Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 1:11:34 PM EDT
I keep changing the configuration of mine (daily), I like all three ways.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Open sights for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Scoped

GIB
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a scope mounted on my Norinco M1A, but am still able to use the iron sights.
On my Springfield Scout, I currently have it scoped, but am unable to use iron sights. I need to change that soon, so I can use both.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a scope mounted on my Norinco M1A, but am still able to use the iron sights.
On my Springfield Scout, I currently have it scoped, but am unable to use iron sights. I need to change that soon, so I can use both.

How do you like the Norinco, I hear alot of crap about them and alot of good stuff too,

I have been wanting to get one or a polytech to keep with open sights only

I would like an owners comment, Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the open sights.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Right now it's scoped with a bipod.  When I get a more suitable AR-10 or bolt-action to replace it I will return it to rack-grade and use it as my knock-about rifle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't get a good cheeck weld with a scope. The scope sits too high on the mount, and my head ends up blowing around in the wind.

Iron sights. Soon to be match iron sights.

No bipod.

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Bare bones stock with a loaded magazine or 7.

I bought one of those folders for it but don't use it.  I should get rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you like the Norinco, I hear alot of crap about them and alot of good stuff too,

I have been wanting to get one or a polytech to keep with open sights only

I would like an owners comment, Thanks

I love mine. I hear some have problems, but I have had mine for 10 years and none of the problems usually associated with the maker. I heard some people prefer to build their own M1A's on the Norinco instead of the Springfield receivers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Send your Norinco to Smith Enterprises in Tempi AZ.  He will make a fine receiver to start with.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine was scoped with a bipod. The iron sights are just too nice to ignore so I sold the scope and the mount. ( by the way, the Springfield 3rd gen. scope mount is a POS). The bipod is on another rifle. Shooting with iron sights seems to be the way to go with this rifle IMO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]
That scope just sits too high for me.  Even adding cheekpieces doesn't cut it.

I fit a set of match sites on mine, and my groups shrank.  I was looking forward to using it the next highpower season until I drug my old SP-1 out of the closet.

The SP-1 fit me like a glove, where I was constantly fighting the M1A.  I built up a service rifle legal AR, started shooting it, and never looked back.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]
My M1A is dressed with a mint E2 stock, E2 bipod, E2 muzzle brake, which plays hell with the finish on the flash suppressor, Freds fake selector switch. Have shot 1.5" groups at 100 yards from the bench with irons and Federal American Eagle 150grn. FMJ. Had it scoped but the 3rd gen. mount was junk! Looking at maybe a scout mount or an ARMS mount.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The M1A is a LOUSY platform for scoping.  The military has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on development to get them field-worthy with a scope.  You and I only need to spend several hundred dollars (beyond the scope and mount) to have a workable, though far from ideal, scoped solution.

The M1A is an EXCELLENT platform for iron-sighted shooting, though.  I recommend that you use it as such.

-Troy

Gotta agree with Troy (not that I would argue with his gun knowledge)  I bought my M1A with an ART II scope on it.  I shoot it far better with plain iron sights than with the scope out to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The M1A is a LOUSY platform for scoping.  The military has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on development to get them field-worthy with a scope.  You and I only need to spend several hundred dollars (beyond the scope and mount) to have a workable, though far from ideal, scoped solution.

The M1A is an EXCELLENT platform for iron-sighted shooting, though.  I recommend that you use it as such.

-Troy

Yeah troy your right (as always).  One of my buddies has an M1a and he has to tighten the scoped mount every so often.  It will shoot dead on until after a mag or two.  Got a nice scope on it too.  Springfield Armory 4x14x56 with bullit drop compensator.  I will also add that Springfield Armory has excellent customer service.  Back last summer my buddy and i went up to knob creek to do some shooting.  I realized that the lens was loose and the scope had lost all of the gas and was shooting poorly.  He called them up and they fixed it for free and installed new 3rd generation optics.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I know it spoils the lines, but, I'm too blind to not use the glass.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]
IRON!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top