Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2019 11:15:33 PM EDT
My buddy sent me this monocular to try and fix, evidently someone left the alkaline batteries in it over a long period of time and they puked all in the battery compartment, which also by poor design contained the circuit board. When I opened it up to check the tube I found this I`ve never seen one with this designation (XX1613/P04) and I can`t find out anything online about it, even on Photonis` website. What I can tell by looking at it is that it`s a fat ANVIS tube with flying leads and a fiber-optic input, and it appears to be a white phosphor tube from the look of the output window. (blue tint). More pics:
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Photonis uses a unique fiber coupler that appears more milky or otherwise distinctive from fiber couplers on US tubes. Green and white phosphors look identical under ambient lighting. That being said, a P4 phosphor is white (same formulation as used on old black and white TV CRTs). Wonder if the P04 after the tube number alludes to that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
the white phosphor tubes i have seen from photonis have been xw    instead of xx
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
So I checked the tube by piercing the power supply wires with a pair of sewing needles (didn`t want to cut the wires yet) and It`s a green phosphor tube, looks like P22. txdx was right, the output end looks identical to a Photonis WP tube I have (johnelot is correct too). I found out the housing is a Swarovski NC2 with a SuperGen tube, which was designed to mount behind their spotting scopes marketed for birding. I think they used this tube format because they had an earlier version of the same housing, (NC1) that probably used MX9916 tubes.

My buddy doesn`t want the unit because the tube wont fit in a modern monocular housing, so he offered to sell it to me for double what he paid for it, $300.00! not only that, it came with a Navitron 25mm f0.95 c-mount lens.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I checked the tube by piercing the power supply wires with a pair of sewing needles (didn`t want to cut the wires yet) and It`s a green phosphor tube, looks like P22. txdx was right, the output end looks identical to a Photonis WP tube I have (johnelot is correct too). I found out the housing is a Swarovski NC2 with a SuperGen tube, which was designed to mount behind their spotting scopes marketed for birding. I think they used this tube format because they had an earlier version of the same housing, (NC1) that probably used MX9916 tubes.

My buddy doesn`t want the unit because the tube wont fit in a modern monocular housing, so he offered to sell it to me for double what he paid for it, $300.00! not only that, it came with a Navitron 25mm f0.95 c-mount lens.
View Quote
Not a bad deal! Those fast 25mm lenses are nice. Let me know if you ever decide to part with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive my dumbness. What is that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgive my dumbness. What is that?
View Quote
The Navitar lens? It`s a very high performance c-mount objective lens, the lower (faster) the f #  the more light it lets in. a PVS-14 lens is f1.2
Top Top