Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2002 4:51:42 PM EDT
I'm curious about whether I should load my long-term storage ammo onto stripper clips.

When I say long term, I mean possibly years, in a sealed environment with dessicant.

I know about the rusting associated with stripper clips due to galvanic action.  Will this rusting in any way affect the ammo?  Will the ammo become stuck to the clips?

Will a little CLP help the problem?

Ideas?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
just coat the stripper clips with my little friend in the blue can ,wd-40
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
genius, wd-40 is a penetrating oil that will render you primers inert if it gets in them.

yes, mil spec ammo has a primer sealant but would you want to take the chance?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I loaded up about 80% of my stripper clips and kept the remainder for spares. They are unsealed, unlubed, no dessicant and they still look as good as the day I got them. Not a spec of corrosion. Been like that seven years now and counting. Never mix lube and ammo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
How long is long-term storage? You planning on going cryo or something and waking up in two, three hundred years?

I have some XM193 on stripper clips in bandoliers since the early 1970s. The cartridge brass is mottled green in spots. The ammo still works OK. This is military stuff, "designed by geniuses to be run by idiots" (Thank you, Herman Wouk, "The Caine Mutiny") that has to outlast a nuclear attack and SE Asian jungles. Unless your ammo and barrel are dripping wet with oil or are plugged, chances are it will likely work fine until the next century at least. I shot some WW1 .303 the other week, worked OK, too.

As a guy I met once, an ex-USMC gunnery sgt. w/more obscene (yet funny) tattoos on his arms than you could shake a stick at, who rolled his eyes when I asked him about AR15s and any sort of break-in period with milspec ammo and barrels, said:

"Just shoot the f*cker....."
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know about the rusting associated with stripper clips due to galvanic action.  Will this rusting in any way affect the ammo?  Will the ammo become stuck to the clips?

Anyone wanna elaborate on the rusting and galvanic action that brou is talking about?  I have 1680 rounds of Q3131A on strippers in bandos, packed in .50 cal cans with dessicant. (SHTF stash) I thought I had protected them enough!  Did I have to do something to the stripper clips before loading the ammo on them?  I just took them straight out of the box that I got from Wu's and loaded the rounds on it.  Tell me I didn't screw up?  I'd hate to have to load all that again.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a Munitions Inspector in the USAF for over 8 years.  Most 5.56 ammo was stored in stripper clips in an ammo can.  Shelf life according to our tech manuals was indefinite.

Don't use any lubes.  If you feel you need to use dessicant then go for it.  But it's not needed if your ammo cans are airtight.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought 10k of 8mm Mauser last year. It's on brass and nickel plated steel strippers. I'm about 1k into the oldest headstamp. Date is 1938. The ammo looks like it's new...
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]
With proper storage (air/water tight seal and dessicant) you should have a rust problem.  The Brit ammo is on strippers and dated from the 80's.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
dude if you don't drench the stripper clip your ammo should be fine. just a light coat on it. i had about 500 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips for about 3 years with a light coat of the wd-40 and just took them out about a month ago and shot all of it in my ak. no problem with the strippers and no problem with the ammo, just me,just luck, i have no idea.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone wanna elaborate on the rusting and galvanic action that brou is talking about?  

I'll tell you what little I know about this subject.  It's been a long time since chemistry, and I'm certainly no metallurgist.

When two dissimilar metals come into contact, in the presence of moisture, the more active (less noble) metal tends to give off electrons to the less active (or more noble) metal.  This results in corrosion of the more active metal (in this case, the steel).

So, I was worried about the steel edges of the stripper clips becoming rusted and either destroying themselves, or making the rounds stick.

But, it doesn't really matter.  Since the container will be airtight, and there will be dessicant, there should be no moisture present anyway.

Hope this helps you out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I have about 1200 rounds of the Norinco 7.62x39mm Ammo stored on stripper clips(not oiled) since 1992 for worse case senario,ten years later its still good as new I did put some dessicant in the cans with the ammo,but im sure it has become ineffective after 10 years.I think I will shoot all that ammo up and replenish it with something fresh,maybe thats what I'll do every decade.

Am I the only one here that likes the smell of opening a .30 or .50 cal ammo can?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd avoid putting any type of oil on your stripper clips.  If they on the Stripper clip then they will be on the ammo, which will inturn go into the mag.  Magazine+oil+dirt=malfunction
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#13]
My buddy and I fired 1,000 rounds of WWII-era 8mm Mauser. We had 5 duds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dude if you don't drench the stripper clip your ammo should be fine. just a light coat on it. i had about 500 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips for about 3 years with a light coat of the wd-40 and just took them out about a month ago and shot all of it in my ak. no problem with the strippers and no problem with the ammo, just me,just luck, i have no idea.

I do..it was just luck.  DON'T PUT WD-40 on a weapon or on/near ammo that you're planning on betting your life on.  WD-40 KILLS PRIMERS!

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw some plastic bags that had some chemical context to stop the reaction of diff. metals against each other forever. Expermental use for the military someday.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I probably would not fear the galvanic corrosion issue. Stripper clips have the brass lining and the steel portion is parkerized. This should provide a barrier. Additionally, the ammo is stored in the can and is motionless. There is no movement to create static electricity and hence current flow between the two metals. Air tight can + clean (and DRY)ammo + dessicant + cool/dry storage area = perfect ammo down the road.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I saw some plastic bags that had some chemical context to stop the reaction of diff. metals against each other forever. Expermental use for the military someday.

shomer -tec has those , they are called "static intercept technolgy" bags, i've also seen a bianchi product called "blue bags" probably the same thing. the concept seems sound enough.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got some GI 5.56 in ammo cans on stripper clips in bandoleers that is headstamped LC 67, and the dates on the bandleers indicate that it was repacked in NOV - 74. No corrosion, no discoloration, fires every time
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I have amost 1600 rds of norinco yellow box with 9 rnds per clip I keep them in the crate in my bedroom You all can imagine how long I have had them. They are all fine and I dont do anthing to preserve them.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top