Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2002 4:33:45 AM EDT
Was wondering if there is a source of US 75mm shell's and projectiles anywhere? Anyone know if smokeless works in cannon shells or is it Cordite? Anyone know the reloading specifics of 75mm?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Well Canada has NO caliber limit, in theory I could build as big a cannon as I want, and I have a source of 75mm cannon barrels. I am just wondering where I could get some non-explosive dummy ammo or anything I can reload. I would think if anyone with some information from either the military or some website could fill me in on what I need.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While I am not entirely sure, I believe that any such items in the US are subject to export controls.  Even some "dummies" can be re-milled.

From a legal standpoint there are as many restrictions on deactivated munitions as there are on any other inert object.

I have bought inert grenades and ammo from the USA. There has never been a problem. The worst I have had to endure is ebay saying that the object must be filled with a inert solid substance, but that is there own personal rule, not law.

Quoted:
Sorry, but I can't and won't help you.

Well thanks anyways, I needed someone to scare the entire board because you are unsure what the laws are and are not. Your ignorance has helped to impede the simple harmless knowledge I seek by giving the impression I am somehow seeking to brake the law.

The BATF need not pass any laws, in your mind they already exist.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Was wondering if there is a source of US 75mm shell's and projectiles anywhere? Anyone know if smokeless works in cannon shells or is it Cordite? Anyone know the reloading specifics of 75mm?

Art Alphin has load data for the 105x608 cannon used on the M-60A1 tank in his book "Any Shot You Want".  Propellants listed are a variety of RAD charges with appropriate projectiles (APDS, HEAT, etc.).  May be a starting point if you care to pursue.

BTW there is a loosely organized association of crew-served weapons owners that holds yearly shoots in the desert near Las Vegas.  Don't remember the name, but it's mentioned in "Unintended Consequences".
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks alot Arock!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Well raf I can understand your hesitation, its better to say nothing then take a chance at jail time.

As for the whole cannon issue, it looks like its one of those things no one in this whole country has even tried to explore! I have been in contact with a importer here of artilery pieces and he has told me its fully legal. Thing is cannons and such cannot be shipped "active", they must be demilled first. This seriously limits what I can and cannot do. Then there will be the huge price tag per shot. I am just planning for a possible future project.

You being in the US mil wouldnt know of any load data from the us 75mm shell? I might avoid the 75mm completely and go for something else. Not to sure yet...
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BTW, wasn't Gerald Bull, one of the world's foremost artillery designers prior to his assassination, a Canadian?    

Yup, he was, but then Israel decided to have him killed for helping in the development of Iraqi missiles.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually, can't a canon be made in the US on a Form 1 ?

I saw Demilled 75mm Canons for sale somewhere or the other recently. but, off the top of my head I cannot recall who the seller was.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, a 105mm howitzer is just a destructive device.  You should be able to manufacture it on a form 1(if legal in your state and signed off).  Only downside is each round would also be a DD and require a $200 stamp.  So it'd be really expensive to use.  Most CLEO's would probably not sign off on DD's, but if you state is like maryland and NFA signoff is shall issue by the state police(only thing my stupid state does right) it shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Only downside is each round would also be a DD and require a $200 stamp.  

Actually, the ammo for a DD is only a DD if it goes BANG.  Inert, non-exploding projectiles are not considered DD's.  They must have a specific amount of explosive contained in order to be considered a DD.

Same thing the 40MM guys go through, they use training rounds that do not explode, so no $200 per shot.

Infact, you could have a .50BMG round that would be considered a DD.  The Raffous rounds are just under the limit, IIRC.  But if loaded with a little more HE, and $200 a pop.

Edited to fix broken quote
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
75mm,now thats a DAMM big reloading press!!

Lets see Betty,is it 2 or 2 1/2 cups of gun powder?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmmm.  Let me see.   Large brass cases, great big primers, lots of powder and 75mm projectiles.  BTW, What state did you say you were shooting this in?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
A WWII reenactment unit out of the Chicago area has a 75mm PAK 40.  You might try to contact them as to reloading data.  I know their gun is German and is 20X more powerfull than the U.S. gun you are talking about, but they might be able to help you.

If you cannot find them on the net, go to www.atthefront.com
select Other links, then pick out the unit called 2nd Panzer.  It's the chicago based one, the other 2nd panzer unit listed is based here in Akron, Ohio area and only uses 81mm mortars.

I know it is a stretch, but they might be able to help with the powder charge.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hmmmmm.  Let me see.   Large brass cases, great big primers, lots of powder and 75mm projectiles.  BTW, What state did you say you were shooting this in?

The real question is Partition or A-Frame.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems to me cannons use a different kind of gun powder then smokeless? And extra LARGE primers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top