Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 3:55:39 PM EDT
i picked some of these up today, anyone had any experience with them? they say on the box they will penetrate 3.5mm of steel at 600 meters! if they can do that a 600 meters what can they penetrate up close? so they are just called green tips because of the paint on top? and how do they penetrate more than FMJ, are the bullets steel tipped?

I am new to 223's so thats why i am asking all the questions, trying to learn all I can.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i read one thread on here where someone was complaining about inconsistancy.

they are remanufactured in Greece.  i personally would go with IMI if I wanted Green Tip.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
On the box it says olympic arms? made in greece. but anyways what is there main purpose it says "effective against personnel and light materials, not vehicles" why wouldn't they be effective against vehicals?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
the S&B SS109 (that you agonized over whether to purchase and labeled as "junk" without shooting it)is better, much better than olympic
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
at least this shit won't blow up my gun. The 3 page thread on not buying S&B 223 kinda put me off on the stuff. and how when I checked some out today and they were dented didn't help either!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
dude, im telling you the 55gr and the SS109 are completely different. and even made in a different factory. S&B set up a special production line for that round. they had it inspected and ISO 9001 certified. you think they can put that NATO head stamp on there just cuz they want to? they had to EARN it by passing stringent quality control inspections given by a 3rd party. keep buying that greek crap. the greek industrial complex is so weak and their economy so poor they werent even allowed in the EU because they were too unstable. S&B blowing up ARs is like saying you heard 5.56 was designed to wound or my favorite: "hey buddy, that theres an FN contract upper"
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#8]
ALSO. no one has ever said anything about SS109 KBing their weapon. its always that 55gr bi-metal garbage. AND i got news for you guys. that valuepack winchester 9mm at wally world is made by S&B.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
DvlDog: " keep buying that greek crap. the greek industrial complex is so weak and their economy so poor they werent even allowed in the EU because they were too unstable."

Uhhh, are you retarded?  First of all, Greece was one of the 12 original founding members of the European Community AND the European Union, so get your facts straight.  

Second of all, their industrial complex seems strong enough to build submarines, ships, missiles, artillery, etc. - so I think they can handle a f-ing bullet.  

Third, do you own stock in S&B?  5,000 others report problems w/ S&B, 0 so far report problems w/ Olympic, yet you go out of your way to slam it & the entire country it's made in.  

Did you eat a bad gyro or baklava or something?  Sheesh...
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
0 so far report problems w/ Olympic...

Err.... FWIW, several people have reported problems with Olympic ss109, just do a search for "olympic" in the ammo forum.  I believe there was also an extensive thread in the Rifle forum on TFL.  I've used their 55gr. m193 without issue.

Also, keep in mind what the olympic is advertised as - SS109, NOT M855.  Meaning that their ammo isn't NATO approved as S&B is.

Rocko
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I stand corrected as to the problem aspect then, but it still doesn't change the rest of the post.  
Just another example of someone not knowing jack about another country, yet finding themselves fit to make genereal pronouncements about it...
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
no Jobux, greece was not one of the 12 original states. they had to petition the EU 3 times before they were admitted and only after they settled their disputes with turkey and it was deterimined that the newly formed ECB would be able to prop them up. the drachma was toilet paper with pretty pictures on it and it was feared that the drachma would devalue the economies of strong industrial nations like Germany and the UK. ive shot greek ammo on greek soil jobux have you? its crap!!!

edited to say "was" because i obviously know they dont use the drachma anymore
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#13]
The drachma no longer exists,Greece uses the Euro now. The "problems" w/ Turkey were never resolved.  In fact, ITS Turkey that STILL can't get into the EU b/c of the Cyprus problem, its human rights issues, & problems w/ Greece.  

As for shooting crap ammo, I have shot plenty of crap American ammo on American soil.  Seems our stable economy & powerful industrial base is just as capable of making crap ammo as any other country...
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I have held in my hands an actual Bushmaster ar-15 that was destroyed by S&B ammo.  It was less than 100 rounds old.  It was later sent to Bushmaster for testing as it was nearly new.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#15]
well jobux, show me some US military ammo thats crap? you cannot compare apples to oranges. comparing olympic to american eagle or UMC just isnt a direct comparison. it should be compared to Lake City or IMI to which it is a pale comparison. On the range at Litohoro Greece we were shooting greek SS109 and couldnt hit our ass with both hands. on our chow break everyone grabbed a good old Lake City SAW pack, divided them up and started de-linking by hand. wouldnt ya know it during the afternoon relays everyone was back in the black.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, looking at that other thread, it seems it's hit or miss (no pun intended) w/ the stuff.  I haven't had any problems, FTF's w/ my batch yet.  Dvl, what year were you over there shooting?  Maybe it's a batch or year issue thing?  So far I've gotten decent groups...
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top