Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2018 1:36:48 PM EDT
I have a question that I have not been able to find a good answer for. Can a finish such as Duracoat or Cerakote be applied to a part that has a NP3 finish?

The reason I'm asking is that I have two gen 3 POF rifles, a P415 and P308, that I'm considering refinishing one day. Both rifles have a NP3 finish applied to both the upper and lower receivers.

From what I understand about NP3, it is not easily removed. I saw a video once by POF where they showed and explained a bunch of the features of the rifles design.The head of Robar stated that the company has NEVER had a component or firearm returned for warranty due to wearing through the NP3 finish. They also offer a lifetime warranty on NP3 finishes, so that should tell you how durable it is.

To me, it looks like the NP3 would be extremely difficult to refinish. Due to the teflon in the NP3 finish, it is very slick to the touch, and I am not sure how well it could be roughed up to get a new finish to adhere to it.

Do any of you have any experience with this? Just looking for any thoughts or first hand experience.

Here is a pic of my P415 showing the NP3 finished upper and lower. I'm not dead set on refinishing either rifle, just kinda getting tired of the Oakland Raiders color scheme after 3 years If it's a pain in the ass, I'm more than happy to leave them as is.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
For Cerakote the NP3 coating will have to be sandblasted before application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top