BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Z7Z2HSL?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

That switch does work.  I am pretty sure the guts could be taken out with snapring pliers and put into the Uniquefire switch assembly, making it an even more universal option.  The threaded retaining ring inside the Uniquefire is the same threads as the body on the Fandyfire.
View Quote

Nice work!
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Milspec99:
Looking for the cliff notes on this long thread.  Are these Sionyx units legit or are they junk?

Are they worth mounting to a helmet?  It seems like they are more geared towards airsoft etc.
View Quote

Legit down to NL4, any darker and you'll need IR. This was with real bullets:

OHNVG 2020
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Milspec99:
Looking for the cliff notes on this long thread.  Are these Sionyx units legit or are they junk?

Are they worth mounting to a helmet?  It seems like they are more geared towards airsoft etc.
View Quote

As gaspain stated, there probably would not be a 100+ page thread if this was just cheap airsoft junk.
Are they junk? No, they are actually rather functional. Not analog 3G results, but they are also a lot less expensive. If you are going into this thinking they are on that level then you will be disappointed.
Are they worth mounting to a helmet? Many here say yes. As either a mono or dual rig they seem to do well in that role, again if you keep their performance and limits in mind.
Geared towards airsoft? I don't think so, although there are certainly some users that get them for that.
It's digital NV. It has reasonably good performance down to NL3 and even NL4 relative to the cost. You aren't going to be able to have all the same capabilities as analog 3G. It does have reasonable dust/water resiliency. There is a good (and growing) aftermarket support that will let you helmet mount them with a lot of peripherals if you want them. You can get into it as a handheld or with a simple weapon mount and a low cost IR light. Or you can go whole hog and set up duals with a ton of helmet-mounted IR strobes, lights, and use your DBAL and whatever on your rifle. It's up to you.
This is really simplified and condensed. There is a ton of info and experience in the whole thread. If you really want to look into it honestly then it would probably be good to read through the whole thing. You could get up to speed on the most current info by going back to about page 90 and reading up from there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#4]

I think I'm just about done.

2X Aurora PRo's
Kilohm bridge
PVS-14 eye cups
DLP Tactical ImpaX bump helmet
Anker Portable Charger, PowerCore Essential 20000mAh Power Bank with PowerIQ
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RoosterX19:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480444/255966879_245116757684743_79245518512837-2170815.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480444/256631579_314170486950201_15285417918419-2170816.jpg

2X Aurora PRo's
Kilohm bridge
PVS-14 eye cups
View Quote

How do you like it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Any thoughts on the 20% sale plus illuminator promotion?  Eurooptic sent the email, but a general search shows it on the company site too.

The only difference between the ...300 and ...500 seems to be field of view, other than price.   There must be something else to differentiate these

I already have proper PVS14 from TNVC. with helmet mount.   And a FLIR scout handheld.   But nothing rail-mounted.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By XJ:
Any thoughts on the 20% sale plus illuminator promotion?  Eurooptic sent the email, but a general search shows it on the company site too.

The only difference between the ...300 and ...500 seems to be field of view, other than price.   There must be something else to differentiate these

I already have proper PVS14 from TNVC. with helmet mount.   And a FLIR scout handheld.   But nothing rail-mounted.
View Quote

If you fo, use the Sionyx website. You'll get the illuminator at the same time (no rebate form or waiting), plus they don't collect sales tax (in Oklahoma, at least).
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TimJ:

IMO it is the best option short of spending $3k plus on a PVS14. I've used both side by side....

I am not the Sionyx expert some here are but they work best for me with IR illumination.  Under dark skies without artificial light they pale in comparison to a PVS-14.

OTOH if you aren't going up against a Tier 1 army equipped with good night vision it's great. I have 2, so I do like the Sionyx, a lot.
View Quote

I feel like my sport is basically worthless without IR illumination.  I feel like it's only slightly better then the naked eye with out the extra IR. My Super Hogster gets here Sunday....
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Doodles:

How do you like it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480444/255966879_245116757684743_79245518512837-2170815.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480444/256631579_314170486950201_15285417918419-2170816.jpg

2X Aurora PRo's
Kilohm bridge
PVS-14 eye cups

How do you like it?

Which part? The helmet? it sits much better than the short bump I was using before. However, it still sits too high on my head even though I removed most of the padding and bought a mem foam set up. I guess it's just my big melon. The Pro's? love them but need to do some more optical adjustments for stereo focus. The Anker 20k trickle charges both Pro's with no issue and lasts a VERY long time.

