Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2020 6:32:42 PM EDT
Alright this is probably gonna be a lengthy post but dont worry I took lots of pics to keep you happy.

we all pretty much know the G24 is the gold standard in mounts. IMO the Norotos DDA is the gold standard of "arms" because its rock solid and not a plastic arm that flexes.
But we all also (or should by now) know that wilcox/wilcox and norotos/norotos are the turn key solutions for mounts and arms.

But I wanted to use my beloved DDA with a G24, I wanted the best of both worlds.
I probably have spent several hours googling, trying to get pictures, measurements, whatever trying to figure out why they dont play together.

Eventually I said screw it and bought a G24 because I intend to buy RNVG's down the road anyway so it isnt a total waste.

I broke out my calipers to "reverse engineer" things and figure out whats going on since it seems like nobody else on the internet has really done it, so here ya go!

First the shoes

the adjustable side depth

non adjustable depth

adjustable width

non adjustable width

adjustable tooth

non adjustable tooth

so looking at this the non adjustable shoe is actually smaller than the fixed shoe, yet the fixed shoe locks in.

So lets check out whats really going on here

left side of the wilcox with the adjustable shoe pushed in as hard as I can - plenty of clearance

right side of the wilcox with adjustable shoe - we have a picture of the mount bottoming out on the base of the adjustable shoe, this is exactly where you need 1-2 strokes of a file

here is the pvs-15/18 socket showing the clearance on both sides between the mount and bottom of the adjustable shoe

Now... take a look at this..

no your eyes are not fooling you. The right side of the G24 is actually thicker than the left side interface, this is why the G24 bottoms out and hits the base of the adjustable portion on the DDA

so lets measure it

right side

left side

And now we know exactly what is going on. So those of you who want to use a DDA with a G24 you know exactly what you need to hit with a file for a few strokes.
go slowly with the file on the DDA. the socket on the PVS-15/18 has a spring loaded section to give a solid lockup on shoes if they are slightly different sizes.

The G24 does not have this so I would take it one stroke at a time with the file to ensure a tight fit.

ETA: I should also add you always modify the cheapest part. You file the base of the DDA, not the G24
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Very well done. This problem has plagued  the G24/DDA combination for years. Hopefully this fix helps members figure out how to get a positive lock up between the 2. I take another look at the 2  DDA that I have fitment problems with with a manufacturer date of 2017 and 2014. The 2020 DDA locks up perfectly with the 2 G24s I have.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I can understand why there isn't a lot of info out there on this.

They don't work well together stock & it's fine. Tools for the job at hand and all that jazz.

Outside of The Gram a 24 isn't the functional gold standard for running a -14.

With that said, shop project posts executed well are cool in their own right.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I can understand why there isn't a lot of info out there on this.

They don't work well together stock & it's fine. Tools for the job at hand and all that jazz.

Outside of The Gram a 24 isn't the functional gold standard for running a -14.

With that said, shop project posts executed well are cool in their own right.
View Quote

I'm in the middle of the road on that statement. The non adjustable shoe locks in great, thats actually what I use instead of the adjustable.
at this point most of the members here have built rifles and done some form of light gunsmithing. fitting the DDA is easier than putting new furniture on an AK or putting night sights on a pistol, or installing a flash hider and any man worth anything has a set of hand files already

As for the mounts themselves its mostly a matter of opinion. if you are running a single 14 the only mount IMO that could top a G24 would be the INVG in case you wanted to flip up and roll it flat.
But the G24 is future proof for later on down the road if you end up running duals, use a DDA for an extremely solid mount for a 14 and you are already in the game if you pick up RNVG's or BNVD's.

To me Norotos seems like they are stuck in 2008 with their mounts. I will say the fit/finish and general quality of the G24 is better than any mount ive played with to date.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you're dead nuts on with the "future proof" decision for the 24, in the case of IF you know you're definitely ending up with duals in the not too distant future.

The INVG is definitely wanting in that roll. Sort of how I feel my g24 mounts are for the -14.

Maybe next time I see a DDT pop up in the exchange I'll grab it & do your shop project just to see if I can get over being crusty about a vendor steering me toward another g24 because my wobble box was "wore out or possibly an AS knockoff." The brand new one has the same play but is just harder to get a good lock into the shroud.

The handful of times I've gone to clip my -14 as a stand alone into on one of my g24 mounts I get a case of old man grumbles for not just having the INVG with me. All for being too cheap to get new foam & rearrange my kit box to add a space for my INVG.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a used DDA and later on a used G24 mount and they just worked.  Looks like a few years of wear and tear get the dimensions where they need to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top