Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 12:37:48 PM EDT
Here is the situation. I have a cousin who owns/operates a guide service in Alaska (www.italio.com) He is looking for a good bear gun. Here is what he has right now:

- Remington 870 12 guage
- Springfield '03 30-06
- SKS
- Taurus .44 Mag 4" revolver
- 10/22

So this is what he told me. He wants something that is a decent step up from 30-06 which he uses to hunt moose for use as a bear defense. Here are the specifics.

- Somewhat compact (easy to carry/transport) while riding a four wheeler
- Primarily for Bear-Defense but possible double duty for hunting.
- Budget minded.
- Common caliber that is available in the backcountry of Alaska or can be ordered in quanitity ans stored for at least a couple years in relatively wet conditions.

I don't know a lot about balistics other than .223 and .308 but here is what I was thinking.

Marlin Guide Gun with the shorter barrel in 45-70. Thoughts? Opinions?

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Take off the front sight so it'll hurt less when the bear shoves it up his a$$.

Seriously, the Stainless Guide Gun in 45-70 would be my choice.  Fast handling, accurate, hard hitting, and rock solid reliability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top