Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2018 7:37:12 AM EDT
Thoughts on these thermals.

I am looking for a thermal scope in the 4-5K range.  Suggestions on other options?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#1]
There’s lots of really great choices in the 4-5k range.  Those would probably be at the bottom of the pile.  Unless you wanted the high native mag of the 736 .  At 5k , your approaching trijicon territory..... I noticed your in TX , so I’ll make you the same offer I usually do.  Come see this stuff for yourself. I’ve got a pile of it. Hunt with us for a night.  Nows the best time. Humidity is way up , there will never be worse conditions.  If you’re happy with it when it at it’s worst, you’ll be really happy during the cooler months .  Offer is open, give me a shout if you’re interested
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There’s lots of really great choices in the 4-5k range.  Those would probably be at the bottom of the pile.  Unless you wanted the high native mag of the 736 .  At 5k , your approaching trijicon territory..... I noticed your in TX , so I’ll make you the same offer I usually do.  Come see this stuff for yourself. I’ve got a pile of it. Hunt with us for a night.  Nows the best time. Humidity is way up , there will never be worse conditions.  If you’re happy with it when it at it’s worst, you’ll be really happy during the cooler months .  Offer is open, give me a shout if you’re interested
View Quote
Humidity...lol. I’m in West, TX.

Where are you at.  East, TX or Valley?

I’m open to travel.  What Trijicon models do you suggest?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
We’re on western edge of east TX.

Any of the trijicon stuff is awesome, just depends on if you like knobs or a joystick for the operating system . Pulsar very good too . The armasight ZEUS is good, but is kind of in the middle in no mans land in my opinion. The upper end cost just as much as trijicon, but image not quite as good. Maybe slightly better image than pulsar, but doesn’t have all the same handy features. You’re gonna have wires strung everywhere for external battery, and dvr, if you’re into recording.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We’re on western edge of east TX.

Any of the trijicon stuff is awesome, just depends on if you like knobs or a joystick for the operating system . Pulsar very good too . The armasight ZEUS is good, but is kind of in the middle in no mans land in my opinion. The upper end cost just as much as trijicon, but image not quite as good. Maybe slightly better image than pulsar, but doesn’t have all the same handy features. You’re gonna have wires strung everywhere for external battery, and dvr, if you’re into recording.
View Quote
Nacadoches west or Lufkin west?

Thanks for info

Does Trijicon record to SD card or do you have to record to cable/monitor
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Trijicon would have to have wires/dvr.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
A 75mm hd Flir zeus is what $3k cheaper than a mk3 60mm and $2k cheaper than a 35mm Reap?    That’s significant.   The Reap is not $2k better than a 3x 75mm zeus.  I have both and shoot with the Zeus every time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I would agree with the above statement.  The armasight 75 and the mk2 35 are roughly same price, depending on who you buy them from. Trijicon is more expensive of the two. My observation is trijicon provides better image.  Is it worth the money? Up to you. I think if a guy was gonna compare the mk3 60 to an armasight, it would be to the 100. Native mag closer to the same . Again, trijicon is higher priced of the two. Worth the extra? Up to buyer. No disrespect to armasight intended, just stating my opinion.

