Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 4:58:58 AM EDT
When it fires??
Does it just burn up with the power, or does it melt, go onto the lead?

Just a dumb ass question for a monday.   I was reading up on loading yesterday, and was wondering.
c-rock
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It gets expelled along with the shot charge. If you're not an avid wingshooter, visit a trap range sometime and look out ahead of the line. All kinds of spent wads out there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
it just flies out of the barrel. next time you fire a shotgun, look closer. you can see it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
it all comes out the end of the barrel just ahead of that high powered gas that was once powder that you just ignited wyth a primer..., as to what happens...? the "wadding"travels about 25 feet from the barrel & gravity takes over & they fall to the Earth, plastic wadds have 4 segments they just open lyke a rose after shooting, fiber wads sometymes disintegrate when fired......

go to a skeet or trap range you'll see where they go......
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep they just fly out with the shot and drop off  after maybe 20 yards or so. If you go look at them, many are amazingly intact.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
funny you ask.  For the longest time I was wondering who was shooting at my targets when I found extra hits on my paper.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yep they just fly out with the shot and drop off  after maybe 20 yards or so. If you go look at them, many are amazingly intact.

Back when I was younger, poorer and reloaded shotgun shells, I would pick up used plastic wads that were in good condition and reuse them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I just saw something about this on one of those forensic science shows (New Detectives, I think).  Some guy said he had accidently shot his friend in the back with a shotgun from about 15 yards while hunting, but the forensic guy found the wadding inside the wound, which showed that it had been fired from very close.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine, when he was a kid, used to load shotgun shells with a wee bit of powder and wadding and then shoot his brother with it. Left quite a mark.

Unfortunately the brother later grew up to be 4 inches and 50 pounds bigger than my buddy.

LMAO...reminds me of my misspent adventures playing Indiana Jones with makeshift blowguns.  OOps, I mean, that is terrible, we should set a better example for the children.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine, when he was a kid, used to load shotgun shells with a wee bit of powder and wadding and then shoot his brother with it. Left quite a mark.

OT: Boy this horseplay is really a dangerous practice. If your buddy had inadvertently gotten a real shotgun shell mixed up with his downloaded ones, he could have a real tragedy on his hands. The practice violates the rule "not pointing a gun at anything you don't want destroyed."
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OT: Boy this horseplay is really a dangerous practice. If your buddy had inadvertently gotten a real shotgun shell mixed up with his downloaded ones, he could have a real tragedy on his hands. The practice violates the rule "not pointing a gun at anything you don't want destroyed."

Oh man.  I guess I'd better stop then!

BTW - how do rubber bullets fit into that rule?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The wad goes flying down range and, depending on the design of the wad, can present a serious threat to those downrange.  The shot cups used with buckshot are not as much of a problem, but some of teh wads used with slugs can be very dangerous.  Many schools teach shooters to switch to slugs for times like hostage situations so that an accurate shot can be made but fail to consider what can happen if a hostage is hit by the shotgun wad.  

Jim Crews' "Some of the Answer, Urban Shotgun" manual covers this issue.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

When things like rubber bullets first started to appear they were misnamed "less-than-lethal" but that error has since been corrected and they are now called "less lethal".  Rubber bullets are very lethal, but are less likely to kill than lead pellets.  The Rules of Engagement for using rubber bullets are often the same as for using deadly force except that the shooters are given less lethal ammo for political reasons.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When things like rubber bullets first started to appear they were misnamed "less-than-lethal" but that error has since been corrected and they are now called "less lethal".  Rubber bullets are very lethal, but are less likely to kill than lead pellets.  The Rules of Engagement for using rubber bullets are often the same as for using deadly force except that the shooters are given less lethal ammo for political reasons.

I snuck into a law-enforcment seminar on rubber bullets; you are right rubber bullets can be deadly, there are people who have been severely injured by so called "rubber" bullets.  I have one of those things in front of me right now, it is about 1" dia about 1 1/4 long, and it is fairly hard. I think the less lethal way to use rubber bullets is too bounce them off the ground.

Sorry folks, I must apologize, I didn't mean to get us off topic, I know it is funny now when you look back, but the outcome could have been different, I just had to point out that this safety transgression.

Aimless: Man I bet your mom has a lot of gray hairs. Sound likes you were a terror in your younger days.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I shot several Federal Clasic Slugs, 1 1/4 oz, 3".  The plastic wad could be found on the 50 yard line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top