Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2018 7:45:52 PM EDT
Hoping to get some recommendations for a new helmet-mounted light.

I'd like to have something relatively light and compact, but with both a white and IR option, ideally good to 100 yards or so. Just picked up a DBAL-D2 for distance and targeting, so this is more for hands-free looking around and navigation. I'm leaning towards something like a Surefire M300V or X300V or maybe one of the Inforce Gen2 options. I'd rather not spend $200-$300 on a helmet light, but if that's the right solution, then I'll cough up the cash.

I've been through most of the "helmet pictures" thread and see a lot of MPLS lights, but not a whole lot of others. Anyone have anything they're especially happy with or any advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the red/white/IR option:  princetontec charge pro

If you have comms  on your bucket and need to mount your light higher, above the ARC rail:  princetontec above-the-rail-mount
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the red/white/IR option:  princetontec charge pro

If you have comms  on your bucket and need to mount your light higher, above the ARC rail:  princetontec above-the-rail-mount
View Quote
How’s the IR throw on the Charge Pro? I thought the secondary LEDs were pretty much useful for near-field only but I’ve never used one so I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hoping to get some recommendations for a new helmet-mounted light.

I'd like to have something relatively light and compact, but with both a white and IR option, ideally good to 100 yards or so. Just picked up a DBAL-D2 for distance and targeting, so this is more for hands-free looking around and navigation. I'm leaning towards something like a Surefire M300V or X300V or maybe one of the Inforce Gen2 options. I'd rather not spend $200-$300 on a helmet light, but if that's the right solution, then I'll cough up the cash.

I've been through most of the "helmet pictures" thread and see a lot of MPLS lights, but not a whole lot of others. Anyone have anything they're especially happy with or any advice?

Thanks!
View Quote
I've got a surefire v1 on my helmet.  I took off the clip and put it in a mlok ring mount.

Works well for me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Vampire and a Scout.  Mounted the Scout on my helmet with a Remora mount and traded the head out with the Vampire.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The Charge Pro IR is considerably better (+/- 50% more) than the built-in illum on a PVS14, but its not going to shine anything near to 100 yds. Its a great nav and work area light. I have a SF300v (100mw)or 600v (120mw) weapon mounted for the distance you mentioned (<100 yds).  I just recently set my system up and started out with a Princetontec Switch, which was more of a reading light imo.  My new Charge Pro is a huge improvement over my built-in illumination and the lowly (but low profile) Switch.

eta I suppose you could put a SF600v mount on your ARC rail for more throw vs a Charge Pro.  Go crazy and mount a TNVC Torch Pro with a Vtac mount to your ARC rail.  Charge Pro is a nice compromise for me and its button is easy to reach and push in the dark (mounted above the ARC).
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an Inforce white/ir on my Team Hillary. I don't like this light for rifle, but it works great on a bucket.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]
On my helmet, I have a Streamlight Sidwinder Compact with White, IR, red and blue LEDs on one side.  On the high setting, the IR is good to maybe 50 yards.  On the lower settings, I find it just about perfect for navigating while walking.  On the other side of the helmet I have a stronger more focused IR- an old illuminator that came with an ATN gen 1 scope.  It has an adjustable lens (spot/ flood) and adjustable power switch.

When walking through woods, I find that an IR navigation light can get a lot of wash out if it is too strong, but I like being able to turn on the stronger beam when needed, usually in the fields.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
SureFire V1 can be found for 150 new on ebay paired withe the pic rail and either a ring or VTAC mount is going to be your best option for reaching out to 100 yards +. I don't like the Inforce because the push button switch is un protected from accidental activation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate all the suggestions - I was leaning towards one of the Surefire options and it's good to hear that they're working well.

I've got a M622V, but it's a bit much for a helmet light which was why I was thinking the M300V - I hadn't looked at the V1 but it looks like that may be the big winner, with the added bonus of being handheld if needed.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Charge Pro IR is considerably better (+/- 50% more) than the built-in illum on a PVS14, but its not going to shine anything near to 100 yds. Its a great nav and work area light. I have a SF300v (100mw)or 600v (120mw) weapon mounted for the distance you mentioned (<100 yds).  I just recently set my system up and started out with a Princetontec Switch, which was more of a reading light imo.  My new Charge Pro is a huge improvement over my built-in illumination and the lowly (but low profile) Switch.

