Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2016 3:30:21 PM EDT
So I have some diving coming up next week, and we are doing 2 night dives.

My question is, can I use my Sentinels underwater? This will be a freshwater dive, but I'd like to see if it's possible. I know I won't be able to use the remote battery pack and that's okay.

What say the experts?

Update:

So I'm back in town and can now write about my experiences. Yes, I went underwater with 10k worth of NODs, and they survived to tell the tale.

2 night dives at Devil's Den were eye opening and a little nerve wracking. First dive I wasn't paying close enough attention to my dive computer and hit 35 feet. Second one I only went to 25. Zero water intrusion, no fogging issues, and my lid helped me trim out a little since I tend to have a head down diving posture.

Diving with NODs is a whole new experience. Being able to see without a dive light really allows you to explore and see wildlife without scaring it away with white light. Though your head now has to be on a perpetual swivel due to the limited FOV. Zero issues with lum thanks to a full moon and an orientation light on the dive platform. Lots of fish, some MASSIVE catfish live in Devil's Den, seen by few that night but I was one of them. Also, the devil that lives in the water lights up like a motherfucker with the IR illuminator on the Sentinels. Made it easy to find him and rehide.

Overall an awesome experience, challenging, and worth all the crazy looks I got.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't take them past a few meters to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I talked to Chris Adams and he told me 10m absolute max depth. So I may fool around in the shallows, we shall see.

As for the helmet, it's easy, I already use a helmet when on overhead dives, so it's as easy as bolting on a USGI shroud to my bike helmet and dummy cording the shit out of the NODs.

I played around with my goggles and think I have enough clearance if I push the NODs out to their max extension.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I know Mums and some 14's were designed to be waterproof to 66 ft. Don't think I would be comfortable diving with them. I would put around in the shallows with a Mum but don't think I would do anything else

If I was diving at night a good light would be my friend
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
this sounds like it would be so awesome to do ................... with someone else's gear

you sir have a pair the size of basketballs
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
So I've decided to go with it, but I will not be breaking 20 feet. Give myself a good margin of error, and allow 1/3 of atmospheric pressure before I break the 2 ATM line.

I unfortunately don't have a way to record it so I'll try to describe it as best I can when we're done.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Good luck!  

I hope it's a happy report after.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
double tap.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just because you can do something does not mean its a good idea.

I'm fairly rough on my Sentinels but there are things I will not do if I do not have to. Im not a frogman, and I'm not on a HALO team so......

They are waterproof but how will you wear them with a helmet mask and regulator and snorkel? and a Tank which may inhibit movement with a helmet on.
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]
All of my pvs-14's claim 60' for water immersion. One company says 1 hour, and the other says 2 hours.  I've yet to try them in the water.  If they have issues at any distance up to 60' which is further than I would go,  I would hope the companies would honor their warranty.  I would probably need some dive goggles designed for that,  but I don't know if they make them for the pvs-14 or anything that uses the pvs-14 eye piece lens Assembly.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have examined the PVS-14 scopes designed for this depth. On the inside of the battery compartment the on/off switch is simply smeared with a bead of silicone. No thanks, I am not banking my 3K scope on a simple smear of some silicone.

May work fine around windows to keep water out but I don't trust it under water pressure.

Now the Mum power switch actually has O rings to form a seal. The Mum was designed from the ground up to be water proof to a certain depth.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Doc, thank you for the update. Ive always wondered what would be like to dive with Nods. I think it would take everything to a new level. Have any fogging or any concerns to be adressed for further dives?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#14]
No real issues that I ran into. I don't dive with a snorkel, so the helmet had no problems clearing my mask and had plenty of travel to get the NODs to clear as well. Didn't have any fogging issues with the NODs thankfully, cuz that would have sucked.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Damn, late to the party again as I just saw this thread and good to hear the final report, I have a few questions.

What helmet did you actually use?  
What was the temp of water (surcase and depth)?  Been damn cold everywhere across the US except Florida as of late. Wear a hoodie wet suit? (Dry suit)
What mask did you use?  (Since you mentioned, you did have enough clearance with the with the NOD's pushed out all the way, could you actually get a full FOV with the NOD so far extended to make room for the mask?
Would love to see pics of the setup?  

Great topic as I recently got certified 3 years ago after 20 years of snorkeling (waited too long to dice) and have great interest in this subject.  Also curious, what regulator, and BCD you using for us dive nerds?  I just got a Atomic T3 last year and it's breathes incredibly well!
View Quote

I ended up diving the knockoff bump helmet my wife bought me so I wouldn't have to dick around with my bike helmet I normally wear on overhead dives. The bungees were nice to have underwater.
We dove in FL, and every spot we dove have 72 degree water, so I used a 3mil suit, no hood, since I can't stand them anyway. My mask is a Cressi Panoramic 4, I like it because of the wider FOV, and the increased situational awareness. With the NODs I was able to get them clear of the mask but close enough I still had full FOV through them. Lopro is a good thing in this case!

As for the BC and Reg, I don't own either so I had to rent mine. went with a basic Cressi vest, and Sherwood first and second stages. Will be getting a wing and my own reg before my next dives, but will need some more research before pulling the trigger on those.

Here's how I geared up, minus the extra shit in the lid, I dove it slick, no battery pack.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply and pics. Be cool to film it underwater with our GoPro adpater, they (GP) has those waterproof cases. Also I see you use the ball-detent...Any issues with the contacts with water getting in there?

Edit, btw I have some review sites I used for my regs and BCD choices. PM if you want the links. My Atomic T3 is da bomb, but all their line is pretty solid with impeccable warranty and service.
View Quote

I didn't use the LPBP, just a CR123. So I didn't have any issues with the contacts, but I would bet that I would have had some shortage issues if I had, especially since I use the .Mil ANVIS pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top