Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 4:28:20 AM EDT
I have not researched this any further, but I found this statement on the NRA page regarding the 94 assault weapons ban:

"The law is scheduled to expire in September 2004, but the anti-gun lobby has already demanded that it be made permanent and--proving its gun confiscation goals--that legal owners of these firearms never be allowed to sell them".

I have a feeling no one in this forum is willing to accept any more restrictions. What about the rest of the gun owners you know? Can you imagine not being able to buy or sell a rifle that is a preban?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Vote this November.  If we have the House and the Senate, they can't do a damn thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Beware of politicians they will sell you out at the drop of a hat.... Bluemax
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The pressure from the anti-gunners will be intense for renewing and/or expanding the law. I suggest that everyone get politically active right now, i.e. get involved in some political campaign for the Nov '02 elections.  This is equivalent of the foot soldier on the front lines, it is a nasty job, but somebody has got to do it. The law is not going to disappear because we kick it around among ourselves. I personally find that many gunners don't want to get politically involved, but are more than ready to "discuss" it with other pro-gunner.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If November goes the way that the poles are showing no way. Even if they don't, as long as we maintain control of one of the houses, then there is no way a new ban will pass. The old ban passed by a single vote in 94' with a supporting president. Bush is the X factor, I could see him going either way. With any luck though we will retake the senate this year and never let the issue get out of commitee. Even if it does the chances of it passing both houses again is slim to none.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Good god, not ANOTHER thread.

Its simple, Gun Control was popular with the public in 94. In the intervening time it has been shown not to work. Gun control is NOT popular now, California and New York do not compose the Nation- as was revealed in Bush's election. Many of the politicians who like the idea of gun control will not vote for it now because it is unpopular. Those who voted in 94 for it because they thought they couldnt hold their jobs unless they did- and have survived the backlash- definently are not going to vote for it.

Fundimentally the American people, except in certain small geographical areas, no longer beleve in the concept of gun control. There wont be a big media push like in 94 because the public doesnt want to see it- and because the appearance of FOX has schismed the media world. I cant say FOX is opposed to gun control but they will air anything that is contrary to what CNN and NBC air.

It all has to do with the popularity of the CONCEPT of gun control amongst the population.  And right now it isnt popular, unless that changes there will be no extension. Period.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Good god, not ANOTHER thread.

Its simple, Gun Control was popular with the public in 94. In the intervening time it has been shown not to work. Gun control is NOT popular now, California and New York do not compose the Nation- as was revealed in Bush's election. Many of the politicians who like the idea of gun control will not vote for it now because it is unpopular. Those who voted in 94 for it because they thought they couldnt hold their jobs unless they did- and have survived the backlash- definently are not going to vote for it.

Fundimentally the American people, except in certain small geographical areas, no longer beleve in the concept of gun control. There wont be a big media push like in 94 because the public doesnt want to see it- and because the appearance of FOX has schismed the media world. I cant say FOX is opposed to gun control but they will air anything that is contrary to what CNN and NBC air.

It all has to do with the popularity of the CONCEPT of gun control amongst the population.  And right now it isnt popular, unless that changes there will be no extension. Period.

True, since the Sept 11, 01 WTC/Pentagon attack our world has really changed. It woke up a lot of people, BUT I hope the gunners would get politically active because the old saying about "ASSUME," the old ass out of u and me. We should take nothing for granted, that is how we lose, and the news media and libs would love that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not believe new legislation will pass, we are more on our toes now. People honestly did not think the 94 ban would pass, which bit us  in the ass when we did. If we keep aware and keep on the politicians we will most likely win.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The NRA needs to buy some prime time tv ads that show the power of a gun in your trained hands.  and those same trained hands without accsess to a gun, a mess for the police.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My best advice is for you to assume that a new ban (possibly worse than the existing one) WILL pass, unless YOU PERSONALLY fight against it by rattling the cage of your elected officials.

If you think all's fine and it won't pass, then people aren't fighting to ensure that is how it goes.   So assume the worst and fight like hell to survive.

Complacency kills.  It kills your rights.  So don't be complacent, and you can be free.

But it's your job.  I'll be doing it, too.

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top