Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
question For those who may have Experience with both iterations of the Perst 4.  Is the green visible laser model worth the $60-70 over the red visible model?

It looks like the ir lasers on both models are 20mw while the red vis is 5mw & green vis is 18mw. The only thing I would use the vis for would be to slave the laser to my eotech. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
question For those who may have Experience with both iterations of the Perst 4.  Is the green visible laser model worth the $60-70 over the red visible model?

It looks like the ir lasers on both models are 20mw while the red vis is 5mw & green vis is 18mw. The only thing I would use the vis for would be to slave the laser to my eotech. Thanks!
View Quote

Green lasers tend to be more visible than red.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any hold up in shipping from Russia currently? Since you guys aren't posting your Persts in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The one I ordered two weeks ago seems to be trucking along just fine. I have a feeling I'll receive it next week.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

for me, yes. The green is more visible in daylight and I really only use it to zero/check zero with the IR...
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

IMO, yes, but I never tried their Red. I even went with the Green Std, at, I think, 12mW - and I had that thing out at 1PM, under a clear, sunny sky two days ago and could pick up the Green dot ~75yds away on tree trunks. The 18mW must be insane. I went 12mW to save some money (another $70 IIRC) as I figured 12mW would be enough - which I'll probably never need anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The one I ordered two weeks ago seems to be trucking along just fine. I have a feeling I'll receive it next week.
View Quote

That's good.

Ivan shows 1 in stock of the red 3 but says 0 in stock when added to the cart though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Question.

I am in the market for an IR laser / illuminator. For the guys who own these, would you buy it again? Or would you buy something like a steiner dbal? or something else?
View Quote

Context: This is my first laser to own and I don't have a ton of time with it. Have played with a few others.

I'm happy with it and I'd buy it again. I'd like to add a full power version of the 9007 i2, but for my first laser, I think the Perst is great. If you have the money to buy a MAWL, I think that's a better option but other than that I don't think I'd have chosen anything else.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

for me, yes. The green is more visible in daylight and I really only use it to zero/check zero with the IR...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea that’s what I’m thinking. May be hard to see the red laser against the red eotech reticle at 75-100 yards.. shouldn’t have sold the last perst 4+ I had
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Question.

I am in the market for an IR laser / illuminator. For the guys who own these, would you buy it again? Or would you buy something like a steiner dbal? or something else?
View Quote

I'd buy at least one more. The civy dbal is a huge disappointment compared pared to a perst. Even though the perst is full power when turned down mine has a smaller cleaner dot than my dbal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
View Quote

It's probably largely the clean bright perst illuminator.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is for me. The Perst 4 green is so bright I can zero it in broad daylight under most conditions in Texas

Just be super careful with it. It's a full power laser and way more dangerous than US regulated stuff
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Can the IR laser on the Perst-4 be dialed down to around the equipment of a class 1 IR laser? All of the reviews that I’m seeing all show it in full light saber mode, but I’m worried that the IR laser might actually be TOO bright even on the lowest setting for certain applications. Does someone have both to compare?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can the IR laser on the Perst-4 be dialed down to around the equipment of a class 1 IR laser? All of the reviews that I'm seeing all show it in full light saber mode, but I'm worried that the IR laser might actually be TOO bright even on the lowest setting for certain applications. Does someone have both to compare?
View Quote
There are 5 levels of brightness.  All of the levels are super bright through NODS without an illuminator to tame down the dot.
I don't have a class 1 to compare against, though.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is there any hold up in shipping from Russia currently? Since you guys aren't posting your Persts in the EE.
View Quote

I’ve been waiting over a month for mine...
Ordered off eBay on the March 27th.  After bouncing around Moscow for four weeks, tracking showed it in New York April 25th... but just today (April 29th) it shows that it went back Russia.

Anyone experienced this?!?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered from Black Phase Tactical on April 9, got it April 26.  I liked working with an American dealer, simply because he is here, and he gives an all-up price.  Nothing against the other guys, but they are not quoting you the total cost, including taxes and shipping- until you order.  BPT is dealing with the customs and shipping and then shipping to you.  I think that's value-add- YMMV.

