Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:05:40 PM EDT
I have a new/refurbished PVS-4. I've been looking at the TVS-5 lense assemblies.  Is there any real reason to get into one of these for around $400?  they don't magically transform the performance other than magnification, do they?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion you are better off with the standard PVS-4 optics, the TVS-5 lense is too unwieldy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
More mag 6x iirc, and they are absurdly huge... I wouldn't mount one on anything but a crew served weapon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Gen 3 PVS-4 that I put a new TVS-5 lens on. I use it on a tripod and for long-range viewing, stargazing and tracking satellites. It's awesome for that purpose. Forget about using it on a man-portable weapon, as the increase in magnification is relatively nominal for the extreme size differential. I believe it is 7x magnification.

My unit, before and after the lens conversion, next to a PVS-14 for comparison:

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang Horta! You could launch mortars out of that thing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow!  That thing is huge!  points well made.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about you guys, but the amount of usage I get from any night vision device goes up exponentially the smaller and lighter the device is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about you guys, but the amount of usage I get from any night vision device goes up exponentially the smaller and lighter the device is.
View Quote

Yeah the TVS isn't too practical.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#8]
-disregard last question-edited
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top