Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2018 12:30:29 AM EDT
I am in the market for a thermal weapon sight. Eyeing the MKII or MKIII 35mm. I understand there is a firmware upgrade between the two but what is the benefit? What makes it better? The $1000 increase for the same specs has me wondering if it is worth the cash. Or is there something new and better now in the same price range?

I am sure this has been discussed but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The extra 1000$ buys you 2 extra reticle , one of them is useful if you like an uncluttered screen. Also buys you a stadiametric rangefinder, which has zero use for killing pigs. Also get you the ability to store zeros for multiple rifles .
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Also a dual lever Larue QD Mount (mk3) vs a single (mk2) and the capability to upgrade to a 60mm

Both are solid
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the difference in the reticles? I am having a hard time figuring out an extra $1000 for  the reticles and range finder. It looks like the upgrade to 60mm can be done for $2500 from the MKii. I will likely only use it on one gun. Two tops.

Is there a better option at $7000?

I appreciate the input
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had an original IRD Hunter MKII for 3 years now and at time of the upgrade offer to now I saw no need or justification to pay the extra grand. I agree on the killing hogs statement or even coyotes for that matter. I use it to hunt at night so for the majority of the time I am on top of whatever shows up or we run into.

I would take take my time save more and get a Reap-IR. Same tech of the MKIII, some say a better image and at a great weight/dimension savings.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the difference in the reticles? I am having a hard time figuring out an extra $1000 for  the reticles and range finder. It looks like the upgrade to 60mm can be done for $2500 from the MKii. I will likely only use it on one gun. Two tops.

Is there a better option at $7000?

I appreciate the input
View Quote
What distances, generally, are you shooting?  The 35mm has a native 2.5x magnification

The rangefinder is a bit useless when action is hot.

Better options?  For clarity and durability...not really.  The REAP ?IIR is lighter and possibly better for scanning as well.

Do you want to record?

Other options also allow firmware updates remotely unlike Trijicon.

My preference is the REAP-IR for all around.  I love the form factor, clarity, and Trijicon backing.  I don't care about recording, and the BAE OASYS core is amazing.  If I had to get a different one, I'd probably go 35mm MK3 or MK2.

Pulsar is making nice stuff for about 3/5 the cost of Triji, but cost was not a factor for my purchase.  I wanted the top end performance in the areas I cared about.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have had an original IRD Hunter MKII for 3 years now and at time of the upgrade offer to now I saw no need or justification to pay the extra grand. I agree on the killing hogs statement or even coyotes for that matter. I use it to hunt at night so for the majority of the time I am on top of whatever shows up or we run into.

I would take take my time save more and get a Reap-IR. Same tech of the MKIII, some say a better image and at a great weight/dimension savings.
View Quote
35mm is the sweet spot for Trijicon IMO.  Good out to 100y+ easily but not too much magnification (60mm MK3 has a 4.5x native) for close encounters.  As many know, upping digital zoom reduces image quality by the factor of digital zoom.

And yes, like mentioned above, the REAP is my favorite due to overall performance and form factor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
What distances, generally, are you shooting? The 35mm has a native 2.5x magnification

Shooting probably won't be further than 100-200yards.

Better options? For clarity and durability...not really. The REAP ?IIR is lighter and possibly better for scanning as well.

I honestly will mostly use it for finding wildlife/ wolves/ elk/ deer in the mountains. I have found it to be more effective than a spotting scope for glassing for wildlife bowhunting. I do live in Texas so definitely will be using it for Pigs and coyotes the other half of the time. I assume the Reap IR would be better for that, but I don't know if by much.

Do you want to record? I don't really care about the ability to record. I guess I can add a DVR down the road.

I greatly appreciate all of your input. I have played around with an MKIII, and was blown away, but never the REAP IR or MKii so I have nothing to compare.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am thinking it will be MKii or Reap IR now. I have not found a Reap Ir to play with yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What distances, generally, are you shooting? The 35mm has a native 2.5x magnification

Shooting probably won't be further than 100-200yards.

Better options? For clarity and durability...not really. The REAP ?IIR is lighter and possibly better for scanning as well.

