Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2022 1:03:48 PM EDT
There have been a couple of threads lately about trying to mount RH25's and -14's in some kind of bridge, and trying to get the -14 over your right/dominant eye.  Since this appears to be tough row to hoe, right now, I thought I'd weigh in with what I've been doing with a Breach.  Starting with NW's vids, you can see there is some work involved, but in the end, it IS doable.  You may not get any "fusion" per se, but you can get helmet mounted, dual spectrum capability, if just one at a time.  So if this is your goal, I would submit that the lowly Breach is actually a better choice for this, at the present time.

I started off with a SOTAC copy of the Wilcox bridge.  I used the SOTAC copy of the dovetail and mount for the -14, and the Mod Armory "MUM" style adapter and dovetail for the Breach.  This only works with the thermal on the right eye, since the dovetail for the -14 is not reversible.  But it did work reasonably well.  You could even get a semi-fusion thing going on.  Some guys say it's not a Wilcox, and while they're right, it actually does do a pretty good job; once you get it adjusted, you can lock it down for a pretty solid ride.  

I then tried the Noise Fighters Pano bridge.  Since it has arms for -14's in both positions, and an extra "MUM" style mount included, nothing more is needed to get up and running.  And I actually got two different set ups to work.  First, I set the thermal in "portrait" mode, with batt pack at 6 o'clock.  This works reasonably well, even if screen is slightly tilted.  I then rotated batt pack outboard, to 9 o'clock position (as viewed from behind optics), put it in "landscape" mode, and it actually matches the IPD I need, so the pic is level.  Now this may not work in all cases; I may have gotten lucky here, but it does work for me.  And you have to mention the weight difference.  The NF bridge is extremely light, which makes a big difference when we're mounting dual -14's or a Breach.   Some guys say it articulates too much; well, I say much like the SOTAC, when you get where you need to be, just lock it down.  

Next up will be the new SOTAC RQE bridge.  Since this is a Wilcox on 'roids, I think it might be a really good choice, if you need quick change capability between I2 and thermal.  Again not the real deal but practically the only game in town.  

If you want interchangeability between I2 and thermal, I'd say the real Wilcox, SOTAC Wilcox, real PVS, or SOCTAC RQE are what you want.  With a MA mount and dovetail, you can make this happen.

If you are more concerned with dual spectrum work and not switching out, then the NF model will work well.  And is practically a no-brainer because of the weight-savings.  But also works well with dual -14's, especially with digi batt packs.  The weight is very close to dedicated binos.  Just not quick-changeable.  

So not to re-hash NW/Will's work here, but to point out, for those of you looking for helmet mounted thermal and I2, with the I2 over the dominant eye, then the lowly Breach is actually still really useful here.  With it's 3 mounting points, and the MA dovetail assembly, it's one of the most adaptable choices out there right now.  Until you can get a RH25 or equivalent mounted up left eye.  And again I'm keying on doing this with right or dominant eye on I2, for passive or active shooting through RDS reticle.  If this isn't you, carry on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Good read. You know I'd be first Diz

Always like reading your stuff brother. Since I started alot of this shit, and own all the knick knaks mentioined, let me soak this all in!

@French1966
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a better thermal like you guys have, but all things considered, if you want HMT, like a few of us here, then I think Breach is a consideration.  Hopefully Neal comes out with a part for you guys that allows for batt outboard mounting on left side.  That's half way there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a better thermal like you guys have, but all things considered, if you want HMT, like a few of us here, then I think Breach is a consideration.  Hopefully Neal comes out with a part for you guys that allows for batt outboard mounting on left side.  That's half way there.
View Quote

Actually, Breach was my 1st choice but someone sent me the RH to T&E and I just havent gotten around to it being off the grid awhile.

Just spoke w Neal yesterday and found out  he was with 1/6 going into Iraq the same year I was leaving (05)
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Ha no shit that's the Jarhead mafia for ya.  Me and my mate were in PSA the other day and this guy sees my "JEST" t-shirt and is like hey man when did you go through JEST?  Turns out his Bn went through in 2014 (as opposed to mine in '79).  We agreed not much had probably changed.  My buddy cracks up that he can't take me anywhere without running into somebody.  

I like Neal's customer service; it's what we try to do as well.  And for sure you ain't gonna beat that weight.  Man if he would get you squared away with a solid mount, the RH25 is gonna be deadly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn’t someone post that Neal said that he was working on a better mounting solution in another thread?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn’t someone post that Neal said that he was working on a better mounting solution in another thread?
View Quote

Sorta what we're talking about. Yes, its mentioned in several other threads. I'd have to scroll thru them but you should find it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The mod armory (FLIR Breach PTQ136 Thermal Monocular Mounting Arm for IC/D-14 Dual Mount) arm on left eye and 14 on right eye works well for me.
I’m able to use both at the same time and the breach arm allows adjustment to the IPD and gets the screen horizontal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top