Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2019 2:53:52 PM EDT
Questions about the MOD3 - Tube matching, Dual gain control
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm considering the AB Nightvision MOD3 with L3 filmless WP tubes.

Tube Matching
Do binocular devices need tubes matched with similar specs or is it sufficient to match tube type/model? Is there generally an attempt to match tubes with pre-built binoculars?

Monocular to binocular
If I first bought the MOD3 monocular, would I have any issues buying the bridge and another monocular to make a pair of binoculars?

Dual gain
Are dual gain knobs finicky? I can imagine: either doesn't require that much adjustment to get a decent image, or I'd be fiddling with two independent knobs all night. Which is closer to the truth?

If I was just hiking around with these goggles at night where there are few artificial light sources, should I go for automatic or manual? How much does gain even need to be adjusted automatic or otherwise? Would I generally be fine leaving them on one setting almost all the time?

Durability
I get that no one is dropping their $10k goggles for fun, but how do these feel in terms of durability? I know they just changed the female adapter from polymer to aluminum with the Bravo bridge. Are the optic pods polymer or aluminum?

Waterproof
These have a 66 foot submersion rating. Does this mean the unit will basically function underwater or just that they can survive submersion and will function after they have been dried out.

Nitrogen purging
Important or no? Does a retailer like TNVC nitrogen purge routinely?
View Quote
I have two MOD3s. One fixed gain, one manual gain. The knobs are not finicky to me, they work, but I hardly touch them. I adjust before heading into the field or doing a comp and never touch them after that. I've done hunting, a Cola Warrior comp and a 5K run n gun with the manual gain MOD3. The RnG was through brush, trees and obstacles. I wasn't scared of breaking them and they are insured.

In my experience, matching tubes is nice, but not required. Some people are more sensitive to it. If the tubes are close, you should be good.

I bought my MOD3 for being able to split them up, but guess what I've never split them mainly because my friends either have their own or the ones who don't have them don't want to go hunt. . I'd just do the duals, less having to worry a out piecing it together later. Buy once, cry once.

I didn't spend near $10k for mine. I bought used or lower quality tubes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top