The Perst-3 is amazing.  Compared to the ATPIAL I was rocking, well, there is no comparison.  Testing it out in the back yard, the IR laser is very close to a civvy laser, on lowest setting.  At say 25 to 100m it looks very similar to my old ATPIAL, or even my old OTAL.  So you can dial in down to roughly the same intensity.  That being said, this thing is truly a light saber like all these guys have been saying.  I would recommend getting some laser safe safety glasses for use with it.  Yeah.

The IR illum is something else.  As cool as the laser is, this is what really sets this unit apart.  PID at 100m with a -14, no worries mate.  But now I'm gonna have to get a clip on to see what this baby can really do.  Damn Rooshins!

Some bits and bobs.  It sits down nice and low on the rail, just out of view with an EOTech EXPS3-0.  I have a SF M640 on there with it, which can be adjusted to fit, but also tried a legacy Scout with an Arisaka Offset Scout mount and it tucks under the right side perfectly, just like the ATPIAL.  For the Scout tape switch, the Cloud Defense LCS M-Lok nestles under the Perst, on the left side at "10:30".  This is with a Midwest Industries Combat rail.  So my thinking is, at least with the MI rail, if your stuff fits with an ATPIAL, it will probably fit with the Perst.

It comes with a Panasonic 123 batt installed (again be careful; treat it like a loaded gun; don't look down the "muzzle").  To get a SF 123 in there, I had to remove the extra battery pad on top cover.  The batt from factory is slightly smaller and needs extra padding I suppose,  But at least they know a SF batt won't fit and made the extra pad removable.  Just a piece of rubber with adhesive, no issues.  And nice touch.  Got the enlarged thumbscrews too, which work just fine.    

To zero it, I just picked out a long distance "infinity" object, and moved laser to red (er green) dot.  Nice screw adjustment here.  And yes I removed cap wire, which is just this side of a RCS, before it broke.  

After reading all the stories here I was concerned about adjusting the illum to the laser.  But with the new longer wrench, it was pretty easy.  It feels klunky at first, so take it easy and don't force the screws; just apply (increasing) pressure until it moves, if that makes sense.

On a 9.5" rail you ain't got much room, so I left the switch off for now.  But damn that thing is a beauty.  I am using the back button, which works just fine.  I actually like it better than either the ATPIAL on-board button, or the SF dual switch I was using it with.  Or the OTAL with TAPS switch I was also using before that.  It has good physical movement, which lets you know you're doing something (unlike some others that are just pressure activated, with no physical feed-back).  I gotta say, I like the one push for constant on, and then one push off.  Bottom line it's a shame to leave the switch off, but it works just fine without it.

Overall, initial impressions are very good.  It is very functional, but not very, uh esthetically pleasing.  In other words, very Russian.  In the same spirit as the rifle it was made for.  Would I buy another?  Absolutely.    

If I was HMFIC of Zenitco.  The first thing I'd do is put a button right behind the illum, in the little 45 deg cut out there.  It's a natural spot for thumb activation, nyet?  The next two are basically tied, but first I'd put normal adjustment screws on the illum.  Sorry Comrade but that adjustment system is classic Russian Kludge.  Then put a std batt cap up front between illum and lasers.  That, gentlemen would make this little unit govno-hot!  Also minor nit but would like to see slightly more robust screw mount (up at least one size).

Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Hi folks, I didn't order a Perset 3 (yet), but have ordered Zenitco handguards from Ivan Tactical. Service from them was very fast, but holy hell, the Russian post office was slow. I finally got notified last night that the package has been scanned leaving Russia, over a month after it allegedly cleared Russian customs.

Is it normal to be that slow, or am I just really unlucky? I ask because I do plan on buying a Zenitco laser for this "alpha" ak project eventually.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ordered from Black Phase Tactical on April 9, got it April 26.  I liked working with an American dealer, simply because he is here, and he gives an all-up price.  Nothing against the other guys, but they are not quoting you the total cost, including taxes and shipping- until you order.  BPT is dealing with the customs and shipping and then shipping to you.  I think that's value-add- YMMV.

