Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 10:01:30 AM EDT
I am wondering if someone makes a .223/5.56 upper receiver an/or bolt that doubles as a bolt-action? One that is a semi-auto with ability to lock or unlock the bolt when needed????

Where would I begin to look for something like this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Bolt action & semi are two entirely different modes of operation. You could not have one & then the other as wanted/needed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Woudln't putting a gas cutoff switch one the front site or on the gas tube work to stop the semi auto action?

Then wouldn't the gun be a straight-pull bolt action with a return spring and a funky bolt handle?

Just curious...
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
What about an upper for bolt-action only?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw an ad for sissy-fied ARs in a limey web site.  They were pump action.  Same bolt, similar carrier.

I hope that we don't let our country devolve to that point.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
David Tubb uses one for shooting highpower rifle matches. I think it is actually built on an AR-10/SR-25 style lower receiver though.

This isn't just an upper but definitely neat though.

Info can be found here:
www.zediker.com/tubb/tubbgun.html

Here's a picture:
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Removing the gas system or simply cutting the gas off leaves you with a straight pull rotating bolt gun.
If you want a Mauser type bolt that requires much more custom work and beg the question why?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Some semi-auto military rifles have gas cut-off valves that let you convert them to straight pull bolt action rifles.  Typically this feature is used for grenade launching.  The M-14 (and the semi-auto civilian version, the M1A) have this feature.

I don’t know of anyone who makes such a valve for an AR, but I’d think any competent machinist could do it.

Incidentally, the topic of converting an AR to a straight pull bolt action has been brought up before on this forum by members living in Pennsylvania who cannot hunt with a semi-auto.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top