Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

The Pro is the 2nd Gen Sensor, you can use it unaided down to NL4 (Moonless Starlight in an Open Area, as an example). The Black is 1st Gen and will start crapping out at anything less than a Half Moon in the open (NL2) - so the Pro is about ~twice as good. Your best deals will be catching B&H Photo with a sale, or qualifying for membership at places like Guidefitter, or ExpertVoice...or know someone who is already a member. But people seem to find them in the $7xx range all over, at times - you just have to be on the lookout.

Edit: On their comparison chart, look at the 'Night Vision' line - "Near Moonless Starlight" vs "Moonless Starlight".
View Quote

Thanks, I totally missed that differentiation on their chart.

I just bought one from Dvor for $725 and ended up at $775 with tax.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
This needs to be posted every few pages for new owners. I do not know who the original poster was, but a primer on setting up your Aurora for best results:

SIONYX
Black/Classic/Sport will get grainy, and then need IR, somewhere between 1/4-1/2 Moon level of ambient light (or equivalent man made levels).

Settings that I like for doing everything (Generally, off the top of my head):

EIS - Off

EVF Brightness - Low

EVF Auto Off - Never (but only if worried about someone else seeing you - otherwise it can save some battery).

Night Glow - Grayscale for marginal conditions, Color with a lot of ambient.

Invert Image - For Helmet use

All Sounds - Off

Photo Mode - Auto Shutter if using IR or an IR Illuminator, if not, setting a 1.5 sec shutter can eeek out a bit more performance. 1.5 will blow out with an illuminator though.

Video Mode - Here is where you need to experiment for your use - 360p/7.5fps will get you to lower light levels, but is useless for doing anything other than observing. 720p/30 or 360p/30 for shooting - you need to see if one is better for you - I can't tell a quality difference on the EVF, so I leave it on 360p for any extra performance (but I wear reading glasses, so maybe young eyes can see a difference?). 24fps can eek out a bit more, but to me, motion blur on the EVF is a bit more at 24. Under good ambient/IR, and especially if recording video, 720p/30.

HDR - I never noticed a difference on the Black/Classic/Sport with this setting, but on the Carpe Nocturnum YouTube channel, he does a comparison and there *is* a slight performance edge to it. On the Pro - it makes a HUGE difference, so it's on for me. I'd say try it both On and Off and see if it helps or hurts you.

Electrical Tape the Record light, and the Power On/Charging light near the dial.

Remove the Rubber Eyecup if you need to get it closer- squeeze the sides and pop it off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I do 60fps which allows me to ride a bike in two different color mode bridged on a helmet.

SiOnyx Bike Test Part 2 NO Supplemental IR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KU4zgLDRRo

I'm prone to motion sickness where I cant play any FPS video games or ride roller coaster more than once but I can easily ride a bike with it. That path requires a flashlight to navigate at night.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
This needs to be posted every few pages for new owners. I do not know who the original poster was, but a primer on setting up your Aurora for best results:

View Quote

What about a primer for setting up the Pro version?

I haven't even received mine yet, so I need all the help I can get.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

What about a primer for setting up the Pro version?

I haven't even received mine yet, so I need all the help I can get.
View Quote

Its in there - only diff is definitely turn on HDR. Other than that, all the same. 1:1 is only 2 clicks zoom though, since they changed the lens as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
^^^ thanks ^^^

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question: does the Sionyx require a red dot with NV settings similar to analog NV?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^ thanks ^^^

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question: does the Sionyx require a red dot with NV settings similar to analog NV?
View Quote

no, you can use any red dot without damaging the SiOnyx. And lasers too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#8]
^^^ thanks ^^^

View Quote

It'll depend on the exact Non-NV Settings optic, and how much juice the mfg pumps into setting 1. On some, setting 1 is low enough to not blow out the reticle (PA SLx 1-6 Gen III for example), and it is crisp - on others, the lowest setting is still too bright (Swampfox Tomahawk). Only way to know, is to try it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Now only if viewfinder were actually circular

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ar15Niel:
Now only if viewfinder were actually circular

https://i.imgur.com/JRXXDud.jpg
View Quote

That setup might mess with me a lil bit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#11]

That setup might mess with me a lil bit.
View Quote

No doubt. Neat experiment, but the Lion's gear MACHOS allows collimation, and you get a nice 16:9 perpendicular window. You can also collimate with M24 FLIR Shoes if you do some extra filing on the anti-rotation pins. But again, nice experiment and post - this is how we all figure out how to make stuff work/improve/better, etc... Check out the Somogear PEQ-15 thread
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15Niel] [#12]
Just a joke post. What I really run works perfectly

Monochrome and pvs14 works perfectly bridged.

