Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 9:02:01 PM EDT
Wondering if anyone has any opinion about which of these two is the better brake, and why?

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
My neighbor has a Y-comp on his 14.5 bushmaster and I don't care for it.  You can feel the muzzle blast in your head when you shoot it and if your standing next too it, well....  

I use a JP Enterprises Comp on my competition AR. It may be a bit large but you'll swear your shooting a .22 with it. There is no blast on the shooter but it is a bit uncomfortable for bystanders.  One match we shot out to 300 yards and the crosshairs never moved off the IPSC poppers at that range.

www.JPEnterprises.com
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that a .223 needs a comp.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My bushy came with no comp & out of curiosity I slipped on (& pinned  w/ set screws) a post ban config. AK style. It reduces the negligble muzzle rise enough for quick follow ups when looking thru a 4X scope.

There is the aforementioned side blast of escaping gasses. I don't worry about it anymore as I have removed it due to the extra 1.5".
I'd like to try a Y-comp.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My 16" Bushy came with a Y-Comp looking brake that was secured with four setscrews.  It looked cool but the 2nd time it flew off downrange, leaving silver skid marks where the setscrews scraped the park off the muzzle, I didn't bother retrieving it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not that a .223 needs a comp.

It may not need a comp, but I saw a HUGE difference shooting with and without a comp in regards to muzzle rise.  I have both an AK shorty (14.5 with AK74 styled brake) and a full 16 inch M4 styled barrel (no brake).  Dramatic difference with the feel of both carbines.  I was also watching an M4 with a Smith compensator on it.  Absolutely no muzzle rise at all.  Unloading a magazine, it was definitely easier staying on target with my carbine with the brake then it was without.  Can I do it?  Yes, but the brake makes it almost effortless.

The AK brake works great.  The Mini Y looks like it's fashioned after the Smith Compensator.  Yes it's loud to the neighbors and you can actually feel the brakes working if you are in the point next to someone with a brake.

Which one is better?  I'd go with the AK styled brake, mainly because it's cheaper, but works and isn't as loud/abnoxious as the Mini Y.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys...  keep it coming..   I'm mostly going to use it for Practical-Rifle matches, where putting "double taps" or long fast strings of rounds into steel or paper will get me a better score.  It will be on a pre-ban treaded (Colt Match H-bar) barrel, so i wont worry about it coming off to much....
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Threaded barrel?  Go with the Smith Comp.  That thing worked beautifully.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
They are all about the same. Some are a little louder, some work a hair better. But if you are double tapping, you need to have one. I have an AK brake and can pull off 1/2 second (between shots) double taps that are on target. Try that without a brake, I don't think so. For some reason the Ycomp brake just annoys me to look at (some deep-seated personal issues I guess) It looks like someone made it in the garage. The Smith,  on the other hand, is a work of art. And the AK brake looks cool. Get what you like, you won't be dissapointed. Just remember they are LOUD!
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The AK Brake in my opinion is ugly but is definetly the best brake I've ever used on an AR. Nothing else reduces muzzle flip as well as the AK.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The AK Brake in my opinion is ugly but is definetly the best brake I've ever used on an AR. Nothing else reduces muzzle flip as well as the AK.

I actually thought the Smith brake worked better than my AK brake.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The AK brake was designed for use on the AK74 to help reduse muzzle climb under full auto conditions. The 74 uses a pretty similar round as the 5.56 so you would expect that the break would work just as well on the AR system. I have used my AK shorty upper on two different M16's and you wouldn't believe the amount of control it offers. I do think the AK break looks better as well. In the end though, you will have to go with whatever you like yourself.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both the Bushmaster Shorty AK and the M4gery with the mini-Y comp.  The Mini-Y is the more effective muzzle-brake (recoil is rearward and DOWN), but it is also LOUD AS HE!!.  I also shoot the Practical/Tactical rifle matches, and the brake is a necessity; the increase in speed/score is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Wave , that break looks a little like the AK break who makes it ?

I didnt see it on your AR before ?

By the way are you all set for BW ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hey Wave , that break looks a little like the AK break who makes it ?

I didnt see it on your AR before ?

By the way are you all set for BW ?

Geeze, now yer messing wit me.  I thought that was you.  The Brake is from Michi-guns, or something like that.  I think Ray had it on the last time he was shooting.  He called me earlier.  He's going out first, then meeting me at my house at 0245.  I think Hank's picking us up at 0300.  As of right now, I'm all packed and good to go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I BOUGHT THE BUSHY M-4 W/ THE Y -COMP CUZ I THOUGHT IT LOOKED COOL.TO SAY IT IS LOUD IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!DO NOT SHOOT WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION..I MEAN IT!!!THE FREAKING SHOCKWAVE ALONE IS A CHEST THUMPER..WHAT WAS I THINKING..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top