Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 9:06:20 PM EDT
Just traded for a savage mod 99-f, with safty on or about the cocking lever.   Its in .308 win,some dork carved his initials in the hard wood stock(sick).   But it's the gun I bought and not the initals in the stock.

Want to know if this gun is post,or pre-war going by where the safty is.  

Benngimam0001 I know you are a savage guy, I like the 5 shot rotating mag, what can you tell me about this rifle.   It has weaver rings but some kind of williams 3x9 scope.

Bob  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a lever safety gun, it was made prior to 1960 (serial number will be below 1 million) and will be slightly more desirable than later guns IF in good shape. Barrel address should be Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts.

If it has the safety on the tang, it is a post 1960 gun (serial number above 1 million). These are good guns too, but not as popular with collectors. Barrel address will be either Chicopee Falls or Westfield, Massachusetts.

All are post-war guns and factory D&T'd for scope mounts (this incarnation of the 99F was introduced in 1955).

I currently have about a dozen Model 1899s and 99s, manufactured from 1905 to 1983. What did you want to know specifically?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the serial# is below one mil. and I have a Rem 700 in 7mmRem mag which has about 20lbs felt recoil.  After putting 1 and1/2 lbs lead weight in the butt stock the 7mm got quit tame(no more bruises).

Have recently bought  a cheap weatherby vanguard 300mag. It has a muzzel brake so I can expect about half of the 40 lbs felt recoil.but still i might have to put some weight in the butt stock to tame it.

Haven't shot a .308 since in the army(m1A)it had a little kick to it,but was much heavier than this savage.  It has a better feel to it much like the winchester over the marlin 30/30 in point of aim and feel to shoulder.

I quess I'll have to shoot it to know,but thanks for the insite as to the ser#s.  and dates of manufacture.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#3]
In these Model 99Fs (there was a pre-war 99F, but that's another story), the "F" suffix means featherweight. Nominal weight before mounting a scope is about 6 1/2 pounds. Figure with a scope, mounts, five rounds of ammunition, and a sling carry weight should be in or around 7 3/4 pounds.

The geometry of Savage lever action stocks is piss poor. Felt recoil in my .308 WCF 99F isn't bad with 150 grain 2800 feet/second loads. When stoked with 165 grain slugs around 2700 feet/second, it's a different matter entirely and not very pleasant from the bench.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Well my new son-in-law is an inch taller than me ,and about 20lbs heaver than me and 27 years younger than me.  So If it's too much for me then he will have an early christmas present.

I like my SVT-40 (7.62x54r) but it's gas system only allows a slight recoil.  My favorite is my 8mm hakim, with it's mg-13 25 rnd mag,lungman gas system no recoil.

But I just bought this savage because I like It's looks.   Looks like my rugar#1  in 45/70 gov,haven't fired it yet,probably just trade it off at next gun show.      Thanks for the chat.      Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top