Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 6:29:35 PM EDT
I have a doctor friend with an E.A. Co. "J-15". I am guessing that E.A. is Eagle Arms?!? He wants to find out if his serial no. is a pre ban or a post ban. It has a pre ban upper with a fluted barrel, Knight's rail system and Harris bipod on it (along with all the "EVIL" post ban No Nos). Can anyone help us out with serial no. info??? His ser. no. is Ea 156XX .
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
lowammo,

I was on a similar quest last year with my Eagle. I was directed to www.armalite.com where there is a look-up list. If the serial number  is not listed on the website or you need documented proof (as I did) give them a call at (309) 944-6939. They won't be able to give you the history of the unit but will say if it's pre or post. You can ask for a hardcopy proof ($25.00) if required.
There may be other ways of finding out, I had success with this one.

Good Hunting!

Fulminatus sends ...

Happiness is "Belt-Fed" or "Crew Serviced"
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It is an essential arms and all are Pre-Ban.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
lowammo,

I was on a similar quest last year with my Eagle. I was directed to www.armalite.com where there is a look-up list. If the serial number  is not listed on the website or you need documented proof (as I did) give them a call at (309) 944-6939. They won't be able to give you the history of the unit but will say if it's pre or post. You can ask for a hardcopy proof ($25.00) if required.
There may be other ways of finding out, I had success with this one.

Good Hunting!

Fulminatus sends ...

Happiness is "Belt-Fed" or "Crew Serviced"

As had already been pointed out, calling ArmaLite on this would be pointless, as this is an Essential Arms, not an Eagle Arms.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all for the quick response!!! Does anyone know how to track the receiver's date of manufacture by the serial number? As in, being in the 15000 range, was this an early production no. or a very late number? If anyone can give us a ser. no. and date scale that might give us more of an idea as to when it might have been assembled. Thanks again to everyone!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
i have a 4 digit s/n EA & it was made around 1984 according to all the info i have dug up.......

does that help ? being in the 15000 range makes it a late mfg. (somewhere around 1991)

edited to repair senior moment !!

my EA was made around 1987-88, they were made from 1986 thru 1993 wyth the exception of 1990 NONE were made that year........

if all the letters align on the S/N side of the receiver, they were made by Ruger, if slightly missaligned, they were made in Texas by a casting firm, whose name i have not yet found out.........
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The best lookup resource I've seen is on the old AR15.COM site...

old.ar15.com

Look in the LEGAL section!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
O.K.- I've got it now!!! Thanks to everyone for the assistance! Isn't the internet grand? :>)
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Just one more point, it had to be complete or a complete kit before the ban. There are some rumors, including a letter which I saw a reprint of, that BATF considers once the rifle is parted out it is no longer preban. I.E. You can't buy a "Pre-ban Lower" only.

Could be problems for a lot of "pre-ban" rifles.

Personally I think BATF would have a hard time explaining their "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun" but not "Once pre-ban always pre-ban" policys in court.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I think BATF would have a hard time explaining their "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun" but not "Once pre-ban always pre-ban" policys in court.

AMEN, BROTHER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top