Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2021 7:08:40 PM EDT
I’ve decided I need a thermal for hunting.  Currently have a PVS14/IR Laser setup but it’s tough to notice some stationary stuff until it’s too late

I saw the iray mh25 and got a hankerin to dual mount it and the NV. Besides cool guy points my major interest is less BS to misplace, forget, etc

Is it worth it or just to handheld/weapon mount? If so what’s a decent alternative?

I posted on the iray mh25 thread but no love
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the MH25 as a helmet mounted scanner with my PVS14. I like the setup and the Wilcox bridge allows me to flip up the PVS or MH25.

I have not weapon mounted it and don't feel the need to.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the MH25 as a helmet mounted scanner with my PVS14. I like the setup and the Wilcox bridge allows me to flip up the PVS or MH25.

View Quote

Do you thermal spot then use NV to aim/fire?

Is your MH25 holding up? A bit nervous about spending $4.5k on Chinese anything
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
mine has held up for hundreds of hours in the field over the last 18 months.
I am not abusive but I'm not kind to it. dozens of nights in rain & snow. I froze it to failure one night. Not image or menu froze but literally frozen covered in frost white. Once It was warmed up and got a fresh battery it was fine.

2 minor things on mine that aren't perfect.

1, When I torque the -14 eye piece down snug the edge of the image distorts. Because of this I leave it a little less than snug and it can walk out of focus occasionally. It's most noticeable on nights that thermal conditions aren't great or are changing a lot & I'm making adjustments through the night.
2, I haven't figured out my video out from the USB-C port. When I plug my usb-c to 1.5mm aux into the UNV dvr it shuts the unit down. I've only tried it twice & have never called into IrayUSA about it yet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't own any thermals so take what im saying for a grain of salt.

I'd check out the Iray ML19, Its $1500 less expensive than the MH25 and i think as a helmet mountable thermal I think its pretty good.

Granted when you start zooming in the MH25 is gonna kill the ML19 but on 1x / 2x the ML19 looks like a solid performer. the ML19 is more in line with the Flir Breach but has a better sensor.

The other option would be to get a dedicated scope like a Hogster which you could mount to your gun or throw in a pocket and use as a scanner.

Like i said i don't own any thermals and have no real world experience using them only just looking threw them and reading about them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, thermal to spot and scan. Laser/RDS to fire.

No complaints. It's held up fine.  I've been able to see coyotes around 1,000yds away in really good conditions.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
2, I haven't figured out my video out from the USB-C port. When I plug my usb-c to 1.5mm aux into the UNV dvr it shuts the unit down. I've only tried it twice & have never called into IrayUSA about it yet.
View Quote

I get mine to work just fine.  I always use a battery pack on the MH25 while using the DVR.

Are you using the cables that came with your unit?
Is the DVR charged?
Did you turn on the video out on the MH25?

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I get mine to work just fine.  I always use a battery pack on the MH25 while using the DVR.

Are you using the cables that came with your unit?
Is the DVR charged?
Did you turn on the video out on the MH25?

View Quote

My early unit came with a remote but no other cable.
DVR is charged & video out is enabled. I suspected it was the usb-c to 1.5mm aux cable I bought and it's trying to draw power from the dvr.
I'm going to call in now that my memory has been jogged on it. I want to buy a replacement iris anyway. I got careless packing up one night and mine got damaged.
I replaced it with a BC flip cap but that iris really helps improve the image in tough conditions. I'm getting tired of holding my finger up in front of the lower lens to clean up the view some times.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got about a bunch of hunts so far on my mh25 in a bridge mount with a pvs 14 just in the past few months.  So far though I am really happy with mine and the clarity is unreal even in some nasty conditions in high humidity and rain it performed great.  I've run both batteries and a battery pack without issue. I generally will not run the battery pack while raining.

With the Wilcox bridge I can get almost a perfect image overlay with the pvs 14.  It really is the best of both worlds for what we're doing out hunting and stalking.

I'll be purchasing a thermal scope next though on a light weight rifle setup.  I'd like a bit more range over 300BO setup for night time. The wilcox bridge you can just flip to the side and you're ready to go to the scope.  

Only negatives would be weight, but just counter strong. Appropriately and I've done 3 to 4 hours at a time. You'll feel it the next day, but it'll make that neck stronk.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

...I generally will not run the battery pack while raining.

View Quote

Are you using 16650's with the Extension Tube? If so, are there TWO O-Rings - one between the Tube and the Unit, and one between the Cap and the Tube?

Reason I ask - according to the manual, it's supposed to come from the factory with the Extension Tube. Mine did not - I called the dealer and said I needed the Tube it's supposed to come with. They got one to me, but it was the Tube only - so I only have the one O-Ring that goes between the Cap and the Unit when using 123's. I added an O-Ring from my 'Box-O-O'Rings' but it isn't the exact match for the factory one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I'm running 16650's on the extended tube.  Mine only has the oring on the cap,  not on the device body.
I've run in the rain a few times without issue, but like I said before I pull the external battery pack just so I don't have that port opened.

Quoted:

Are you using 16650's with the Extension Tube? If so, are there TWO O-Rings - one between the Tube and the Unit, and one between the Cap and the Tube?

Reason I ask - according to the manual, it's supposed to come from the factory with the Extension Tube. Mine did not - I called the dealer and said I needed the Tube it's supposed to come with. They got one to me, but it was the Tube only - so I only have the one O-Ring that goes between the Cap and the Unit when using 123's. I added an O-Ring from my 'Box-O-O'Rings' but it isn't the exact match for the factory one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes I'm running 16650's on the extended tube.  Mine only has the oring on the cap,  not on the device body.
I've run in the rain a few times without issue, but like I said before I pull the external battery pack just so I don't have that port opened.

