized 1903A3 with an ancient Weaver 4X scope on it. It could easily be utilized as a sniper rifle. It's what convinced me to get rid of that 30-30 in favor of a bolt action rifle. When a gun is THAT damn accurate, you'll usually only need ONE shot. We, at 14-15 yrs old, we hitting the BASE END of a 12ga shell, or right next to it, at 100yds. If it's in good shape, go for it and work with it a little.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Any Springfield sniper in good condition for $250 has to be a steal.  The brittle receiver thing is an issue and I have the affected serial number range, but truthfully neither I nor anyone I know has ever seen a failed one?  Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have (2) Springfields with low numbers (one just under 300,000 and the other just under 700,000) and never had a problem.  Both were rebuilt for WW2 and have 1940's dated barrels.

Not all "low number" Springfields are bad, they just have a greater chance of failure.  

OSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top