Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2002 9:24:12 PM EDT
Hello again,

As part of my research into choosing an AR I want to be able to compare prices.

Looking at bushmaster.com web site I noticed that the for most of the upper receivers the price of the post ban is EQUAL to the pre ban?

For example:

Dissipator post ban:
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/pura2b16d.asp

$535

Dissipator pre ban:
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/pre-ban/bura2b16d.asp

also $535

I thought pre ban was more expensive than post ban?

Also, are these list prices that are going to be more expensive then what I should expect to pay, or are they reasonable. (personally they seem a bit steep)

Thanks,
CranialCrusader

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
THe only part that costs more on a pre-ban is the lower reciever. Everything else costs pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The expensive part of a preban is the lower reciever - it has the serial number on it.  The preban uppers were not made before the ban, they are just replacement parts.

For prices you just have to shop around.  Check out the equipment exchange here, gunbroker.com, even eBay.

Good luck and welcome to AR15.com
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If I got a post-ban lower and a pre-ban upper could I then legally put on one of those nifty "Phantom Flash Suppressor" things.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/yhm-29.asp

or would I need a preban lower to do that.

If I do need a preban lower can I still at least use that cheap flash suppressor?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/9349051.asp

(I'm sorry about all the newbie questions) I'm gonna use the search function now =)

If I remember correctly, I'm allowed 3 "evil features" on a postban.

Detachable mag
pistol grip
flash supressor?

Thanks again,
CranialCrusader
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm... The search didn't turn up anything.

So if someone could kindly explain to me a little into I would appreciate it.

CranialCrusader
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate to break it to you, but you only get ONE feature besides the detachable magazine. And on a post ban that evil feature is the pistol grip.  You could remove the pistol grip and then you could have a flash hider on their but thats the only way to do it.  Thats why a preban is about twice as much as a postban, since you can have as many evil features as you want on them. Hope this helps....
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#6]
On a post ban semi-auto rifle able to take magazines over 30 rounds you are allowed one feature.  

Flash hider phantom, "cheap", doesn't matter
pistol grip
collapsible stock
threaded barrel
bayonet lug

The AR15 already has a pistol grip so all other features are banned.  To use one of the preban uppers you are looking at you HAVE to buy a preban lower.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Crusader,

To answer some of your questions:

1) The receiver is THE piece for determination of whether or not the weapon was "pre-ban."  If you want to build something wild and exotic (meaning that you'll be putting some "evil" features such as a collapsible stock, flash suppressor, etc), you'll have to have a receiver that was part of a complete rifle that was built and sold prior to the ban going into effect.

2) I'm in the process of building an M4 look-a-like.  I started with a pre ban lower (they cost anywhere from $750 to slightly over $1000), and have added a M4A3 flattop upper, 6-position stock, and a Phantom Flash Suppressor to the 14.5" barrel.  All products were ordered from Bushmaster. Expect a 3-4 week turnaround on uppers. Their website is helpful.

3) Again, expect to pay for a preban lower.  A postban lower with a preban upper is worth $10,000 (fine), and 10 years in jail.

My $.02
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Crusader,

2) I'm in the process of building an M4 look-a-like.  I started with a pre ban lower (they cost anywhere from $750 to slightly over $1000), and have added a M4A3 flattop upper, 6-position stock, and a Phantom Flash Suppressor to the 14.5" barrel.  All products were ordered from Bushmaster. Expect a 3-4 week turnaround on uppers. Their website is helpful.

do you always admit to committing felonies? a 14.5 inch barrel is only allowed on an SBR or a registered machine gun.

you better check yourself before you wreck yourself!

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Crusader,

do you always admit to committing felonies? a 14.5 inch barrel is only allowed on an SBR or a registered machine gun.

you better check yourself before you wreck yourself!

If the flash hider is permanently attached he is legal.  The phantom is long enough to meet the 16" requirement.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Ah...

It's starting to make sense now!

I want to make sure anything I buy/build is legal.

It looks like I'll just be suck with an ordinary muzzle (as I don't want to put a brake on it). Which is fine by me

Thanks everyone,
CranialCrusader
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top