Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 4:46:10 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a cheap IR flashlight as I get back into NV?  

I'll upgrade at some point but would like something cheap to train with/play with for now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ultrafire UF T20

Solarforce L2
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used the Ultrafire for years with no issues. They are reasonably priced and come in two different Nm spectrums. Lots of them at Ebay..........
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ultrafire UF T20

Solarforce L2
View Quote
This is what I would do on a budget. To make it even more durable with basic hand tools take apart the tail cap switch and  add solder to where the spring meets the circuit board, also adding solder to bulb where the spring meets the models base. This mod will ensure your light will be less prone to breakage under recoil. I've done this mod to .308 and 12ga shotguns using buck and slugs with good results. Although I would not use it for duty/HD unless I didnt have a choice with me being a SureFire/Malkoff/Elzetta snob and all.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ordered a couple of Solarforce models off Ebay per SOT's recommendation. Going to try later tonight. The price can't be beat that's for sure....
View Quote
I personally like to put the SolarForce drop-in modules in the Surefire 6P housing because the L2 SolarForce body is so big and heavy. Either way this is a pretty good compact, non adjustable floodlight. Technically the drop-in module is less money if someone already has a P60 compatible housing laying around. They WILL NOT fit SOME of the weaponlights because the heat sinking body is too large. These are a little bodacious so be friendly with your buddies that are in close proximity. If you accidentally point this at them it will completely wash out their image, temporarily blinding them.

At the time these were released there was nothing remotely like them being manufactured by a well known U.S. manufacturer. We have since filled the gap technology wise. There have been some reports of failures from recoil. I primarily use them helmet mounted.

I am interested in feedback from you on these. They don't fill every need but they are a good tool. I wish Surefire made an equivalent because I would trust it more.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is what I would do on a budget. To make it even more durable with basic hand tools take apart the tail cap switch and  add solder to where the spring meets the circuit board, also adding solder to bulb where the spring meets the models base. This mod will ensure your light will be less prone to breakage under recoil. I've done this mod to .308 and 12ga shotguns using buck and slugs with good results. Although I would not use it for duty/HD unless I didnt have a choice with me being a SureFire/Malkoff/Elzetta snob and all.
View Quote
I still feel a little snubbed that Gene Malkoff does not do any IR for us. I love his white lights. How much work would that be for him?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I usa a surefire M952v for focal IR on one side of my helmet and an ultrafire for diffuse iR. Both combined do really well.   Look for either the 3 watt or 5 watt ultrafire on amazon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The Ultrafire sounds like what I want but I do have a couple 6P's kicking around that would work with the SolarFire.

Which Nm spectrum is recommended?  I'll be using it with a PVS-14 in mostly heavily wooded areas.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I use 940Nm with my gen 3 14s with no issues. The 800Nm series should work with most gen 1 units, but will show glow to the naked eye...........
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can get a surefire M1 I'd do it. Usually in the $100 range and you'll have use for it after you upgrade
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I still feel a little snubbed that Gene Malkoff does not do any IR for us. I love his white lights. How much work would that be for him?
View Quote
I couldn't agree more. If Gene would make something like a M952V I'd be first in line to buy one. I'd also like to see him build a pistol light.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I missed a Surefire M1 a week or two ago and kick myself.

Most UF-T120 models on EBay don't mention if they're the 940Nm model or the 800 series.

I found a UF-120 940Nm model on Amazon but by the time you add the battery it's $65 which makes me think of just going to a quality light to begin with.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I couldn't agree more. If Gene would make something like a M952V I'd be first in line to buy one. I'd also like to see him build a pistol light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not even asking for anything that fancy - just some P60 and MagLite drop-ins with single outputs. All he should have to do is switch the LEDs and tweak the current limiting diodes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Most UF-T120 models on EBay don't mention if they're the 940Nm model or the 800 series.

I found a UF-120 940Nm model on Amazon but by the time you add the battery it's $65 which makes me think of just going to a quality light to begin with.  Any thoughts?
View Quote
I think there is a general marketwide cost to "upgrade" the Ultrafires to 940nm. I got an 850nm for $16. If you want to go cheap then I would get the 850nm and upgrade to something better later. I wouldn't break my back trying to get the "perfect" UltraFire light. When I'm building on a budget, I stay on budget. When I'm trying to get the performance, I leave the budget behind me. I try to not mix the two very much. I do make exceptions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think there is a general marketwide cost to "upgrade" the Ultrafires to 940nm. I got an 850nm for $16. If you want to go cheap then I would get the 850nm and upgrade to something better later. I wouldn't break my back trying to get the "perfect" UltraFire light. When I'm building on a budget, I stay on budget. When I'm trying to get the performance, I leave the budget behind me. I try to not mix the two very much. I do make exceptions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ultrafire comes in 940Nm. You just have to look closely at the listings to find which one you want. Worth mentioning though is that 940Nm doesn't work well with Gen 1 and 2 stuff. That said, the 940Nm Ultrafire works great with my Gen 3 stuff, and not bad with some of my Gen 2+ stuff. Good item for the money!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I use one of these mounted to my helmet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJ6H9RQ?tag=vglnk-c102-20

It's not really 5W, I think it's like 500mW, but it's been very good for me. I have an 850nm version as well, and it produces more light, but animals can see it, and it does produce a very visible glow if you're in a dark room.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use one of these mounted to my helmet:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoomable-Infrared-Flashlight-Hunting-Torch/dp/B01AJ6H9RQ?tag=vglnk-c102-20

It's not really 5W, I think it's like 500mW, but it's been very good for me. I have an 850nm version as well, and it produces more light, but animals can see it, and it does produce a very visible glow if you're in a dark room.
View Quote
That's not bad for $10. I've never really seen 850nm in person. Is it really that bright to the naked eye? I know it'd hard to find a picture online since everyone uses digital cameras nowadays so it make it 10 times brighter than it really is.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
It looks like a little red LED like on a TV or something. And no, it's not really that noticeable, I'm just being picky.

However, the 850nm is visible to animals. Deer will look up and stare at it just like they do with a normal flashlight. They don't do it with 940nm, and I get about the same throw. The 850nm is a lot brighter under NV, but it borders on unusable brightness at times. It reflects off trees and leaves a lot more than 940nm and there's a lot more splash.

I could try to remember to take a picture with my phone of both side-by-side.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It looks like a little red LED like on a TV or something. And no, it's not really that noticeable, I'm just being picky.

However, the 850nm is visible to animals. Deer will look up and stare at it just like they do with a normal flashlight. They don't do it with 940nm, and I get about the same throw. The 850nm is a lot brighter under NV, but it borders on unusable brightness at times. It reflects off trees and leaves a lot more than 940nm and there's a lot more splash.

I could try to remember to take a picture with my phone of both side-by-side.
View Quote
Hey thanks for the info. I jumped on getting a 940nm IR light just now. I've read countless reports from people saying animals do and don't react to 850nm but I saw a video of a fox jump up real quick when the guy turned on his 850nm IR lamp when he was hunting. Hopefully the 940nm works well with my Gen 2+ device.

This is what I actually got on the bay. Hopefully it works well. The plan was to mount it to my helmet once I can acquire some affordable/in stock rail setup.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my 940nm IR flashlight in the mail this morning. Shipping was fast as hell as I ordered it this past late Friday afternoon. It said it wasn't suppose to be here until this coming Thursday. Anyways it's a nice cheap little IR light. Sturdy enough that I won't worry about dropping it and busting it on day one. It will be helmet mounted by the way and I can confirm that it works very well on my Gen 2+ device. I'm assuming it'll be even brighter if I got a 850nm IR light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top