Side note for trijicon...... I’ve got a reap, and a couple mk2s .  Every dealer out there will tell you reap has “special” lens that provides better image. If there’s a difference, I can’t really tell a whole lot.  Damn sure not 2k worth .  But it is a whole lot lighter /compact
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am looking for a thermal scope in the 4-5K range.  Suggestions on other options?
View Quote
Look hard at the Trail XP50. From the right dealer it comes with a free DLOC mount which means you can use it as a scanner and then slap it on the gun with no concern about losing your zero.  Idk how much thermal hunting experience you have—based on your post I will assume not much—so just know that 90% of thermal hunting is scanning, and 10% is shooting.  And holding a rifle up to my face all night is not my idea of a good time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Look hard at the Trail XP50. From the right dealer it comes with a free DLOC mount which means you can use it as a scanner and then slap it on the gun with no concern about losing your zero.  Idk how much thermal hunting experience you have—based on your post I will assume not much—so just know that 90% of thermal hunting is scanning, and 10% is shooting.  And holding a rifle up to my face all night is not my idea of a good time.
View Quote
Yeah but slapping a scanner onto a rifle every time you see a sounder is also not a good time.  I tried it for the hell of it with a Reap and it sucked in the field.   In a blind I can maybe see it but chasing 4-5 sounders a night plus yotes and single boars it sucks imo.  Let’s just face it you need two optics.   The trail or Reap with a dloc can be either but it’s not close to ideal if that’s all you have.  Now a trail or Reap with a cheap used hd19 or 38 and your really gtg.  It’s a barrel of monkeys bc if you hunt enough you end up wanting a 640 scanner with at least 35mm glass so you’re not constantly picking up and  id’ing with your rifle.  Good luck op.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah but slapping a scanner onto a rifle every time you see a sounder is also not a good time.  I tried it for the hell of it with a Reap and it sucked in the field.   In a blind I can maybe see it but chasing 4-5 sounders a night plus yotes and single boars it sucks imo.  Let’s just face it you need two optics.   The trail or Reap with a dloc can be either but it’s not close to ideal if that’s all you have.  Now a trail or Reap with a cheap used hd19 or 38 and your really gtg.  It’s a barrel of monkeys bc if you hunt enough you end up wanting a 640 scanner with at least 35mm glass so you’re not constantly picking up and  id’ing with your rifle.  Good luck op.
View Quote
I have run a HD19A, XD19, Helion XP28, the former two being helmet mounted even, and they are all gone.  Just don't need them.  It doesn't take me any longer to snap the DLOC back onto my rifle than it does to safely stow a monocular. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
You're right a separate scanner is always better.

For me while I was accumulating gear I just used my rifle to scan with until I had a better way to do it.

I don't like having to use one device for both jobs and swapping around in the field.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I lived in TX's and was looking for a thermal, I'd be all over that invitation.
I'm on a waiting list for a PTS536, as the 736 has too much magnification and the 233 has too little, and no focus.
It'll be a big upgrade for me, as I'm still using my PAS19 and Elcan specter.
I also use thermal monocular's for spotting.
In the woods and fields where I hunt in the north east, thermal lets me see whats moving around.
I might not be able to shoot, but at least I know somethings out there.
With a $4-5K budget, you have a lot of options, but I would go with a $3.5k thermal scope and a thermal monocular.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#13]
To the guy from ny, get a plane ticket and come down.  Be glad to have you.  Never had anybody from there. Offers open
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To the guy from ny, get a plane ticket and come down.  Be glad to have you.  Never had anybody from there. Offers open
View Quote
How far are you from Eastern Ne?  I normally come down once or twice a year to hog hunt with a buddy, we've been looking to get into thermal but almost no one here have anything to compare and contrast.  From the groups on fb I belong to it looks to be tons of fun.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#15]
12-13 hrs drive time to grand isle ne.  That’s the best landmark I can give you for your state.  There’s also a nonstop from that airport to dfw every day .  It’s like 250$  We’re 120 miles south of dfw

It is lots of fun . Especially inside 40 yds .....
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
12-13 hrs drive time to grand isle ne.  That’s the best landmark I can give you for your state.  There’s also a nonstop from that airport to dfw every day .  It’s like 250$  We’re 120 miles south of dfw