I'll assume thermal would too once I buy one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a joke post. What I really run works perfectly

I'll assume thermal would too once I buy one.
View Quote

LOL! - Gotcha!

I had the same setup with the 'SOCox' Bridge and two Pro's - lot of capability for the price. When I got BNVD-SGs, I put an MH25 in place of one of the Auroras, and use the other as a handheld. HMT is definitely a try *a lot* before making a verdict - I went from "this is gonna be awesome" to "this isn't as good as I thought" to "Nah, this is actually *almost* as good as I thought" - I'm lucky that my brain merges the images though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]

I went SOTAC / HM  L4G24, SOTAC Wilcox Replica Bridge, and M24 FLIR Shoes. Articulation is nice to have. The Lion's Gear also articulates, and you don't need the FLIR Shoes for it, but I never used his newer MACHOS, as I already had the Wilcox bridge. These are not the "Budget" options though. I have an HHV Ballistic, and two PTS MTEK's.

https://i.imgur.com/MT3aOMA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6WAIGOR.jpg
View Quote

So, I just mimic'd your setup and I'm finding that the NVG's are way too low even with max adjustment. Just curious if you had the same problem and what the fix was. Or any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#15]
Originally Posted By RoosterX19:

So, I just mimic'd your setup and I'm finding that the NVG's are way too low even with max adjustment. Just curious if you had the same problem and what the fix was. Or any suggestions?
View Quote

Assuming you have a height adjustable mount (RHINO II or Real/Clone Wilcox) - How much counterweight are you running? Put everything on the helmet and deploy the devices like you are wearing it, and then balance the helmet on your index finger or broom handle at TOP DEAD CENTER. It needs to sit level. Add weight to the back until it does. My HMT setup needs 18oz plus an Anker 15K (which really weighs almost nothing, itself). When I had Dual Pro's, I think it was about 20oz.

If under-weighted, it dips forward, and you then need to raise the mount to compensate - you can run out of room without proper counter-weighting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I got to play with the newest version at a swat conference recently. Not sure if it’s been covered in this thread, but their new purpose built helmet mount version is amazing. Should be available Q3 this year. I’m waiting on a T&E delivery soon. Way smaller, better sensor, big view finder, external battery pack. Super cool
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By new_frontier13:
I got to play with the newest version at a swat conference recently. Not sure if it’s been covered in this thread, but their new purpose built helmet mount version is amazing. Should be available Q3 this year. I’m waiting on a T&E delivery soon. Way smaller, better sensor, big view finder, external battery pack. Super cool
View Quote

How'd you get the pleasure to T&E it.

Questions:
1. Does the battery pack wire get in the way when flipping it up against helmet ?
2. Any mention of ability to use wilcox dovetail to use on an aftermarket bridge ?
3. Hows the weight ?
4. Any mention of bino/dual ? I'm sure its planned
5. Any plans of price change ? At $2,500 I still think I'll go with analog.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Yeah, The OPSIN is pretty sweet. Unfortunately, they made it too proprietary and limiting for most advanced users. And if they can't get the "street" price low enough (GuideFitter, ExpertVoice, Killer B&H price, etc...) it's just too damn close to a PVS14. Digital has its advantages for certain things (built in GPS, Compass, Color Image, Pics/Video, Remote Viewing, ATAC-Like Positioning On-Screen, etc...) - but it'll still be very niche if it's not hundredzzzz cheaper than a 14. I've owned every one, but I'm skipping this one - No Dovetail mounting ability is a deal killer for me. No "Duals" ability will kill it for others. We'll see - but hell yes I'm glad they made it...that's how stuff advances and gets cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I think NV of the future will be digital, but the -14 remains the standard. To compete, digital is going to have to be a) better, or b) cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#20]

How'd you get the pleasure to T&E it.

Questions:
1. Does the battery pack wire get in the way when flipping it up against helmet ?
2. Any mention of ability to use wilcox dovetail to use on an aftermarket bridge ?
3. Hows the weight ?
4. Any mention of bino/dual ? I'm sure its planned
5. Any plans of price change ? At $2,500 I still think I'll go with analog.
View Quote

1. No
2. The one I used was on a Wilcox if I remember corrrectly (swat conferences are drinking marathons)
3. Less than PVS14 (in hand estimate)
4. I don’t see any reason you couldn’t
5. These are definitely priced for pro-users and .gov purchases where performance is the priority over cost.

