Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 11:40:51 AM EDT
MikeMSD's thread got me to thinking about something today regarding weapon mounted PVS-14's.

It seems as people are doing this less and less, this thought (to me at least) was confirmed by the "Panteao Make Ready with Chappy: NVG / IR Skill Builder DVD" but the topic was just barely touched on.

For those who haven't seen the DVD it said something to the effect (I'm paraphrasing after watching it months ago) that weapons mounted NV has been proven in court time and time again not to be a good idea. I was assuming they were referring to POA/POI maybe, but was wondering if anyone knew of any of these cases that could be referenced? Furthermore can anyone explain why the POA/POI isn't good? It's not that I'm doubting it, I just figured the distance from the NV to the RD isn't ever changing and your eye (the part that could look on an off angle) is just looking at a screen. I guess I'm kinda stuck in my head thinking it's like parallax on a cheap scope, if it's not, I just want to gain a clearer understanding of the problem.

Also Chappy mentions he wasn't going to talk about hunting with NV or animals and IR and stuff like that, anyone know of a DVD that does?

Thanks in advance for any contributuions
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Also interested.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
POA/POI shift can range from negligible to severe with no real rhyme or reason (just not something the optic is designed for) when mounting forward of a daylight optic.  

Having not watched the video/DVD, however, I'm guessing he's probably talking about mounting behind a daylight optic.  

The biggest issues that you will run into is the obvious fact that unless you have another monocular head mounted - you need to point your weapon at anything you want to look at, and also the fact that under most circumstances, a daylight optic in front of the NOD will almost invariable result in some obstruction of the FOV, which is already fairly limited with most conventional NV monoculars, meaning not only do you have to point your weapon at what you're looking at - you can't see as much.  

What he meant by "proven in court," I cannot speculate--but beyond a limited number of circumstances where a rear mounted monocular might be useful, you're somewhat needlessly giving up a lot of situational awareness and safety using an exclusively weapon-mounted monocular.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I sometimes mount my 14 behind a Aimpoint when I get to a hunting spot but, I use a thermal monocular to scan with anyways. It doesn't change the POI one bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top