Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 10:51:11 AM EDT
What is the "cut out" in the M4 style barrels for?  It looks like to me it would be a weak place for possible damage.  Is there any advantage to this "cut out"?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
It's designed for the ring that holds the M203 grenade launcher in place.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
more questions:

Do the GI M4's have 16" or 14.5" barrels?  If both, which is most common?

It is my understanding that you can't put anything less than a 16" barrel on an AR no matter if it's a pre-ban or not.  Correct?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
more questions:

Do the GI M4's have 16" or 14.5" barrels?  If both, which is most common?

Army issues 20" M16A2s and 14.5" M4s.

It is my understanding that you can't put anything less than a 16" barrel on an AR no matter if it's a pre-ban or not.  Correct?

Kinda....  Here is the deal If you don't want to pay a $200 tax for a registered SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) you need to keep the total length of the barrel over 16".  If you pay the tax (and go through the BS) you can have any length you desire.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#4]
WTL-
Your great wisdom exceeds your lowely post count. You are correct that with out the proper permits (tax stamp) one may not have a 14.5" barrel. The military standard is the 14.5"s so alot of people just get the same look by permanently attaching a muzzle device (brake for post ban and a extended flash suppressor for pre ban's) on the under 16" barrels to bring it up to legal lenght. Some places make a 16" M4 barrel but it doesn't look right to me. Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I understand that you could own a 14.5 barrel without the Class III tax if a muzzle brake makes the over all length of the barrel larger than 16".  The brake must be permanently attatched though.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry, I did not see the above post...
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WTL-
Your great wisdom exceeds your lowely post count. You are correct that with out the proper permits (tax stamp) one may not have a 14.5" barrel. The military standard is the 14.5"s so alot of people just get the same look by permanently attaching a muzzle device (brake for post ban and a extended flash suppressor for pre ban's) on the under 16" barrels to bring it up to legal lenght. Some places make a 16" M4 barrel but it doesn't look right to me. Welcome aboard hr

Thanks :)  I try to be a well informed consumer.  I've done a lot of research to make sure I don't get screwed over by anyone.  I'm still learning though!

I'm looking for a 16" upper (to keep away from taxes and permits), what would you recommend as far as "looking right"?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, you have a few choices then.  A 16" barrel, with no muzzle device.  Or a 14.5" barrel with a muzzle brake (or flash suppressor for a preban).

I would go with either a Bushmaster 16" Shorty, or an M4 14.5" with the 1.5" muzzle brake.  Just beware that muzzle brakes are LOUD and tend to annoy people next to you at the range.

Personally, I like having the exta velocity that the 16" barrel allows.  It increases the effective range of the 5.56 by about 50-100 meters.  I can't stand muzzle breaks, either.

So, if it were totally up to me, I'd buy the Bushmaster Shorty 16".
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks like you have already been given excellent advice. I'll repeat what has already been said. The military uses the 14.5" barrel on the M4, so I would stick with that if I was wanting to be authentic. You must have a muzzle device permanently-attached for legality--muzzle brake for a post-ban rifle or a flash suppressor for a pre-ban rifle. As long as the fixed barrel length exceeds 16", it is legal for civilian ownership.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
For the"look" I found/bought a 16" M4 type upper, and sent it off to Kurt's Kustom Firearms.  He pressed a Fake Flash Suppressor over the end to give it the short barreled look, but keeping the full 16 inch barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top