*In for making this thread a sticky... ;)
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:

I feel like my sport is basically worthless without IR illumination.  I feel like it's only slightly better then the naked eye with out the extra IR. My Super Hogster gets here Sunday....
View Quote

OG. Sport, and Black with the Gen 1 Sensor, can only handle down to about 1/2 Moon without IR help (open terrain). But they do work well if you meet that minnimum.

Here's one with Sky Glow from a Full Moon that hadn't broken the horizon yet:

And here's one (out of focus) at 55% Moon:

Any darker than ^, and you'd start to get the static on the screen - and that could mean stepping into the woodline, etc...  Don't know that I'd say they're "slightly" better than the naked eye - but opinions differ.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

OG. Sport, and Black with the Gen 1 Sensor, can only handle down to about 1/2 Moon without IR help (open terrain). But they do work well if you meet that minnimum.

Here's one with Sky Glow from a Full Moon that hadn't broken the horizon yet:

https://i.imgur.com/MHPJWeX.jpg

And here's one (out of focus) at 55% Moon:

https://i.imgur.com/m42j0gs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sdPMert.jpg

Any darker than ^, and you'd start to get the static on the screen - and that could mean stepping into the woodline, etc...  Don't know that I'd say they're "slightly" better than the naked eye - but opinions differ.
View Quote

Hey, what app is that?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Hey, what app is that?
View Quote

Moon Phase Calendar by Probadosoft
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody have a link for the Sordin or similar ear pro mounts for an MLOK rail as on the MTEK/Outry helmets? All I've seen have been for the ARC rails.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
Anybody have a link for the Sordin or similar ear pro mounts for an MLOK rail as on the MTEK/Outry helmets? All I've seen have been for the ARC rails.
View Quote

also I'm interested in that. And if it doesn't exist, I can make them possibly. What ear pro's would most people want to use?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doodles] [#16]
View Quote

Option 1 HHV

HHV: The Rail Adapter Kit will work with most rail types such as Ops-Core ARC rails or M-LOK type rails. They allow the user to seamlessly integrate hearing protection headsets or communications systems (headset guide) directly onto helmet rails.

HHV: SORDIN/LIBERATOR ADAPTERS

Option 2 Unity Tactical

MARK 2.0 Modular Attach Rail Kit

MARK 2.0 Modular Attach Rail Kit M-LOK™ Adapter Kit

Option 3 AXL

RAC Link Kit

Unity Tactical Platform Adapter

I've tried them all on my HHV helmet. Each has their pluses and minuses. Cost, weight etc. I personally settled on the RAC-link.

My ranking would be option 3, 2, 1. YMMV

ETA Also with Sordins depending on which type (head or neck) the mount pins may need to be changed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:14:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#17]

Option 1 HHV

HHV: The Rail Adapter Kit will work with most rail types such as Ops-Core ARC rails or M-LOK type rails. They allow the user to seamlessly integrate hearing protection headsets or communications systems (headset guide) directly onto helmet rails.

HHV: SORDIN/LIBERATOR ADAPTERS

Option 2 Unity Tactical

MARK 2.0 Modular Attach Rail Kit

MARK 2.0 Modular Attach Rail Kit M-LOK™ Adapter Kit

Option 3 AXL

RAC Link Kit

Unity Tactical Platform Adapter

I've tried them all on my HHV helmet. Each has their pluses and minuses. Cost, weight etc. I personally settled on the RAC-link.

My ranking would be option 3, 2, 1. YMMV

ETA Also with Sordins depending on which type (head or neck) the mount pins may need to be changed.
View Quote

@Doodles thank you sir. That works.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#18]
thanks Doodles!
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 10:42:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Doodles] [#19]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
thanks Doodles!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gaspain:
thanks Doodles!

@Doodles thank you sir. That works.

No problem. Happy to help.

With the Sordins be aware that the studs may need to be changed. Not a big deal but just letting you know so there are no surprises.
SARA Sordin Adapters

Iron Forged Concepts - SARA Installation Tutorial

Which kit is best really depends on your specific helmet rail geometry.

I had a devil of a time trying to find one that worked for me. The HHV M-lok slots sit lower than other helmets.