Regardless of cost, the ability of this system to work in a wider range of lighting conditions while (potentially) acting as a recording device is a huge plus. I’ve been using my sports to identify security cameras for over a while now. For our purposes, a digital system has the potential to provide better performance. Think unlit/ shaded back yard, we’ll lit street and unlit structure interior from the same POV.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless they changed it since I was in contact with Sionyx, it does not have the ability to accept a Dovetail, nor the ability to run as Binos (A. No Dovetail, and B. No internal battery or ability to run off USB...or two connections on the OEM battery pack.) Again, maybe it's changed?
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Unless they changed it since I was in contact with Sionyx, it does not have the ability to accept a Dovetail, nor the ability to run as Binos (A. No Dovetail, and B. No internal battery or ability to run off USB...or two connections on the OEM battery pack.) Again, maybe it's changed?
View Quote

Maybe it was the bourbons but I remember a dovetail mount being used. I remember borrowing a Wilcox mount to attach it to a helmet at the vendor show. Maybe I’m mistaken. I’ll dig through the pics I took
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Maybe it was the bourbons but I remember a dovetail mount being used. I remember borrowing a Wilcox mount to attach it to a helmet at the vendor show. Maybe I’m mistaken. I’ll dig through the pics I took
View Quote

Maybe youre thinking of the sionyx proprietary bridge accepting into a g24 mount.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#24]

Maybe youre thinking of the sionyx proprietary bridge accepting into a g24 mount.
View Quote

Bingo. Yes, it clips into a standard Mount, but the device itself can't accept a Dovetail Shoe, to run HMT or as Duals on Wilcox/KAC Bridge.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Bingo. Yes, it clips into a standard Mount, but the device itself can't accept a Dovetail Shoe, to run HMT or as Duals on Wilcox/KAC Bridge.
View Quote

That sounds right. To be honest, I was really paying attention to the size, clarity and performance. I’ll have to play with it more, but im leaning towards it over a pvs14 for personal purchase. Being able to transition from dark to well let without manipulating my NOD and being able to see IR lasers in the day light is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]

That sounds right. To be honest, I was really paying attention to the size, clarity and performance. I’ll have to play with it more, but im leaning towards it over a pvs14 for personal purchase. Being able to transition from dark to well let without manipulating my NOD and being able to see IR lasers in the day light is pretty sweet.
View Quote

You'll get no gripes from me my friend - I transitioned from Dual Pro's to BNVD-SGs only because I had a windfall. But I'm keeping both Pro's because of the performance per dollar. If they fix the OPSIN "proprietary-ness" in the next release, I'll probably grab one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:13:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#27]

Assuming you have a height adjustable mount (RHINO II or Real/Clone Wilcox) - How much counterweight are you running? Put everything on the helmet and deploy the devices like you are wearing it, and then balance the helmet on your index finger or broom handle at TOP DEAD CENTER. It needs to sit level. Add weight to the back until it does. My HMT setup needs 18oz plus an Anker 15K (which really weighs almost nothing, itself). When I had Dual Pro's, I think it was about 20oz.

If under-weighted, it dips forward, and you then need to raise the mount to compensate - you can run out of room without proper counter-weighting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have a Anker 20k and some chem lights right now. I'll load it up and see if it balances out. I also have another bump helmet I can check. And yeah its a Wilcox clone

gratuitous cheese pic. Sorry, just got into 3D printing...

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#28]
Firmware version 1.34 is available for the Pro (since 12th April) - does anyone know what changes/improvements it makes?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#29]

I have a Anker 20k and some chem lights right now. I'll load it up and see if it balances out. I also have another bump helmet I can check. And yeah its a Wilcox clone

View Quote

That's hardly any weight, your unbalanced - 99.9% that's your problem. Bump Helmets require more weight, so balance on finger/stick for both.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
Firmware version 1.34 is available for the Pro (since 12th April) - does anyone know what changes/improvements it makes?
View Quote

Unfortunately, they never list the fixes anywhere. We've emailed in the past, and got some BS "proprietary info" reply.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Unfortunately, they never list the fixes anywhere. We've emailed in the past, and got some BS "proprietary info" reply.
View Quote

@mickdonaldson Thanks, I had a bit of a dig and couldn't find anything - can't see anything obvious.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Their customer service could definitely improve. Thats another reason why I wont get Opsin just yet. I'll wait until every bug is cleared out and every wrinkle ironed out. And also like you've mentioned the proprietary aspect. But lets see. Maybe aftermarket parts can be applied to solve some problems. Maybe some 3D printing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#33]
The other night saw the Aurora being used on the skinwalker ranch show on history channel. Moving up into the big time lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#35]
https://i.imgur.com/nzEWuG9.jpg
View Quote

HDR has always been a big performance enhancer on the Pro (versus on the Gen 1 units, where it didn't do much) since launch - are you seeing any other differences? I love your mash-up pics BTW, you got skillz
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hallway_monitor] [#36]
https://i.imgur.com/nzEWuG9.jpg
View Quote

Is there a difference in version 1.34? I see it was last modified by Bobrowski in April, but the one on their website from September is also labeled 1.34..

