Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 8:36:48 PM EDT
A fella I work with has an 1863 Springfield musket - handed down to him from his grandfather.

Apparently, through the story told by his grandfather, the barrel had been cut approx 2" from the breech and 2" from the muzzle. The removed section of barrel had been replaced with a black painted wooden dowel (in the diameter of the barrel.) My first thought was that there may have been some barrel damage, but as the story goes, the grandfather explained that in order to make the rifles 'lighter' for parade use, they cut the barrels.

At first my co-worker wanted to know where a replacement barrel could be found for the restoration project, but I advised him that if such a historical conversion was done near the turn of the 20th century it might be just as well to keep it just the way it is?

Anyone have any thoughts as to worth/history, or know a possible link to a Springfield site where this question would be better suited?

PS. He also has the 'original' bayonet for it, complete with scabbard. On the scabbard, the brass 'US' button has a '29' stampted on the rivet through the leather.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a friend who bought one back in 1948 for $12.00 if that helps. He still has it and still shoots it. It's in excellent condition BTW. He told me thousands of them were released by the Govt. for sale to the public back then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top