Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2010 7:47:31 PM EDT
I know Marine Tex (etc) are preferred, but will Flexstone paint work as a texture for stocks?  I don't want something super aggressive, and the Flexstone paint I've used on other projects sets up nicely as far as a non-aggressive texture goes.

Once its fully cured after a week or so, will Duracoat chemically bond to it?  Can I use a primer to increase the Duracoat's duability?  What's a good primer to use with Dura?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I use NAPA rock guard. Apparently they make it in colors now. I have always used the white.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ne=25000&Ntt=stone%20guard&Nty=1&N=25055&Ntk=Keyword
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a wood stock the way you describe, it worked ok but I found that the finish is only as durable as the fleck paint. The issue is the Duracoat bonds to the fleck finish instead of directly to the stock, so the finish is only as strong as the base layer. If you need it to be tough look into a better product on the foundation. The rockguard stuff mentioned above seems like it would be tougher than fleck stone but I don't know about the texture.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't get that Napa link to work so I have no idea what Rock Guard is.  

A guy I know turned me on to "Bondex Skid-Tex" which is a spray-on texture designed for, among other things, step landings.  He painted up some gun parts and ran them through some matches and they held up very well, plus you can vary the coarseness of the texture by applying more or less of it.  That stuff seems like its exactly what I am looking for so I'll probably go and buy a can and give it a shot.  It seems like the texture is very coarse out of the can, like the grip tape you can buy (also to put down on step landing), but I'm hoping the "roughness" will even out with a few coats of Dura and clearcoat, enough to still maintain a textured finish but dulling the sandpaper feel.

My plan is to rough up the stock with some sandpaper, primer it, paint on the texture, primer it again, and then spray the Dura, with a final Dura matte clear coat to seal it up.  Hopefully the finish holds up well.  I'll be using Krylon primer as someone on the Hide recommended that.  

I'll take some pics of the process and the final product and post them up if there's interest.

I've got three 870s to do as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top