The Perst-3 is amazing.  Compared to the ATPIAL I was rocking, well, there is no comparison.  Testing it out in the back yard, the IR laser is very close to a civvy laser, on lowest setting.  At say 25 to 100m it looks very similar to my old ATPIAL, or even my old OTAL.  So you can dial in down to roughly the same intensity.  That being said, this thing is truly a light saber like all these guys have been saying.  I would recommend getting some laser safe safety glasses for use with it.  Yeah.

The IR illum is something else.  As cool as the laser is, this is what really sets this unit apart.  PID at 100m with a -14, no worries mate.  But now I'm gonna have to get a clip on to see what this baby can really do.  Damn Rooshins!

Some bits and bobs.  It sits down nice and low on the rail, just out of view with an EOTech EXPS3-0.  I have a SF M640 on there with it, which can be adjusted to fit, but also tried a legacy Scout with an Arisaka Offset Scout mount and it tucks under the right side perfectly, just like the ATPIAL.  For the Scout tape switch, the Cloud Defense LCS M-Lok nestles under the Perst, on the left side at "10:30".  This is with a Midwest Industries Combat rail.  So my thinking is, at least with the MI rail, if your stuff fits with an ATPIAL, it will probably fit with the Perst.

It comes with a Panasonic 123 batt installed (again be careful; treat it like a loaded gun; don't look down the "muzzle").  To get a SF 123 in there, I had to remove the extra battery pad on top cover.  The batt from factory is slightly smaller and needs extra padding I suppose,  But at least they know a SF batt won't fit and made the extra pad removable.  Just a piece of rubber with adhesive, no issues.  And nice touch.  Got the enlarged thumbscrews too, which work just fine.    

To zero it, I just picked out a long distance "infinity" object, and moved laser to red (er green) dot.  Nice screw adjustment here.  And yes I removed cap wire, which is just this side of an RCS, before it broke.  

After reading all the stories here I was concerned about adjusting the illum to the laser.  But with the new longer wrench, it was pretty easy.  It feels klunky at first, so take it easy and don't force the screws; just apply (increasing) pressure until it moves, if that makes sense.

On a 9.5" rail you ain't got much room, so I left the switch off for now.  But damn that thing is a beauty.  I am using the back button, which works just fine.  I actually like it better than either the ATPIAL on-board button, or the SF dual switch I was using it with.  Or the OTAL with TAPS switch I was also using before that.  It has good physical movement, which lets you know you're doing something (unlike some others that are just pressure activated, with no physical feed-back).  I gotta say, I like the one push for constant on, and then one push off.  Bottom line it's a shame to leave the switch off, but it works just fine without it.

Overall, initial impressions are very good.  It is very functional, but not very, uh esthetically pleasing.  In other words, very Russian.  In the same spirit as the rifle it was made for.  Would I buy another?  Absolutely.    

If I was HMFIC of Zenitco.  The first thing I'd do is put a button right behind the illum, in the little 45 deg cut out there.  It's a natural spot for thumb activation, nyet?  The next two are basically tied, but first I'd put normal adjustment screws on the illum.  Sorry Comrade but that adjustment system is classic Russian Kludge.  Then put a std batt cap up front between illum and lasers.  That, gentlemen would make this little unit govno-hot!  Also minor nit but would like to see slightly more robust screw mount (up at least one size).

Pics to follow.
View Quote

Great review Diz. I am probably going to grab one up soon. I emailed Zentico on eBay and asked if they would sell the Perst without the switch and was quoted -$30 USD. So that might be something BPT or Ivan would do as well if you inquire. I would like to keep the bulk down on my rifle and was hoping the rear switch would be robust with feedback. I posted this question earlier in the thread and other guys have said the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Well to be honest, I wanted that switch because I plan on putting this on a 14.5" LPVO rifle as well and see what we can see.  So I will have a bit more room for the switch.  But yeah a menu would be nice so you could pick one of the newer, smaller units, or maybe even the double, if so inclined.

