Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2002 5:27:00 PM EDT
What problems have you guys had with your bushmasters.I have one coming to me as we speak but I just want to know if you guys have had any problems with yours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
None.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a problem with my rear sight needing to be very far to the right, and at least two other people here mentioned the same problem independently.  Bushmaster seems courteous about fixing the problem, but I am not a fan of shipping my firearm back to them and have held off.

Also, check how much chrome is around the crown of your muzzle, though not a defect, I asked them and they say they bead blast the barrel, plugging the crown and chamber, but some of the chrome may be removed around the crown when they do this.  All my other chrome lined barrels have the chrome extend out to the crown, and I've seen many other Bushmasters have the chome lining extend out this far.  Would have preferred the crown chrome lined for a bit more wear proofing.

Lastly, PMC ammo seems to feed poorly, another guy here responded to me saying that PMC ammo has really soft copper, which builds up on the feed ramps and causes failures to feed.  Have had good luck with M193, no jams.

Still glad I brought mine, but a little let down on the quality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a Model XM15-E2S. No problems. I would recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
No problems at all with my post ban HBAR
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
NONE
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a XM15-E2S 20" HBAR.  Mine is great!  Has fed all ammo I have tried flawlessly.  Even Wolf!  Very accurate for a mil-spec rifle.  My rear sight dead-on center after sighting in.  The only complaint I would have is the trigger.  It sucks, but it is a stock mil-spec trigger - they all suck.  I plan on getting a RRA NM 2-stage trigger soon and maybe a smaller aperature peep sight for better targeting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I can not seem to get enough of them, Trying to buy their barrels are hard sometimes and did I say I can not seem to get enough of them
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Gdean

Did you mean that you have had alot of problems with your bushies or sis you mean that you just cant get enough bushmasters.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Illusion, see my post under "Bushmaster vs.Colt"
Take care....
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 3, no problems.

there are more and more people saying that it takes to many clicks of the windage to get there zero straight.  It's been said that Bushy considers more than 12 clicks in either direction a factory problem and they will deal with it.  It seems to be more of a problem with their carbine more than their rifles.  My AK shorty took 8 clicks to the left, my M4 took 5 clicks to the left, and my 20 rifle took 2 clicks to the right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The only problem I had was when I sent mine in to have a muzzle break installed at bushmaster.

When I got it back one of my sling swivels was all bent out of shape.

I did not complain to them because frankly I don't have the time but it sucks because until then my rifle was in mint condition.

Also the factory 10 rd mag that came with the weapon did not work.  Which is pretty irrelevant since I've got 6 30 rounders made by Orlite.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]
i've had a total of two incidents of FTF/FTE.  one was a bum mag.  second was a bad mag spring:  last round could be knocked out by lightly tapping mag on table top (and i do mean lightly).

in case it matters, it's a xm15-e2s 20" HBAR.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Vinnie of course it's going to take more clicks to zero your M-4 16" barrel than your 20" barrel becouse you have a shorter distance between the front post and the rear apeture on a 16" than a 20" thus a shorter sight picture and it will throw you off alot if you arent used to it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
dissipator16, you posted you use Orlite mags in your Bushmaster, I was told they do not work in a Bushmaster by a sales rep at a gun show a while back, he looked like a dork!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Other than the crappy frankenmag that came with my postban causing problems, I have had three preban and two postban bushys and all have been trouble free.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
None, so far!
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
my factory 10 round mag didnt work either, but that was my only problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 20" HBAR. No problems what so ever! I guess I got lucky cause the 10 round mag that came with it even works good. I have heard several people say that their mags were junk. You won't be sorry with your purchase.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]
My five round hunting mag sucks big time,other mags including my 90 round drum work just fine.
I love mine as much as the law will allow.

Bob    
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 2:04:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
dissipator16, you posted you use Orlite mags in your Bushmaster, I was told they do not work in a Bushmaster by a sales rep at a gun show a while back, he looked like a dork!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have several Orlites that work just fine in my Bushmaster
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Now that you mention the 10 round mag, mine did not work either!  Its junk and I almost forgot I have it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I am one of the people who had to send there Bushy back to the factory due to rear sight being almost all the way to the right when zero'd @ 100 yards.

Even though I was heated I had send my Upper back to factory, it was only gone for 2 weeks and not one problem during the whole thing.