So I either had too much pressure on my head or not enough depending on which slot I used. I think The Unity Tactical is the best compromise overall between cost and function.
But the RAC-link is the cats meow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't know how long its been available, but my Pros prompted for new Firmware when I was downloading some pics of an optic reticle, for some guys in the PA SLx Micro 1x Optic Thread. No idea what changed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea, you'll notice that the onboard capture always looks worse than what you are seeing (with video being a bit better than stills, as seen above) in marginal conditions. Camera nerds can probably say why that is - probably has something to do with looking at the media on a 2"x1" screen vs a 15" Laptop or 55" TV screen, LOL. I've found the best way to try to relay what you are seeing - is the old school "camera up to the view finder" trick.
View Quote
I believe we figured this out way back at the beginning of the thread. The view finder produces a higher resolution than the camera is capable of taking in a photo. Does that sound right?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
I believe we figured this out way back at the beginning of the thread. The view finder produces a higher resolution than the camera is capable of taking in a photo. Does that sound right?
View Quote

Probably - 1280x720 and 1024x768 are so close, but the PPI (pixels per inch) on the EVF must be insane. It's just weird how if you take two pics in the same dark area, one with IR and one without - the IR pic will look amazing, but the other will be this giant, pixeled, mess (I would expect it to just be darker)....even though the EVF image looked great. Although... If you do a manual 1.5 second shutter, the pixels go away. Gotta be something about the Auto Shutter in marginal conditions.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Any whispers of a next generation coming anytime soon?
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:57:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#24]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TimJ:

IMO it is the best option short of spending $3k plus on a PVS14. I've used both side by side....

I am not the Sionyx expert some here are but they work best for me with IR illumination.  Under dark skies without artificial light they pale in comparison to a PVS-14.

OTOH if you aren't going up against a Tier 1 army equipped with good night vision it's great. I have 2, so I do like the Sionyx, a lot.

There's really not a comparison between a PVS14 and a Sionyx. Of course the 14 is going to be better- a lot better- but most people don't have $3k to plunk down for one. This makes the Sionyx a viable alternative. That being said, the above comment is correct. Having had a Black and stepping up to a Pro, I would recommend new buyers get a Pro from the start, especially now that there are different sales and places to get them at $750-800.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:
Any whispers of a next generation coming anytime soon?
View Quote

Not next gen but wet your whistle on this. We need to gofundme pool our resources together and find out what Nick's sweet-tooth is, to satisfy it enough, so he can devote some time to Henry Ford custom make these for us poor-er folks to enjoy, if not this Christmas, the next.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/09/25/friday-night-lights-diy-modified-aurora-digital-thermal-fusion/
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ar15city:

Not next gen but wet your whistle on this. We need to gofundme pool our resources together and find out what Nick's sweet-tooth is, to satisfy it enough, so he can devote some time to Henry Ford custom make these for us poor-er folks to enjoy, if not this Christmas, the next.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/09/25/friday-night-lights-diy-modified-aurora-digital-thermal-fusion/
View Quote

That’s damn cool, but would definitely take some getting used to it with so much data coming through at once.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#27]
Remember, you have zero environmental protection after the mod.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Nice work!
View All Quotes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Z7Z2HSL?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

That switch does work.  I am pretty sure the guts could be taken out with snapring pliers and put into the Uniquefire switch assembly, making it an even more universal option.  The threaded retaining ring inside the Uniquefire is the same threads as the body on the Fandyfire.

Nice work!

This looks nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BL25JWP?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#29]

This looks nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BL25JWP?tag=arfcom00-20
View Quote

Cool. Be fun to experiment with. If the Fandy can take 5.56 recoil, and the head doesn't move (or it's on a .22) could be a budget option.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Some people were asking about an STL for a bridge. I don't have a host for it to share, but I've printed it out and it works perfectly. I used PETG, bronze color and at 100% sizing. A Wilco dovetail PVS18, and a clone dovetail helmet mount. Three bolt base and a low offset mounted Surefire M1 IR I found in a pawn shop for $50.

If someone has hosting available for everyone, I can send the file to share.

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey all got a ? For ya: I have a gen 3 pvs14 but I dont want to use it for airsoft anymore. Looking at getting a aurora set bino setup strictly for walking around and won't be mounted to a weapon ever. I also have an IR light mounted to my helmet already a surefire m1, would the base aurora be good or should I just.spend a little more and get the pro ?
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By firemed13:
Hey all got a ? For ya: I have a gen 3 pvs14 but I dont want to use it for airsoft anymore. Looking at getting a aurora set bino setup strictly for walking around and won't be mounted to a weapon ever. I also have an IR light mounted to my helmet already a surefire m1, would the base aurora be good or should I just.spend a little more and get the pro ?
View Quote

If you're planning on using supplemental IR or will be in an environment that has ambient or artificial lighting, you'll be fine with Sports or Blacks. If you think you might want to be somewhat passive or without ambient light, go with Pros.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's another one I modified

https://youtube.com/shorts/0ZYEwYra_Ws
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