eta I suppose you could put a SF600v mount on your ARC rail for more throw vs a Charge Pro.  Go crazy and mount a TNVC Torch Pro with a Vtac mount to your ARC rail.  Charge Pro is a nice compromise for me and its button is easy to reach and push in the dark (mounted above the ARC).
View Quote
would a tnvc torch pro on a helmet be too heavy?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

would a tnvc torch pro on a helmet be too heavy?
View Quote
I have done it. It's doable but more bulky than heavy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an Inforce white/ir on my Team Hillary. I don't like this light for rifle, but it works great on a bucket.
View Quote
I am trying out the Inforce 700 lumen white / 400 IR on my ops-core bump now

Had been using an older Primary Arms 700 or 900 lumen white light for hunting, which while long, wasn't heavy and worked very well. The throw is fantastic outdoors. Hoping the Inforce has really good white light throw also
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SureFire V1 can be found for 150 new on ebay paired withe the pic rail and either a ring or VTAC mount is going to be your best option for reaching out to 100 yards +. I don't like the Inforce because the push button switch is un protected from accidental activation.
View Quote
Uh, wut?

There is a bar that you can flip over the switch to prevent accidental discharge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Uh, wut?

There is a bar that you can flip over the switch to prevent accidental discharge.
View Quote
Uh, yeah. The bar doesn't cover enough  of the switch to prevent a ND.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, wut?

Huh, I use it all the time and it works quite well.

ETA: Sam is using a flashlight with a rocker switch and no cover.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try not to ride too many TNVC sacks its unbecoming. Just because Sam uses it doesn't mean it's the best out there. Don't get me wrong Sam knows his stuff and see what works, what doesn't  and has multiple rigs but every piece of kit has its weak points. IIRC Vic runs a Surefire V1 so does that mean my setup is superior???
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#18]
In force white/IR for major illumination and a PrincetonTec red/IR MPLS Switch for task lighting.

The IR on the Switch is surprisingly bright.

I tried the Charge and prefer the Switch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have an Inforce white/ir   I don't like this light for rifle, but it works great on a bucket.
View Quote
Por que?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#21]
V1 on a VTAC mount. Easy illum out to 100+ and it has hi and lo and white light when you find yourself needing to do non-stealthy things.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/446803/IMG_2534_JPG-716932.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/446803/32504084990_ee83004b3f_k-716931.jpg

I use a Surefire X-300V, so i can see both vis and IR light if I need it in conjunction with my NODs
View Quote
I'd like my SF600v WAY more if it had a nice tight cone like the light on the rifle (in the 1st pic in the above post).  Not to derail op's post, but what "selectable" white/IR light can be dialed-in so tightly at 100 to 200 yds?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Speaking of the Surefire V1... Anyone know when the new Surefire V1 in tan is being released?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Try not to ride too many TNVC sacks its unbecoming. Just because Sam uses it doesn't mean it's the best out there. Don't get me wrong Sam knows his stuff and see what works, what doesn't  and has multiple rigs but every piece of kit has its weak points. IIRC Vic runs a Surefire V1 so does that mean my setup is superior???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you jabbering about? Don’t project your homosexual fantasies onto me.

The WML works fine and has a mechanism that helps prevent AD.

The Surefire V family also works fine.

I also run one of the PrincetonTech task lights for up close stuff.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't care what anyone else says but there is about 2 or 3 Princeton tec models that are so far ahead of all the others that there is no choice Princeton tec MLPS or charge  are the way to go and they have IR and White I have personally used each model 2 times each
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I use a Princeton Tec Charge PRO on an above the rail mount on the left side and a Surefire M300V on a Unity Tactical Remora MARK or a S&S Precision M-Ax, on the right side depending on the helmet.  I see that S&S has a M-Ax mount for the TW lids now, I might have to upgrade the MARK.  Works great for my uses.  The Charge PRO flexible head is awesome for task light needs and the M300V is perfect for looking around.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I use a Princeton Tec Charge PRO on an above the rail mount on the left side and a Surefire M300V on a Unity Tactical Remora MARK or a S&S Precision M-Ax, on the right side depending on the helmet.  I see that S&S has a M-Ax mount for the TW lids now, I might have to upgrade the MARK.  Works great for my uses.  The Charge PRO flexible head is awesome for task light needs and the M300V is perfect for looking around.
View Quote
Ok, that’s cool!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've got a surefire v1 on my helmet.  I took off the clip and put it in a mlok ring mount.

Works well for me.
View Quote
I did the same on mine.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I love my Petzl Strix-IR for close-in helmet-mounted white/IR illumination.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
get the china light.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a gen1 I force wml and feel it’s perfect. Selectable high/low on bothe white and IR. Not too heavy either.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#33]
This is what I use, and have a princeton mpls on the other side in visible/ir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top