Bushmaster sent me a shipping label right away.
They also sent me an email right away with a tracking number so I could see exactly where it was at when it was coming back to me.
The upper couldn't of been more protected when they shipped it back to me, peanuts and healthy on the bubble wrap, which to me says they know how bad shipping can be and they care enough to spend the time to wrap it up right, that says alot to me!

It would of made it back into my arm within a week if I didn't have to ship it all the way across the US.

Even though I had to send the upper back, I still will buy bushmaster products because I had an excellent experience.

BTW, my 20" HBAR has not had one problem, and has shot every kind of ammo reliably (yes even wolf), and it's Mil-Spec all the way.

I am not big on buying cheaper brands, I'm a firm believer on "you get what you pay for" ,  
the bushy IS the exception, its 100% mil-spec rifle, with excellent customer service, and costs $200 less then the comp.

Why would you spend $200 more on the exact same product?

Logic Won this brand war real quick for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you sure your not gettin "thermolds" mixed up with "orlites"? people do that ya know.

Of course it could always be that the mags have been worked on. But all of the "orlite" mags that I have seen have circular mag catch holes. The bushamster mag catch is square. take another look @ your "orlites" and get back to me. If im wrong and they work fine then tell me and ill get some.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]
My factory 10-rounder worked just fine.
I use it for most of my shooting.  I don't mind wearing it out, and store it loaded to the max.

Rifle worked great too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#25]

you sure your not gettin "thermolds" mixed up with "orlites"? people do that ya know.

As an FYI, I have several Thermolds and they work fine. Ran the bolt over them a few times to "fit" them to my rifle. They have not failed me since.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
mine has been flawless since I got it last year.

I use the factory ten rounder and a few 20's and 30's.. no problems what so ever.  I would recommend BM to anyone ( except an enemy)
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course it could always be that the mags have been worked on. But all of the "orlite" mags that I have seen have circular mag catch holes. The bushamster mag catch is square. take another look @ your "orlites" and get back to me. If im wrong and they work fine then tell me and ill get some.

Here are a couple of my Orlites, they appear to have a square mag catch cut into them. I don't know if they came like this or not, I had them given to me a long time ago by a friend who thought he could use them in his Mini-14.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I had the dreaded windage problem on my Bushy 20" A2. 24 clicks off center. When it came back from Bushmaster, it only required one click left to zero. My rifle has been 100% reliable using various ammo. The only trouble I ever had was with the "Frankenmag" POS. I cut the mag up in pieces, but salvaged the green follower. USGI,Orlites,Thermolds have all been flawless.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#29]
My factory 10 rd. BM mag holds 11!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My factory 10 rd. BM mag holds 11!

Shhhh!!!

Now, for the childrens' sake, send that mag to me ASAP!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#31]
WolfAr-15 I did some checking into the Orlites and I guess they make both round and square catch holes, the Israeli Orlite surplus has the square catch hole which WILL work in the Bushys, kind of makes a guy wonder
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had all kinds of problems with bogus parts and have had over $300 worth of parts replaced not to mention gunsmith(BM) time and shipping costs.If I would have bought this gun 'used' then I would really be screwed. I still have to try it out with their latest 'fix' and for all the bad (true) things I say about BM I will also report if I ever shoot 1000 rounds without having to send it back to the factory.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Zilch.

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Bogus parts? WTF?!

Did you buy the rifle direct from Bushmaster, or was it a "gunshop special"?

I would really like to know what is wrong with you gun. I have 2 Bushmasters, 1 pre-ban, 1 post-ban. Both are great rifles!!

Av.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#35]
The only problem I had with my Bushies was only with a new bolt I ordered from them last year. It would do a failure to eject after installing it. Took the bolt apart to check the spring. I found a piece of metal shaving in the spring. Removed it and works flawless.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Factory Bushmaster rifle bought off a legit gun dealer.My bolt carrier was(well actually I haven't confirmed that it still isn't after they deburred it) scraping my upper(3rd upper in about 1000 rounds).I think that the upper issues might be because the carrier was not finished properly and I think that this should have been caught when it (unless upper was bad)was sent back the first time.The latest malfunction is 'failure to eject' which they say will be solved by new bolt.I've looked at other Bushys for the upper problems and haven't seen any but I know of lots of BM's with ejection problems.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I know that they can make a good product because of all you guys who swear by BM but they really need to do a better job inspecting and testing rifles and parts because there are some issues with their AR's (mine anyways) that make it unreliable.I hope that my problems are fixed and I will certainly let everyone know if my rifle has been cured because there are others with the same problems.AN $800 rifle shouldn't have any of these problems ... especially so early in life.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I would have to say, although I have only shot about 200 rounds through my new bushy I am very pleased with it.  I picked up an IDF surpluss Orlite today to try it out.  It is well used but the lips and follower look to be in good condition.  I will try it out this weekend at the range, as well as officially site in the rifle.  If I have good luck with the orlite I will certainly order a few more.  I tend to like polymer mags as I really do think they can be more durable.  

