Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2002 9:06:24 PM EDT
Just got done refinishing my 10/22 stock.  I appologize for the quality of the pics.  The other gun is a MK II Government Target Model.

Also in the second image you will find a size 11.5 Hanes sock featured on my right foot.

Arent .22's so cute
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
COuld I "borrow" that pistol?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure, as long as I get it back with a threaded barrel and outback suppressor
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
You shoulda done the stock in turd green like that pimpin' M1 in the other thread.

Seriously, there's few things nicer than a firearm you customized yourself.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Schapman,

(In my best Cartman voice) Schweeeeet.  Mind telling us what method you used to refinish?  Always looking for alternative ideas.  I've even tried the McGee Easyoff oven cleaner technique.  Works too.  But it is a bit tough to make yourself spray oven cleaner on your stock.  Your mind says yes, but your finger won't push that button.

OK, if we're showing off .22s, yeah, they are cute,

Oh, they aren't mine.  They are the wifes.

James
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a whole lotta sand paper, cherry stain, and outdoor polyurathane.  The shiny guns are almost as cool as the evil black ones
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

James

Damn it Jimmy, gimme back my rifle.

Oh, wait a minute, mine has a s/s barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
DO NOT use oven cleaner or other solvents not specifically formulated for use on wood.  Most oven cleaners contain sodium hydroxide (otherwise known as LYE)  Lye can and will stain wood a faint green color. This is more apparent on lighter woods than dark woods, and can be hidden with dark stain.

The color is not the worst problem with oven cleaner.  The real problem is that sodium hydroxide can and will destroy the lignin that glues the wood fibers together. It can make the surface wood soft and punky.  So don't do it.

Use a wood stripper instead, specifically a wood stripper that is formulated specifically for woods that will be finished with clear finishes.

I highly recommend Peel Away 6.  It's hard to find and pricey, but it works real well and is not very toxic or caustic.  It'll strip paint, old oil finishes, varnish, etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
schapman, very nice job.  I like.  

JohnnyGT - all I can say is you must have outstanding taste sir.  

iceman, the oven cleaner trick was one I tried based on Clint McGees use of it on the Fulton Armory websight.  I tried it on an M1 Carbine stock.  Didn't turn out that well, but I think the stock is pretty crappy to start with.  Very rough wood and I might even do it again and sand it (something that is heresy for military wood stock afficianados)  I mean, it is OK but nothing like the M14 stock I did.  THAT was a beaut.

Oh, I did not use oven cleaner on the M14 wood.  I used Formsbys furniture restore kit and boiled linseed oil.  It actually looks better in person than the pic.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top