I honestly will mostly use it for finding wildlife/ wolves/ elk/ deer in the mountains. I have found it to be more effective than a spotting scope for glassing for wildlife bowhunting. I do live in Texas so definitely will be using it for Pigs and coyotes the other half of the time. I assume the Reap IR would be better for that, but I don't know if by much.

Do you want to record? I don't really care about the ability to record. I guess I can add a DVR down the road.

I greatly appreciate all of your input. I have played around with an MKIII, and was blown away, but never the REAP IR or MKii so I have nothing to compare.
View Quote
So we’ve made good ground in this thread. To summarize (Tmm has all of them, I have the REAP and have also used the mk2):

MK2 - comes in 19mm and 35mm. Least expensive. Single QD Larue mount and excellent as a scope.

MK3 - comes in 35mm and 60mm. Middle or highest cost depending on the mm choice. Double QD Larue mount. Extra reticles from the MK2 and ability to store them as a set zero for different rifles. Also rangefinder which I don’t find much value in. 3 vs 2 battery option

REAP-IR- basically the 35mm MK3 in a smaller package. My personal favorite.

Also, a little insider info, go with a SN number above 35000 (REAP) for the updated rev1 core which fixes a few bugs and gives it a slightly different color hue. You’ll know not just by the printed SN number but also the firmware flashing once turned on at the top left as 4.xx vs original core 2.xx. Call around for better prices on each. Website prices are all msrp. New can be negotiated, and some vendors discount more than others.  You should be able to find each for 600-1000 less than websites state.

If mostly 150y-200y+ I’d actually want a 60mm MK3. 35mm is a fantastic close to medium middle ground.

If I wanted to video or upgrade firmware remotely, I’d consider the less expensive XP50 Pulsar
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
In same boat as OP, but I wonder if it would be beneficial to wait until Flir releases the PTS536 with the 640 core?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In same boat as OP, but I wonder if it would be beneficial to wait until Flir releases the PTS536 with the 640 core?
View Quote
If you’re thinking it will be a better picture, I wouldn’t hold out.  It will likely be less expensive than Triji, and you will also get much worse customer experience with FLIR
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you’re thinking it will be a better picture, I wouldn’t hold out.  It will likely be less expensive than Triji, and you will also get much worse customer experience with FLIR
View Quote
I'm assuming the picture will be pretty identical considering they are both using 12 micron BAE cores. And good point, I know the general consensus is Flir's customer service is lackluster. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with them yet. Some things for consideration for me would be on board recording vs carrying a DVR, Trijicon IR-X battery option vs Anker external battery, customer service, cost, reliability, and warranty. I do like the mkii though and if I had the duckets right now, I don't think there would be a question.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm assuming the picture will be pretty identical considering they are both using 12 micron BAE cores. And good point, I know the general consensus is Flir's customer service is lackluster. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with them yet. Some things for consideration for me would be on board recording vs carrying a DVR, Trijicon IR-X battery option vs Anker external battery, customer service, cost, reliability, and warranty. I do like the mkii though and if I had the duckets right now, I don't think there would be a question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FLIR is using the BOSON core, right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. Sorry guys, typing error. Flir has the Boson. Trijicon has the BAE.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate everyone's help. I ended up ordering that Reap-IR. Can't wait to get it in the field.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I appreciate everyone's help. I ended up ordering that Reap-IR. Can't wait to get it in the field.
View Quote
Very nice.  You'll love it
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks very excited. What are you using for backup sights? Do you have a picture of your setup you would be willing to share?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:32:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks very excited. What are you using for backup sights? Do you have a picture of your setup you would be willing to share?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try and get you a pic soon.  I use KAC micros and Magpul Pros which are both low profile.  I shoot squared up vs heavily bladed, so I need the REAP in the furthest back slot available on the upper for proper eye relief.  I had to put the rear BUIS in the slot where folded down it sits in front of the REAP.

Caveat, I use BUIS on every gun and usually like them in the rearmost position.  If shooting with the stock fully collapsed or bladed, you could probably do it.  I like the stock in position 3 or 4, shoot slightly bladed/squared up, so I run my rear iron in front of the REAP mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top