If you play against anyone else with Night Vision, I would get the Pro - so you won't need to beacon yourself until you get below NL4. I don't know what the current price differences are, but I guarantee you will be in more environments that will require IR with the Black/Classic/Sport, then you would think - especially in structures, or any type of "woods" while leaves are still on trees. Find a way to order from ExpertVoice (if not you, find a friend that qualifies for membership) and they are $750.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Or order from Sionyx for $800 and get an IR illuminator for free.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]

If you play against anyone else with Night Vision, I would get the Pro - so you won't need to beacon yourself until you get below NL4. I don't know what the current price differences are, but I guarantee you will be in more environments that will require IR with the Black/Classic/Sport, then you would think - especially in structures, or any type of "woods" while leaves are still on trees. Find a way to order from ExpertVoice (if not you, find a friend that qualifies for membership) and they are $750.
View Quote

Got on it and will probably be getting the pro and start building the bino. Thanks for the insight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Why do some folks buy bridged digital nv instead of a used pvs7?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#38]
Oops
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SnazSleepWalker:
Why do some folks buy bridged digital nv instead of a used pvs7?  Serious question.
View Quote

7's suck for shooting, being a cyclops you cannot use a rifle. Also, 7's are terrible for movement as false stereo vision will have you tripping over objects.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Well boys, I've got a pro on the way.  

B&H has the pro for $699
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Current setup

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I was seriously tempted with buying the discounted pro,  but I really need digital to make at least 1 more step forward. As far as digitals go, I think the pro is as good as it gets but I still need it closer to Gen 3 analog performance. I wonder what sionyx has up their sleeve for the future.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By GrassHog:
Well boys, I've got a pro on the way.  

B&H has the pro for $699
View Quote

Damn! $699! Nice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#44]
In looking to set up bino aurora I currently have a rhino 2 but with a bayonet type attachment (for A single pvs14 with a j arm) is there a way to still use this with the dove tail mounts ? Looking at the kilo ohm set up currently. Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#45]
In looking to set up bino aurora I currently have a rhino 2 but with a bayonet type attachment (for A single pvs14 with a j arm) is there a way to still use this with the dove tail mounts ? Looking at the kilo ohm set up currently. Thanks again
View Quote

You need the AKA2 Dovetail Adapter Plate, to replace the Bayonet plate. TNVC or Own The Night are where most of us got it from.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#46]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
I was seriously tempted with buying the discounted pro,  but I really need digital to make at least 1 more step forward. As far as digitals go, I think the pro is as good as it gets but I still need it closer to Gen 3 analog performance. I wonder what sionyx has up their sleeve for the future.
View Quote

Suit yourself, but at $700 you're getting an incredible value (what you get for what you pay). No it's not a PVS-14, but you're getting 75% of Gen3 NV capability for 25% of the price, with none of the disadvantages.

With all these sales, I suspect Sionyx might be coming out with a Gen 2 in 2022, but I doubt it will be $1k. I'd bet more like $1500.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
View Quote

I have used a pvs14 gen 3 along with digital and thermal weapon mounted scopes,. I know I am not getting gen 3 performance but I am also not paying gen 3 prices for me its adapting to a certain role with the aurora. I could spend a lot more but for me these will do exactly what I need and if some ass hat flashes me with his high lumen light on purpose I won't have to worry about what kinda money its going to take to fix em. Also I have gone from darkness in a wooded area.into a structure with lights on and with these I don't have to worry about shutting off the binos. I can completely see your point but for me these will do just fine and I already have most of the extra equipment needed to make these work. Also I guess one other reason is the ability to record with these is also kinda cool but I felt exactly as.you did until I really.sat back and looked at.why I am getting these, plus these are not for real door kickers.or anything I would depend on my life or someone else's for that I would not compromise and get gen 3 with WP thin filmed binos from tnvc or another reputable vendor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Damn! $699! Nice.
View Quote

incredible value
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#49]
It's been awhile since I've updated firmware but I think I'm going to update mine today. Can somebody recap some of the features and things I should know from versions released within the last year or so?

Thanks

Hunt from 12/12/21

This video was longer as the boar was running with another sounder in the woods but you couldn't really hear it on the video, so I cut it down.  This boar is part of a sounder that started as 5, I think there's only 1 left now.
Hog Hunting w/ SiOnyx Aurora

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#50]
got a new IR illuminator I will be playing with. Will post some video soon. Looks like it's a good one at first glance. Armasight (FLIR) XLR-IR850

Attachment Attached File
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top