Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2002 12:32:18 PM EDT

Edit: Thanks to your great advice, I have reversed the scopemount.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
How's it shoot?

I don't know the real definition of "tack driver" but if shoots .5 MOA or better I'd say it was that.

JMHO. That's the standard that I shoot for.

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks don't mean squat. How does it shoot ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe you should rephrase the statement as "Am I a tack driver?"

I agree just cause it looks good doesn't mean jack.  

What makes an accurate weapon is a competent shooter.

JMHO.

Max
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My 20" Vmatch shoots 1-1.5" 100 yard groups with Spanish SS109. If you reload you should get .75 groups. A match trigger may shave .25 off of that. BTW, your scope mount is on backwards. The offset ring should be in the front.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
So, can you hit a tack with it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The scope is new along with the RRA mount.  I will sight it in this weekend, if the snow will go away a little.  We shall see if I can hit a tack or not!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I should be a tack driver.  I had a very similar setup and averaged 1/2"MOA 5 shoot groups....with handloads of course.  Handloading makes a huge differance.  IMHO I think your scope is mounted to high.  I had mine just barely resting on the top of the front handguards.

Sgtar15

PS....Seriously, take un handloading
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a really good mount and I think the only reason the scope looks so high is that the scope seems to have a smaller objective lens then alot of others out there. I have a RRA mount and the cheek weld is perfect with it. Plus the free floater gives it that look too.

Hey- you already flip the mount around so it's correct now. Looks much better!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I should be a tack driver.  I had a very similar setup and averaged 1/2"MOA 5 shoot groups....with handloads of course.  Handloading makes a huge differance.  IMHO I think your scope is mounted to high.  I had mine just barely resting on the top of the front handguards.

Sgtar15

PS....Seriously, take un handloading

sgtar15,

That's as low as the scope will go with the RRA mount.  The height seems just fine when sighting through the scope, but I will see this weekend.  Handloading is just another hobby I need to take up, I guess!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a really good mount and I think the only reason the scope looks so high is that the scope seems to have a smaller objective lens then alot of others out there. I have a RRA mount and the cheek weld is perfect with it. Plus the free floater gives it that look too.

Hey- you already flip the mount around so it's correct now. Looks much better!

I swapped it around right after FrankSquid's post.  I am concerned about the knobs being above the ejection port though....
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
When I sight this thing in, what distance should I start at?  I want it to be sighted in at 100 yards, but don't want to waste my time at that distance if I'm not even going to be on the paper.   I was thinking start at 25 yards, get it a little low and then move out to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was thinking start at 25 yards, get it a little low and then move out to 100 yards.

The easiest way to start at 25 yds. is to separate the upper from the lower, and remove the charging handle and bolt carrier.  Now set the upper on a rest and sight thru the bore at 25 yds. at a target.  Center the target in the bore and then check the crosshairs.  Adjust the crosshairs so they are looking at the same spot you see thru the bore.  The rifle will now shoot fairly close to where the crosshairs are looking at 25 yds.  Now you can start sighting at 100 yards and be close to what you see thru the scope.

It's a lot less complicated than the explanation.  I just setup my scope sitting in my family room and sighting on my neighbor's shed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]
DJK, now you got it! It is a VERY common mistake to make. We are all here to share our experience and knowlage. Take a look at Wilson Combats mount. They have it BACKWARDS too! i sent them an email telling them to fix it!

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, Heres the update on my trip to the range today.

Conditions:

Temp: 22 degree F
Wind: NE 10-15 mph
(Colder than crap!)

I sighted the scope in at 25 yards, then at 50 and then out to 100 yards.  I was shooting XM193 and then ran out.  My last string of 5 was with South African surplus I got from Sportsmans guide.  The last group was my best, but was freezing my a$$ off.  I shot a 7/8" group with the SA, which under the conditions I think was pretty good.  What do you think?

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The group sounds good for just using some surplus ammo. Pick up a box of Match ammo and give it a try sometime. Also, do you have a stock trigger or a match trigger, that will also make a difference.

The trigger is stock.  I have some 68gr Black hills remanufactured, but didn't want to waste it when I was sighting in.

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is a photo of the group.  I should have stopped after the first 3 shots....

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]
OK equipment is a big factor,  but shouldn't u really be able to make a decent group with any reasonably accurate rifle.

I'm proudest of my .75 (outside) group with Winch. mod 70 300 mag in "target(maj j plaster)stock" w/ bipod.

This is a trick rifle.  BUT,  stock trigger factory winch. ammo,  and improvised setup (i.e. no real rest, range -  just the woods,  a pile of dirt, some boards, and a picnic table)

If someone tells me how to upload a photo to this post,  I will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top