Links to both 1.34:
September
April
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By hallway_monitor:

Is there a difference in version 1.34? I see it was last modified by Bobrowski in April, but the one on their website from September is also labeled 1.34..

View All Quotes

The SHA-1 File Hashes are identical - same file:

4FEE0F3252DD322C054DE452186C7506978653A7
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#38]
@mickdonaldson

TBH - I'm not sure.  I picked up the change when I logged on to the app and noticed I had version 1.32, so I updated to 1.34.  When I checked initially I couldn't see any obvious differences.  

The photo mash-up, top row is with the original firmware that came with the Pro 2 years ago (I have updated the firmware several times since then).  The bottom row is with the current firmware (1.34) and there is a small but real difference - I think HDR on is part of that, although not all of that, the images just look a lot brighter, cleaner and crisper.  

There seemed to be a big change between 30fps (1/30th s) and 60 fps (1/60th s) - almost a step change with 30fps providing a very useable image whilst at 60fps there was "heavy snow" you typically see as the Pro is on the point of failure (see below).  

The other possibility is there a bit more of the non-visible spectrum reflected off the cloud layer - leading to brighter images, although at 60fps its clear the pro is approaching its sharp threshold and the photos were taken in at least two layer canopy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I have an older sport, probably near the original release. I never checked, but have they ever upgraded firmware that I can install? Any worth / improvement to it? @ me if you have info please :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:12:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#40]
Link to update portal for all SiOnyx products

There are updates around end 2021.

@borscht
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

We speak the same language, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#42]

We speak the same language, thanks!
View Quote

LOL! I was running PGP 6.5.8 CKT back when Janet Reno was trying to put Phil Zimmerman in Jail! "Thought you were just a cook?"... "I also cook" - Casey Ryback  
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#43]
So requesting an update here guys.  Haven't been following this thread for awhile.  What is the consensus, if you would try to put together a new system, using this unit, in whatever version, with a SG PEQ-15, as an alternative to a -14 and ATPIAL?  How close are we? It would seem that what was once considered toys are rapidly evolving into something else.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Diz:
So requesting an update here guys.  Haven't been following this thread for awhile.  What is the consensus, if you would try to put together a new system, using this unit, in whatever version, with a SG PEQ-15, as an alternative to a -14 and ATPIAL?  How close are we? It would seem that what was once considered toys are rapidly evolving into something else.
View Quote

Broseph, I've walked, run, navigated, drove, and shot with Aurora Pro Binos - the latter next to ~20 other guys on this board under rural, moonless/full clouds, about 100 miles from Cleveland (nearest major city). As long as your environmental's are NL4 or better - it's a hell of a bang for buck option. NL4 is pretty dark.

It's all on the NL - full moon in a field could be NL5 stepping into a triple canopy swamp - all depends on your typical/most encountered conditions.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

An Aurora- Sport, Black or Original, will do what a -14 will do for 90% of the population. The Pro will do what 95% of the population wants from an NVD.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#46]
For those with helmet mounts, what battery holder are you using? I have what I think is the preferred Anker PowerCore 20000, and its way bigger than the counterweight pouch I bought.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#47]
This has been one great thread. I doubt I'll find another that makes me look backward 115 pages to see who started it. Thanks to all who posted. I learned a great deal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Skinnywater:
For those with helmet mounts, what battery holder are you using? I have what I think is the preferred Anker PowerCore 20000, and its way bigger than the counterweight pouch I bought.

Thanks
View Quote

If you are looking to fit it in a pouch, the 13K or 15K is/was the preferred pack. Unfortunately, at last check, the 15K was no longer available, but maybe the 13K still is? You could also go with two x 10Ks, but you'd have to manipulate two buttons. You want the "Trickle Charge" function (like for charging Earbuds) - the Aurora doesn't draw a ton of current, and the battery can shut off if it doesn't have that feature.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:50:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skinnywater] [#49]
I picked up the battery and pouch that is shown in  the description of kiloohm's video. Im wondering if the mfg changed sizing or something.

Further investigation shows the battery pack is the same size as a Samsung Galaxy 10 phone with an Otterbox case. I may have to get a phone pouch and engineer a solution.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#50]

An Aurora- Sport, Black or Original, will do what a -14 will do for 90% of the population. The Pro will do what 95% of the population wants from an NVD.
View All Quotes

We really need a sticky answering the basic questions like these.

How does it compare to “X”
What is the best applications
Best mounts
Realistic range
Detail with different conditions etc…
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top