User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I now have had time behind thin filmed GP, thin filmed WP, filmless GP, filmless WP, and Photonis Intens. GP filmless is my favorite but any will do the job.

I'd like to have manual gain on everything although GP IMO doesn't need it as much as WP. The slightly darker Intens never seems too bright and it shows with little scintillation. Manual gain is a must have in both WP Elbit thin filmed and WP L3 filmless.
View Quote

Cool, you finally got in front of some unfilmed WP. Any idea of the specs? Curious how it looked against the Intens.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Cool, you finally got in front of some unfilmed WP. Any idea of the specs? Curious how it looked against the Intens.
View Quote

Low 30s, halo looked to be under 1, don't remember ebi, and don't think he mentioned PC.

Not as drastic a color difference as portrayed in pics against Elbit. Nonetheless they appeared easier on my eyes the 5min or so I had them. Cleaner image than Elbits looking at fine details. If you're just scanning around it's hard to notice.

My Intens tube is cleaner than than this pair of L3 filmless. They had some fpn even with little ambient light. You could still distinguish more with the L3s bringing in more light.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a amber filter so its pretty moot for me.  When I get duals I'll good cleaner tube vs the wp.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG_2639-1686171.jpg

Remembering how much I used to like running green. Took pics of Midnight Rendezvous 2.0 last night with a green HP we have with the loaner gear.
View Quote

I found myself missing green too after I had my WP. Having both is the solution, of course.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Low 30s, halo looked to be under 1, don't remember ebi, and don't think he mentioned PC.

Not as drastic a color difference as portrayed in pics against Elbit. Nonetheless they appeared easier on my eyes the 5min or so I had them. Cleaner image than Elbits looking at fine details. If you're just scanning around it's hard to notice.

My Intens tube is cleaner than than this pair of L3 filmless. They had some fpn even with little ambient light. You could still distinguish more with the L3s bringing in more light.
View Quote

Agreed on the color difference not standing out as much on dark nights. With IR or brighter nights it was more obvious.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I can think of no advantage that white possesses over green, however green is the most efficient use of your battery power meaning that your batteries will last longer.
This is a physical fact as green appears brighter to the eye than any other color or combination of colors per unit of power used to generate it. That said, what ever blows your hair back.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Strongly disagree.  I got significant eye fatigue with green.  Like someone pressing a thumbprint on my eye.

WP...zero issues.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]

The FOM on the WP is better, but to me the eye fatigue is much much less with the WP.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Strongly disagree.  I got significant eye fatigue with green.  Like someone pressing a thumbprint on my eye.

WP...zero issues.
View Quote

Green is all I know/used at this point. But I've been using mine for the past 2 months at 4-5 hour stretches with 0 issues. I get more eye fatigue after a day out snowboarding on a sunny day while using tinted goggles.

The green pictures you posted do look harsher to my eyes compared to the WP, but that's one thing I've noticed. GP seems to come across more green in pictures then actual use, at least in my case.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Green is all I know/used at this point. But I've been using mine for the past 2 months at 4-5 hour stretches with 0 issues. I get more eye fatigue after a day out snowboarding on a sunny day while using tinted goggles.

The green pictures you posted do look harsher to my eyes compared to the WP, but that's one thing I've noticed. GP seems to come across more green in pictures then actual use, at least in my case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WP...zero issues.

The green is a FOM 1785 and the WP is a FOM 2614, but to me that doesn’t have eye fatigue bearing. After all night hunts, green starts to really hurt my eye where white is very easy over the same period of time.  And those pictures are from an old iPhone so not a great depiction of reality
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG_2639-1686171.jpg

Remembering how much I used to like running green. Took pics of Midnight Rendezvous 2.0 last night with a green HP we have with the loaner gear.
View Quote

To my eye this is how green looks to me. Nothing like most of the pictures on the internet. Is it specific to this unit or do most pictures just have the saturation turned up?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

To my eye this is how green looks to me. Nothing like most of the pictures on the internet. Is it specific to this unit or do most pictures just have the saturation turned up?
View Quote

Sometimes it's the camera, sometimes it's the phosphor color used by the tube manufacturer, and sometimes it is both. Usually it's the camera.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The green is a FOM 1785 and the WP is a FOM 2614, but to me that doesn’t have eye fatigue bearing. After all night hunts, green starts to really hurt my eye where white is very easy over the same period of time.  And those pictures are from an old iPhone so not a great depiction of reality
View Quote

Yeah higher gain would potentially cause fatigue. I could see a lower snr causing it as well since it'd probably have a lower image quality.

My buddy's WP Elbits cause my eyes to fatigue quickly if the gain isn't turned way down. Not an issue with green for me.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top