Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2002 6:28:14 PM EDT
I have a pre ban mini-14 that was a complete rifle before 1994. The rifle came from the factory as a non Assault Weapon but I had put a folding stock on the weapon before 1994, when it was still legal to do so.

My question is since the weapon was a complete rifle before 1994 and was in an AW configuration before 94, is it illegal to have evil features on the weapon i.e., flash suppressor and a folding stock after 1994?
The weapon came from the factory as a non AW, pre 94, does it always remain a non AW or since it was a complete rifle in a AW configuration before 1994, does it remain a pre ban and allowed to have aftermarket evil goodies?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I _think_ (but I have been wrong before) that as long as you can prove that the "evil" features were applied to the rifle before the krime bill went into effect, you're fine.  And since the "evil" features were there before the 94 bill, you should be able to add more.  Again, I make no guarantees to this information.  I'm not a lawyer, and I don't pretend to understand what the BATF is thinking on any given day.  I _do_ know that the burden of proof proving the pre-ban status of the rifle lies squarely on you.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
A pre-ban is a pre-ban, whether it's an AR or (gulp) a Mini 14.  Just a lay opinion, but based on my understanding of the law, it's a preban and you can trick it out anyway you want.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
if it was made before the 94 ban, then you can have all the toys on it you want. at least thats how i understand it.
by the way, when's the next round of bans going to be, AND what's it going to be? any guesses? anyone? bueller? bueller? bueller?
colt.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
if it was made before the 94 ban, then you can have all the toys on it you want. at least thats how i understand it.

not quite. it had to be an AW before the ban. so most minis pry arnt acually preban. ARs are, cause they came starndard with enogh evils.
so only a mini with a flash supressor or folding stock is acually preban. our friend DOCPIG is safe.

on a personal note. i say if the numbers agree, i would go for evils. i doubt you would ever be made to prove its preban after all the numbers agreed with preban status.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I appreciate adult answers and not some of the silly shit I have seen on this website lately.

Again thank you all who have responded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top