Ideally, a stocking dealer on this side would help a lot with these shipping and customs issues.  But these days they never make it to stock, so you just gotta catch BPT with a new shipment coming in (which he has rolling now) to knock this down a bit.  I think I ordered about mid-way his shipment process so I go lucky.  If you ordered within the next week or so from him, I'm betting you'd have a similar experience to me.

But I will put the switch on and goof with it a little as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

To zero it, I just picked out a long distance "infinity" object, and moved laser to red (er green) dot.  Nice screw adjustment here.  And yes I removed cap wire, which is just this side of an RCS, before it broke.  

Pics to follow.
View Quote

Waiting (not so) patiently for the pictures, as I’m looking to almost exactly duplicate this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's a few pics.

Overall shot showing size on rail.

Compared to ATPIAL

Business end.  Note how low illum and lasers sit.  Not bad.  Also note white light tucks in nicely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#24]
A couple more shots.

Here's the SF M640 Scout, with M-Lok pivot mount.  Set up with a toothpick between light and Perst housing (about .050").  

Here's the Cloud Defense unit with M-Lok mount and SF tape switch.

And a shot from the office-end showing switchology.  Notice notch created by illum and perfect spot for button.  Or at least move + and - buttons to back and put button on side in their place.  And maybe other button on top moved to other side for lefties?

In case you're wondering, that's Duracoat "Magpul FDE" on there now.  The finish is typical AK-chic, which is functional, but I prefer to camo everything down.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Took some more pics, might be a little clearer.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Botach has the ls321g for under $600 on their site.

I decided to roll the dice on that vs. risk the long trip from Russia with the shipping routes being so precarious at the moment.

Now all of you guys are going to get your Russian lasers and my dang holosun hasn’t even shipped.

I may have chosen poorly.
View Quote

I got Botached good and hard on that LS321g.  Order sat untouched for almost a month, and then it was unceremoniously cancelled.  So jokes on me.

Thinking that I should grab a -4 from Black Phase.  Just have to figure out how to get illumination on there... and white light.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Well hey you might come out of that one OK now.  I don't know what the BPT status is on -4's vs -3's but would hope they are inbound as well.

This thing is sure growing on me.  After taking pics it's pretty much the same footprint as my old ATPIAL.  But with a little bit more, uh, umpf.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
For anyone who ordered on eBay here’s a look at my current tracking info: I ordered March 29,2020. Klesch 2

Package status: In transit
Destination:
2020-04-29 07:09, RUSSIAN FEDERATION, MOSKVA PCI-21, Processed Through Facility -> Your item has been processed through a facility in MOSKVA PCI-21, RUSSIAN FEDERATION at 7:09 am on April 29, 2020.
2020-04-02 15:50, Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
2020-04-02 15:50, RUSSIAN FEDERATION, MOSKVA PCI-21, Processed Through Facility
2020-03-31 17:02, RUSSIAN FEDERATION, Acceptance
Origin:
2020-04-29 07:09, Russian Federation, MR LC Vnukovo Cex-2 MMPO 102972, Export of international mail
2020-04-29 00:03, Russian Federation, Sheremet`evo MMPO 104980, Processing, Arrival at inward office of exchange
2020-04-28 17:41, Russian Federation, MR LC Vnukovo 102975, Processing, Departure from inward office of exchange
2020-04-02 16:53, Russian Federation, MR LC Vnukovo Cex-2 MMPO 102972, Customs clearance, Released by custom house
2020-04-02 16:52, Russian Federation, MR LC Vnukovo Cex-2 MMPO 102972, Handed over to customs
2020-04-02 15:50, Russian Federation, MR LC Vnukovo Cex-2 MMPO 102972, Processing, Arrival at transit office of exchange
2020-04-02 10:18, Russian Federation, MR LC Vnukovo 102975, Processing, Arrival at inward office of exchange
2020-04-01 02:05, Russian Federation, LC Vnukovo-2 108960, Processing, Departure from inward office of exchange
2020-04-01 01:16, Russian Federation, LC Vnukovo-2 108960, Processing, Arrival at inward office of exchange
2020-03-31 23:04, Russian Federation, Moskva 101000, Processing, Departed from origin facility
2020-03-31 17:02, Russian Federation, Moskva 101000, Acceptance, Single
======================================