100 yards, with this combined with your earlier report of burning up the gas rings, this really sounds like a manufactruring defect.  Best advice would be to demand a complete new upper with all new internals.  It really sounds like things were just not lined up correctly from the start.  Probably made on a monday and QC inspected at 4pm friday. FWIW I love my bushy but it is still not up to the AK standards for toughness.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I had one where the gas rings were worn and irregular.  I replaced 'em and it worked fine.

Unless you're talking about a serious ground-up custom build, a Bushmaster is THE BEST AR you can buy.

By the way, since I live in CT I CANNOT own a Colt, so flaming me about Colt AR quality (which is high) is pointless.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hey Vinnie of course it's going to take more clicks to zero your M-4 16" barrel than your 20" barrel becouse you have a shorter distance between the front post and the rear apeture on a 16" than a 20" thus a shorter sight picture and it will throw you off alot if you arent used to it.

Thanks Striker, but the purpose was to let him know that not all Bushies have incorrectly indexed barrels.  When I said it's been known to happen in Carbines than rifles, I wasn't refering to mine.  Just that I've heard more people with Carbines complaining about running out of windage adjustments.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Those Orlites in the pic are extremely interesting to me, because I have looked at scores of them, and own 8 or 9, and I've never before seen an Orlite mag (til that pic) that didn't have a ridge around the body that butts up against the bottom of the mag well on the rifle.  That ridge has been the cause of most of the problems attributed to the mags, because many of the aftermarket reciever makers (Rock River in particular) don't chamfer the inner edge of the mag well as deeply as Colt, so the mags don't fully seat until you shave off some of that ridge on the mag.  Hmmm-- just when I think I know everything about a particular item,  somebody proves me wrong.  Another learning experience

Oh by the way, I've never seen an Orlite mag that didn't have a square seating well on the side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#42]
2 Dissipators and a Carbine. 1 Dissi had to have the barrel re-indexed and the gas tube sealed. 13 days from the day I sent it off until the day I got it back. Has been perfect ever since. Other 2 have been flawless from the start. Friend has had zero problems with his fullsize as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a BM Shorty AK a couple of years ago.
Wasn't long until I sold the upper, and got a BM M4-profile, post-ban,upper.
(AK muzzle break was WAY TOO LOUD for my taste.)
M4 upper has a 16" barrel with no flash hider.
My gun is sweet!

Only problems were with a USA mag.
Others say stay away from USA mags, but I say get one! They are great for failure drills.

Use Thermolds, Orlites, or preferably USGI mags, and whatever ammo you want, and you'll love your gun.
(Mine even shoots Wolf all day long!)
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Zero Problems...
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had my Bushmaster DCM for about four weeks and love it. No problems with anything whatsoever. OF course I have put only 50 rounds through it. Still breaking in the barrel.

Larry
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#46]
i have a 20" hbar and a m-4...the finish and fit are excellent...never had a SINGLE problem...the sights were dead on right out of the box..the 10 round clips work perfect...the best is the bushy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#47]
None, 200 rounds thru a Varminter, no jams, kick all the the brass in one place,(I love that) best shooting weapon Iv'e ever owned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#48]
There was never a problem with my gas rings but they did replace the gas tube when they replaced the upper (stripped) the first time.I didn't have any problems for the first 400 -500 rounds or so  but it went downhill after that.I'm hoping that all my problems were from bad carrier and bolt because I'll never get what I paid out of it and I imagine that most of these companys operate the same way (ship em out and see what comes back).I actually wanted my money back but they don't do that and they  said they replace parts as they go and no luck in getting a whole new upper assembly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#49]
aw heck I probably was thinking of somthing else myself. well anyhow I guess the only way ill know is to try one. if it works then im breakin out some dough and gettin some more! orlites that is.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 2:49:19 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm sure that any of the high end AR's (Colt, Armalite, etc) but I can personally endorse Bushy's.

I have a varminter (ain't that brass in a little pile sweet?) and an M4 and am pleased with both.

But like some others have said, "I just wish I had the money for some more".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top