Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 2:53:58 AM EDT
Why didn't they design the AR-10 to take an FAL mag?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#2]
My guess is their desire to stay "100% American-Made", but to me in doing so they shot themselves in the foot.  Doesn't an AR10 cost roughly that of a new DSA (not the STG-58)?  Why take an already expensive mag who's supply is dwindling (M1A) and charge you AGAIN to convert it??
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea! At least the M14 mag should work with no mods. Kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty much the only reason so far that I haven't purchased an AR-10. Every so often I pick up a few more brand new steel Austrian FAL mags for $10 each...then I look at 20 round mags for the absolutely beautiful and droolworthy AR-10 and notice that they go for $60-80. Stops me cold...
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe Armalite tried to get approval from the ATF to convert FAL mags but couldn't. Also didn't M14 mags used to be like $5?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe Armalite tried to get approval from the ATF to convert FAL mags but couldn't. Also didn't M14 mags used to be like $5?

M14 mags haven't seem $5 in a LONG time!  I wonder how ASA got approval.  And I thought as long as the mag continued to work in the original gun there was no issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#7]
The ASA .308 rifle takes unmodified FAL mags.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
That always makes me laugh a bit, about Armalite reasoning etc. I sold my AR-10A2 because it was so unreliable. I even had the Armalite factory mag bodies, never could get it reliable enough to shoot in an IPSC match. And boy those were expensive jam-o-matic's. My FAL has never jamed that I can remember, my M1A works like a champ with it's M14 mags, but the AR10 was another story.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you have the factory check it?  I've got 3 AR-10s and all work perfectly with all my mags.  

The FAL mag issue has been brought up many times and Troy's right.  Check the DPMS industry site.  They had the same problem trying to make FAL mags work in that design and ended up making a new 10 round mag.

Of course, if you think ASA made it work you could always try them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That always makes me laugh a bit, about Armalite reasoning etc. I sold my AR-10A2 because it was so unreliable. I even had the Armalite factory mag bodies, never could get it reliable enough to shoot in an IPSC match.
Bill

You may have gotten a lemon.  I own an AR10, never have a problem with multiple uppers.  Many of my shooting buddies have AR10s, and likewise have no problems at all... even with crappy ammo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Yea, I'd have to say it was a lemon, it did go back to the factory, they replaced the bolt in their bolt recall, polished out the chamber because of extraction problems, looked at the mags and I had them install their factory match trigger. I have other firends with AR10's, one seems to work "ok" now that it has been back to the factory 3 times, the other guy shot his at the last IPSC rifle match, he could have shot in the "manual rifle" catagory, it jamed almost every shot, no joke. I don't know what mag he was using, but when you start using cut-up mags from another rifle design........well almost all jams are traced back to the mag.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
........ but when you start using cut-up mags from another rifle design........well almost all jams are traced back to the mag.

Bill

Might also take a look at the bullet in use.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
"Something sounds goofy about this. Bill, please send the serial numbers of the rifles in question to us at [email protected].
We'll do a record check of the rifles and advise what has happened so far. These issues don't ring a bell."

What exactly sounds "goofy" to you.
I remember the Bolt Recall very well, on September 24, 1999 I sent my Armalite AR10A2 rifle, serial number US 54968 to Gary Barr at Armalite Service Department. In the letter I am holding in my hand, I noted that #1, my bolt was marked with the "C" and had to be replaced as per Armalite's instructions, #2, Check out your Tech Bulletin #1 regarding the falures to extract, I enclosed a bunch of factory loaded cases with the rim almost ripped off, and #3, I sent in 3  Armalite Conversion Mags I purchased, noting that mag #1 jams a lot, mag #2 jams "only sometimes" and mag #3 will not hold the bolt back at all. The UPS tracking number was IZ 588 83X 03 1003 136 6.

As to the other guys, I'll try to poke around at the next IPSC rifle match and see if I can get their seral numbers for you, not.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top