View Quote

Ok, thanks man!
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Spoke to Iray today.

Was told they do have video out cable and even though I bought mine almost 2 years ago they got one out.

He confirmed the USB-C to 1.5aux I bought for $4 off Amazing is almost 100% trying to power the MH25 from the unv dvr.

I’ve never really cared much about video before so it never bothered me. I fiddled with it several months ago and shelved it because I’d rather stalk predators down than make flashy vids for the gram but now I have a specific need to record the image on that optic.

In my experience you don’t have to be too concerned about their customer service.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You may consider holding out for this iray.  This system will have a reticle which can be used as an optic, clip-on, or helmet mountable.  It will also be able to record

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
$2k more than a mh25 and not as capable for the bridged role he’s looking for.

I’d pass on that unless something magic happens and it can be mounted on either eye and has better performance than the euros are giving it as a clip on. No doubt something can be done to juice up the algorithm given what IrayUSA has done with the other InfiRayOutdoor imports but something better than a -14 lens is going to have to happen to be a clip on contender at a price point above $6k.

“IME” have never found anyone who could give me a reason for a 1x TWS that didn’t include runnngun, belt fed, or “thick jungles” in the responses.
99% of users don’t use 2 of those and the other is worthy of a polite stifled chuckle so it’ll be a hard row to hoe making money on the 1x TWS bullet point.

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I will say I had some basic questions as I bought my mh25 2nd hand off the EE here. Used the contact us info off the IrayUSA site and my email was responded to within the same day. The guy I worked with was great and answered all my questions almost immediately.  

I get its a small sample size, but was better than getting crickets out of a company after a high dollar purchase.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I forget what my exact question was, a year or so ago, but the answer I got was from a dude at iRay HQ in China - in about a day. They do seem pretty responsive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
My customer service experience from both Canadian dealer and iray in China has been a nightmare
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d buy the iray ml19 for 1800 but these are listed online for 2500.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’d buy the iray ml19 for 1800 but these are listed online for 2500.
View Quote

lol

I bet you would Sir.

If the MH19 was being sold at $1800 the Breach would be sitting dusty on vendor stocking shelves at $1300.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

lol

I bet you would Sir.

If the MH19 was being sold at $1800 the Breach would be sitting dusty on vendor stocking shelves at $1300.

View Quote

Shouldn't the breach be more being a US product and all? I mean we were seeing used breaches for less than 2k here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
No, but If you want to pay more for a mediocre at best optic with 20% less resolution just because it has an American flag on the box more power to you.

For no extra charge you get less than half the IrayUSA warranty and that awesome Flir customer service that if something goes wrong and you have to send it in for repair you may just end up getting a white tag factory refurb unit back in the mail. No further warranty coverage of course.

Yeah Flir. Buy Merican

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an MH25, the ultimate goal is to have it mounted with a PVS-14 on a dual bridge for a "hybrid system", thus far i've only used it as a handheld scanner. It's really cool seeing critters (mice, skunks, etc) doing their thing in the woods, with the thermal they stick out like a sore thumb. I imagine it would be a bit tricky having it helmet mounted and trying to walk/move around, the slight delay and field of view don't match well with "instinctual movement"
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting. I Haven’t noticed that in the hundreds of hours and miles I’ve walked in line over the last couple years
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I have yet to notice anything close to delay with my mh25.  The auto nuc feature can sometimes happen at an inopportune time, but you can turn it off auto.  For me it is worth it while scanning.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I haven’t noticed that in the hundreds of hours and miles I’ve walked over the last couple years
View Quote

x2.  Total non-issue.  Might be lack of cranial processing power.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting. I Haven’t noticed that in the hundreds of hours and miles I’ve walked in line over the last couple years
View Quote

Maybe it's just my brain/eyes not used to the multiple sensory differences

I still like it way better than night vision tubes, I wish there was a passive aiming option for thermal like a laser for nods that would be really cool
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Have they stopped selling these units.  I was on the company website last week and wouldn’t find the 19 or 25 anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:05:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I still like it way better than night vision tubes, I wish there was a passive aiming option for thermal like a laser for nods that would be really cool
View Quote

My first issue MTM did in 2009.

I believe the first handful of MH25 did as well but they had to kill the feature because it didn't meet FDA output restrictions and would kill imports of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have they stopped selling these units.  I was on the company website last week and wouldn’t find the 19 or 25 anywhere.
View Quote

You may have been on the wrong website.
IrayUSA is the US importer. They list their product line and dealers. Kosher Surplus and Outdoor Legacy Gear both show units in stock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The better you are with a Monocular, the quicker you adapt to HMT, as you're already used to one-eyed navigation and no depth perception. But I didn't find it too hard to adapt - just gotta use it (and my rig is a backup, so I don't use it all the time, its still pretty familiar when I do). A Thermal visible aiming solution would only matter if you were running dual MH25s, or some future Bino - since you have one I2, no need - use IR LASER.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My first issue MTM did in 2009.

I believe the first handful of MH25 did as well but they had to kill the feature because it didn't meet FDA output restrictions and would kill imports of it.
View Quote

@dzhitshard
Can you elaborate on this?  I purchased an early unit with the laser and reticle feature included, but have heard they pulled it because the unit was not recoil rated...
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#32]
It wasn’t recoil rated. It was intended as a helmet mounted designator not a weapon sight.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, the Designator on the 25, was to show I2 wearers (or no NODs at all) where a heat source was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top