It is lots of fun . Especially inside 40 yds .....
View Quote
Ok, I'm actually just North of Lincoln.  I think it takes 11 hours to Byers from here so 13 would be about right.  I used to have a buddy in waco.  This has got me thinking.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Waco hr and half-ish straight west of us
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Waco hr and half-ish straight west of us
View Quote
I've actually only held one, an IR patrol but didn't have time to mess with it.  I'll keep that in mind, if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have run a HD19A, XD19, Helion XP28, the former two being helmet mounted even, and they are all gone.  Just don't need them.  It doesn't take me any longer to snap the DLOC back onto my rifle than it does to safely stow a monocular. YMMV.
View Quote
How do you get it in the right slots without using a white light?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How do you get it in the right slots without using a white light?
View Quote
LaRue index clips in front of and behind where the DLOC should go.  It seriously takes 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LaRue index clips in front of and behind where the DLOC should go.  It seriously takes 2 seconds.
View Quote
This fellow turned me on to those and they are awesome!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't know how to handle the Freedom, and would probably have a nervous breakdown being around all of the so called "Assault" rifles you guys use for hunting.
All kidding aside, I would like to come down, but not until I get my 536 sighted in on my newly built NY compliant 35gunner AR type of a gun you wouldn't call a rifle.
The 35gunner was designed by a fellow from Upstate NY. It's a 6.5 grendel case necked up .35 cal.
It shoots a 200 grn FTX projo at 2,700 fps from a 18" barrel and drops anything it hits with authority.
I would love to come down and see what it does to a Hog or two.
I'll keep your offer in mind as the snow starts falling up here.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This fellow turned me on to those and they are awesome!!
View Quote
Glad you like them. Tacosis, PM me your addy if you want me to send some your way. I have plenty extra.

Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the offer but I’m good bro.   My Reap is a dedicated scanner unless I get another dedicated night rifle.   Good idea though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t have any thermal hunting exp. I do have hog hunting exp.  What I don’t have immediately around here are hogs. (while not hogs, I do have javilina close). Now what I don’t have in hogs I make up for in coyotes, jack rabbits, cotton tails, pairie dogs, fox and cats.  I can hunt those off my porch.

I can spec these until I get paralysis through analysis.  It seems like 640x480 12mic 60h with 35mm+ glass are decent out to two hundred yards.  Nothing seems to all that great once you push the digital zoom out a few.

Knowing me I’ll end up with more than one scope when all is said and done...lol.  I wish I knew when the next jump in tech was coming.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Glad you like them. Tacosis, PM me your addy if you want me to send some your way. I have plenty extra.

https://i.imgur.com/aK1t22Y.gif
View Quote
I just got my XP50 about 6 weeks ago...couple questions. Are you hunting hogs or coyotes when using that as a scanner and then quick attaching it on the gun?
With the XP50 having no hand strap and no obvious way of attaching a lanyard, do you have anthing as drop insurance when it's not mounted to the rifle?

I dont have a Dloc mount but I tested the Pulsar QD mount with a 5 shot group, pulling it off every shot, and I was just over 1" at 100. I was pretty happy with that. My concern would be that coyotes can pop up close or charge in hard not leaving much time for attaching the scope without getting busted. Seems like it would work well for stalking hogs though.
Those index clips are a nice tip!
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My concern would be that coyotes can pop up close or charge in hard not leaving much time for attaching the scope without getting busted. Seems like it would work well for stalking hogs though.
Those index clips are a nice tip!
View Quote
That's the exact reason I got a thermal spotter, and then another.
I started out using my AN/PAS19 scope as both, as it has QD mounts, a hand strap and quite frankly, there weren't any spotters available back in the late 80's that were worth a shit and affordable, plus all of them didn't weigh less than a cinder block because of the battery size needed to power them.
I schooled some hungry dogs coming in with trying to mount the scope quickly out in the field.
As my pay increased, I ended up getting a Raptor NV scope and used it as my primary and used the AN as a dedicated spotter.
You really don't need a high end spotter.
Something light weight that'll be able to see if somethings out there, you can ID with the scope if necessary.
I've been using an XP50 and an IR patrol for a long time.
The XP is small enough to fit in a pocket, is armored and has a neck strap.
The patrol is bigger, but has a hand strap. It also doubles as a scope, and I have a QD mount on it.
Both units run on AA batteries, as does my Elcan specter,E caller, NV scope's and IR illuminator's.
I don't have to worry about carrying different types of batteries and that's something to consider when your buying optics.
My new 536 ( which Is on back order ) runs on CR123A's, so I've been stocking up on those.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Backorders everywhere.....so much for 536.

I finally decided on Trijicon Reaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top